U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 02:51 PM

19,894 posts, read 18,907,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
The new McDonald's ad gives a clue: They advertise breakfast sandwiches and end the ad with saying that with these breakfast items, you get a soft drink for just $1. I nearly vomited when I saw the ad. Who drinks that crap for breakfast?
That IS disgusting. Soda for breakfast? I blame McDonald's for a lot of the obesity because they sort of started it all and they kept it up for all these years. Selling junk food, advertising it everywhere, pushing it on kids too. And I thought McDonald's was going to start selling healthier food.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 PM

5,367 posts, read 6,456,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That IS disgusting. Soda for breakfast? I blame McDonald's for a lot of the obesity because they sort of started it all and they kept it up for all these years. Selling junk food, advertising it everywhere, pushing it on kids too. And I thought McDonald's was going to start selling healthier food.
McDonalds really created a problem when they introduced supersizing and then deals on supersizing. You could get an enormous amount of food cheaper than the regular portions half the time. Or it would cost just a little more. That was back in the 90's but all the fast food places start giving better deals if you got larger quantities. I never understood the huge servings of any food that has been so prevalent in our restaurant culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 03:10 PM

19,894 posts, read 18,907,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
McDonalds really created a problem when they introduced supersizing and then deals on supersizing. You could get an enormous amount of food cheaper than the regular portions half the time. Or it would cost just a little more. That was back in the 90's but all the fast food places start giving better deals if you got larger quantities. I never understood the huge servings of any food that has been so prevalent in our restaurant culture.
And once a person gets used to a huge portion, that's what they want from then on. Lots of people probably think those giant sodas and huge burgers are normal. Of course that's what places like McDonald's want people to think=$$$$$$$$$. Once they get used to the huge portions, they'll spend more money to get huge portions in everything.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:29 PM

11,854 posts, read 3,230,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Very precise! I calculated 21.7 and left it at that. Note at that detail we are discussing maybe a pound.

I'm pretty sure when I hit mid-line I'll find I still need to lose a bit more to look good, perhaps several pounds. Mid-line is right for only a few. Many will look and feel better either higher or lower. BMI is just a screening tool.

I'll be looking at how my clothes fit at my waist line. The gym will take care of how my arms and legs look.
Yeah, I added the paragraph about body fat % because, based on definition I'm already seeing, I may hit the same body fat % this time at 179-180 that I did the last tie I was at 172-173. If I ht the fat % and waist size I want, and those two result in a weight of 180 rather than say 173 or 175, that will be fine with me .

Old 08-08-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Now that Starbucks and Panera have changed their internet agreements/policies, I patronize McDonalds, Barnes and Noble, Whole Foods, etc. when I want to use the internet when I'm out. Almost every time at McDonalds, all I get is a soda (cup is handed to me...$1.00 + tax...free refills for that visit)....a diet soda....or water (both from the beverage bar). A handful of times a year, I'll also get a Sausage Burrito (300 calories), which is mostly egg and cheese.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:27 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,337,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yeah, I added the paragraph about body fat % because, based on definition I'm already seeing, I may hit the same body fat % this time at 179-180 that I did the last tie I was at 172-173. If I ht the fat % and waist size I want, and those two result in a weight of 180 rather than say 173 or 175, that will be fine with me .
BTW get a smart WiFi scale and you can monitor weight, fat %, muscle %, and BMI, and auto-logging. I have the Weight Gurus scale which is okay.

In my case if I get my waist size good all the rest will fall in. All I really need is a tape measure, but the scale and Fitbit are good motivating tools.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
BTW get a smart WiFi scale and you can monitor weight, fat %, muscle %, and BMI, and auto-logging. I have the Weight Gurus scale which is okay.

In my case if I get my waist size good all the rest will fall in. All I really need is a tape measure, but the scale and Fitbit are good motivating tools.
Yeah, in the past....since available...I've shied away from those for two reasons

1. Avoiding reality (I'd let myself get up to 252 in early March of 2017....I've lost 59 lbs since then)

2. I think the degree to which we are watched/tracked in society is excessive, so I've sort of philosophically stayed away from that as much as possible (I've never had a phone data plan, the two main phones I use have removable batteries (and I leave the batteries out unless I'm making or expecting a call), etc.). Over a year ago, I did get a FitBit (because the rep showed me how to put the settings on the site to 'not share' ), and I wear it every day. After hearing that the new iPad 12.9 will eliminate the headphone jack (), I will probably buy the current model within the next few months. I'll probably get the cellular version, but may not use that part right away (AFAIK, I can still add an unlimited iPad data plan (that would have an additional data only phone number assigned to it) to my non data plan per use AT&T prepaid phone plan). If there is some way to have a Wi-Fi (or maybe Bluetooth?.....or even Air Drop ) connection between an iPad or my (not activated as a phone) iPhone SE...set up in a 'device to device' way..I'd be up for doing that.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:18 AM

1,241 posts, read 490,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
And that is crap.

Food lobbyists and FDA.

Crap, like a lot of the foods in supermarkets: HFCs, foods loaded with sugar, sodium, preservatives, meat with hormones and anti-biotics.

Organic fruit and veggies and if meat, free range.

Be vary weary of anything labelled "grass fed." In the US, that is often a lie/scam.

Quote:
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.
No, there isn't.

The 300-pounder you witnessed at Wal-mart are at the wal-mart in my hometown, and many obese in my local super-market, which actually offers lots of healthy options.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:22 AM

766 posts, read 280,439 times
well, i know i did get too fat by eating too much..... food was my heroin. I dunno. it seems it's ok to use alcohol to de-stress, cope with life. Some of us are better at life. coping. they have supportive family or friends. they grow up in healthier environments where daily pain, terror or upheaval was never a factor, and they didn't have to find ways to desensitize, protect themselves from pain, they might never have experienced debilitating stress until they hit late 20's, trying to claw their way thru work garbage, a realization the maybe shouldn't have married who they did, had to make unethical choices to get higher up the food chain, maybe they couldn't make it in their job of choice, so started a round of one unsuccessful job or another....there are so many reasons one can't cope with life. i grew up around a lot of people who couldn't cope with their lives and they all drank too much. looking back now, at least half of them were alcoholics. one aunt definitely was addicted to pills. It was perfectly fine to be a jerk at the end of the night, pick fights, get belligerent, escalate to physical altercations, fall down, pass out, be zoned out on valium....... but at least they were thin. never "LOOKED" abnormal to the rest of the world ... and the child who lived in that morass of addiction? how did i cope? i literally learned how to leave my body.... i know now i didn't, but the mind is a marvel and mysterious thing. when confronted with horror, i could escape my body. i remember rising, then floating to the corner of the ceiling, trying to get out, and then miraculously it would happen, i'd be soaring over the woods behind my house. what a wonderful thing to achieve, this out. this way to cope. one's mind can save you.

it can also destroy you when you yourself fall prey to addiction. It's definitely not just the eating too much, it's the changes in your brain chemistry when you can't stop doing what is so self destructive. And as i got older, in my teens, and no longer being spoon fed by my mother like most kids are.... my food addiction started with Kraft mac and cheese. I'd eat the whole damn box. I had spendable money from babysitting, it all went to Drake's crumb cakes. the leaving my body stopped. i had found another way to cope that felt just as blissful as flying.

i don't know about the genetic component enough, i know i had a grandmother with diabetes and was severely overweight. funny how that very heavy grandmother wasn't seen as ugly or abnormal, she just was this ample warmth, love, comfort...and so was her way to show love, with amazing tables laden with Polish food choices. Yes. there definitely is an emotional component to overeating. Food is often love.

i hit bottom when i was diagnosed with diabetes four years ago. and i lost 100 pounds. i got so scared that my mind was jolted out of its fog of the pain, desolation, unmitigated sadness, loss and terrors... and i just started to care about myself. for the first time ever after a lifetime of abusing myself with food and the abuse from an alcoholic father and mother and husband that should have loved me. and i knew the only way forward was to cut out all the food i craved so desperately, that i was addicted to. the carbs. all bread, all pasta, all rice, all potatoes. Like an alcoholic, where you can never take one drink again, well............................................. now that i conquered the diabetes with my nutrition, it's been hard trying to assimilate a piece of bread or a dish with rice into my life. Even in healthy cooking class, rice, potatoes, bread were there. And i'm struggling. Perhaps i can't quite fully realize that i have to life a life with no carbs because i just can't manage the urge to eat more of them. The wonder of the bliss of a baked potato with sour cream and chives can't ever be enjoyed again.... going back to my stoic, pure, no carb diet is so devastating i almost want to die. but then i don't. I just wish i could............................................. ......................................... with all my heart.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:32 AM

3,596 posts, read 2,404,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
And that is crap.

Food lobbyists and FDA.

Crap, like a lot of the foods in supermarkets: HFCs, foods loaded with sugar, sodium, preservatives, meat with hormones and anti-biotics.

Organic fruit and veggies and if meat, free range.

Be vary weary of anything labelled "grass fed." In the US, that is often a lie/scam.

No, there isn't.

The 300-pounder you witnessed at Wal-mart are at the wal-mart in my hometown, and many obese in my local super-market, which actually offers lots of healthy options.
When I used to eat grains, I looked for cereals that we're not loaded with sugar, could not find them.

The term "grass fed" is indeed a farce. It should say "grass finished".
Cattle are started in the fields eating grass, when they are ready for market they are sent to the feed lots for a few months to fatten them up. The USDA still allows them to use the term "grass fed" to describe these cattle.

'Grass-Fed' Beef Is a Scam and a Few Other Things You Need to Know About Your Meat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss