U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 01:57 PM

10,784 posts, read 10,195,889 times

Advertisements

Most of America is overweight regardless of where you go. I was recently at a water park and 95 percent of the people were overweight or obese. More obese people than "just a few pounds". Hard not to see why - huge 44 oz cups of soda, lots of fatty, processed meats, "loaded" funnel cakes...

It was hard to find one person young or old who didn't have a weight problem. That's the reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 PM

32,386 posts, read 59,858,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
The new McDonald's ad gives a clue: They advertise breakfast sandwiches and end the ad with saying that with these breakfast items, you get a soft drink for just $1. I nearly vomited when I saw the ad. Who drinks that crap for breakfast?

Where in the ad does it say you're required to have a soft drink for breakfast?

McDonald's often runs promotions where any size soft drinks or any size coffee are $1. That's any time, not just at breakfast.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:02 PM

588 posts, read 302,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Where in the ad does it say you're required to have a soft drink for breakfast?

McDonald's often runs promotions where any size soft drinks or any size coffee are $1. That's any time, not just at breakfast.
I'll buy the coffee but I never drink soda pop.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 PM

203 posts, read 487,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.
Check out the percentage of overweight people at a buffet meal some day and the amount of food on their plates. I quit going near buffets. Used to be there lots.
Doc gave me my ultimatum many years when I went in for a physical for the first time. I was having that heavy weight on my chest feeling. I had 480 cholesterol and 1800 triglycerides.
Doc gave me 3 choices:
1- I could keep going the way I am and live a short time.
2- I could keep going the way I am, take a lot of pills and live a little longer.
3- I could lose a lot of weight, take a few pills and live a long time.
That was about 25 or 30 years ago. I got busy and lost over 80 pounds partly because I simple couldn't afford a lot of pills and because suicide wasn't on my agenda.
Had to laugh the other day watching TV. The were discussing the great wave of scooters downtown in the city. They interviewed an overweight guy about what he thought of them, he said, "That's why there are so many overweight Americans. They don't walk anymore.
I walk a lot and every once in a while I meet an elderly person and they inform me that the reason they are walking is because they've had a heart attack and the Doctor told them to start walking.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:15 AM

3,918 posts, read 2,751,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The first 24 cities are located in the southern part of the U.S. What could be the cause?
Maybe it's the sweet tea? Sweet potato casseroles? Fresh peach cobblers?

I don't know, really. We're in the south now and we see a lot of very fit people as well. It's great to live in a place where you can be active outside year round.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:42 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,313,412 times
The South: lots of poor population, lots of really good food! People in lower socioeconomic classes are less educated, and surrounded by bad examples of obese people (their family, people in everyday life). They don't realize the cost of obesity. They may not realize they're fat, or care.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:44 AM

44,880 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
According to this list, L.A. is at 80 on the top fattest cities in the country. The city I live (see above) is #3. Not good is all I can say. Chicago believe it or not is 88.

https://wallethub.com/edu/fattest-ci...america/10532/
Interesting list.

I am sorry, but I'm not buying into the whole "food that's bad for you is cheaper." (Not saying you said this - just discussing it.) No. EASY food that's bad for you is cheaper, but for the vast majority of people in the US, inexpensive food - food that you might have to prepare at home - is available, and the less processed it is, the less it generally costs. Beans, rice, apples, lettuce, bananas, onions, a whole chicken - this and more - all these foods are pretty inexpensive and CERTAINLY less expensive than processed or fast foods.

For instance - a whole chicken around here costs about $6. So does one meal at a fast food place. But you can make a whole chicken last four meals or more! Slice up some tomatoes, cook some beans (both really inexpensive) and maybe make some cornbread (corn meal, flour, eggs, a splash of milk, salt, baking powder, and either butter or bacon grease or whatever - some sort of oil). Drink a glass of ice water with it, or a glass of tea. Even with all that - that's fewer calories than a fast food meal, and like I said, you've got multiple meals out of it - evening out to definitely no more expensive than fast food, and probably LESS expensive, and definitely healthier!

My grandmothers were both southern women. They cooked southern food at home. They rarely ate out. They also didn't count calories or worry about nutritional balance - they just cooked and ate mostly seasonal, homemade foods. They were both fit and trim till their dying days. Of course, they also both gardened, both hung their clothes out on the line, etc. They MOVED and they took the time to cook. Oh, and neither of them was ever into any sort of screen time, though they both had TVs. They would watch maybe half an hour in the evenings, maybe an hour tops. They just weren't sedentary, and they cooked at home. They weren't GREAT chefs - they just considered cooking most of their meals to be what you do.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:52 AM

44,880 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The South: lots of poor population, lots of really good food! People in lower socioeconomic classes are less educated, and surrounded by bad examples of obese people (their family, people in everyday life). They don't realize the cost of obesity. They may not realize they're fat, or care.
I agree with this in general. Here's another interesting list - obesity rankings in the US by ethnicity.
https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...2:%22asc%22%7D

Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 AM

588 posts, read 302,149 times
I have family members of family members who live in West Virginia. They're all big. One of their favorite side dishes at get togethers is a macaroni salad made with cups of sugar and cans of sweetened condensed milk!

Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 AM

3,567 posts, read 2,391,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree with this in general. Here's another interesting list - obesity rankings in the US by ethnicity.
https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...2:%22asc%22%7D
The higher rate for blacks and Hispanics may be due to the type of diet that people lead. Economics may also play a role. This is not the case for all of the states however. It's also interesting on how much lower Asians are than the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss