U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 03:17 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,085,386 times

Advertisements

I stand by every word I've written. Lots of people are ignorant about diet and health and lack resources to properly deal if not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 03:20 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,481,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Blaming everyone else for a persons obesity problem solves nothing. Very few people have genuine medical reasons that make them obese. Maybe overweight, but to get to obesity there is a lot more happening besides food intolerance.
This.

People can gain some weight and have trouble losing it due to all sorts of medical conditions - genetic predisposition, hypothyroid, diabetes, medication etc. Some - 10 lbs, 15, maybe 20 or 30 even. I can see this amount of weight being hard to lose with these challenges even on a healthy diet. (not all of these, however, are a result of some evil ingredient in your food).

However, I have yet to see a truly large, obese, 300+lb person that got that way by NOT overeating. Regardless of what you're eating, if you consume, say, 1200-1500 calories a day for your average woman your whole life, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you'll keep gaining weight and become significantly obese, even if it's 1200 calories of nothing but fries and ice cream. I just don't buy it.

I've watched shows like My 600-lb Life. None of these people got to where they are by eating small, normal portions and simply being sensitive to something in their food. None. They're eating upwards of 5000 calories a day. They go to the drive-through like it's their job. They also all lose weight after getting gastric bypass, which means that it's simply the quantity of food that was the problem, since this is the only issue that the surgery addresses. All of them could have just as easily lost the weight without surgery if they cut their calories down to the same amount. So no, there aren't complex metabolic issues brought on by evil pesticides going on here. Just way.too.much.food.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,481,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I stand by every word I've written. Lots of people are ignorant about diet and health and lack resources to properly deal if not.
You really think that the vast majority of obese people are destitute, illiterate, and have no access to the Internet or a public library? Seriously?
I really doubt it. If these people can afford to drive a car over to the drive-through, they can figure out that they should eat less junk if they want to lose weight. It seriously isn't rocket science we're talking about here.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:05 PM

5,369 posts, read 6,462,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
You really think that the vast majority of obese people are destitute, illiterate, and have no access to the Internet or a public library? Seriously?
I really doubt it. If these people can afford to drive a car over to the drive-through, they can figure out that they should eat less junk if they want to lose weight. It seriously isn't rocket science we're talking about here.
It is simply amazing the lengths people will go to in order to justify obesity as something other than plain old over eating.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:10 PM

3,730 posts, read 2,032,226 times
Quote:
Shaming will do no good. I have no objection to a good discussion about the food industry and our poor American lifestyle but I draw the line at shaming. Yes it is a shame that a woman of a relatively young age had to ride around in a cart due to obesity but I feel sorry for her rather than look down on her. She is ignorant to the cause of her condition and if not, she lacks the information and resources to deal with it.

Good topic.
I thought hard about using the word shame in the original post.I'm not really sure what other word I could use although there probably is one.I don't believe that woman was ignorant of the cause of her huge size or lacked the information and resources to know about it.She was just plain greedy.
It's the fact that obesity is considered normal that concerns me the most.As though it's a medical condition that deserves compassion and pity because the victim shouldn't bear responsibility for stuffing their faces for years.
Worse than that it's what they do to their children. You see obese parents and nine times out of ten their kids are fat too.
I sat in a Chinese restaurant a few weeks ago and listened to two grotesquely overweight parents - I'm talking needing a chair for each butt cheek - forcing their plump daughter to each the fortune cookie that came with the bill even though she was protesting she couldn't eat any more. It made me so angry I wanted to shame them into silence in front of the whole restaurant.
But, of course, I didn't.
As a society we excuse their greed and gluttony even though obesity pushes up healthcare costs for everyone just as much as the drunk, the smoker or the drug addict ruining their lives and other people's too.
Most of all I despair at those politicians in the pocket of the powerful food lobby who won't do anything to prevent the biggest single threat to American society.
Next time you walk around the mall take a couple of minutes to count the fat people and the normal-sized folk.And by normal I mean people who look like they used to in your parent's generation.
It will really surprise you.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 PM

1,095 posts, read 444,214 times
Honestly, it's portion control, period.

Not saying that all other elements don't come inplay, but even with bad food, portion control.

The way food is processed should still be given a thought. And also why such food is forbidden anywhere else outside the us.

But still and before all, PORTION CONTROL, most people don't have a clue what a normal sized plate should look like.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:18 PM

Yes I'm serious. I'm pretty sure that woman with the handicap cart wasn't thinking, "Well this is probably some of the worst "food" on the planet that I am buying to feed myself and my child." as she was rolling down the aisles of the grocery. She probably wasn't thinking at all. That cart full of Frosted Frosting Flakes, party sized corn chips, cookies, hotdogs and the like were what she was raised on. I'm sure if in another setting she was asked, she could probably come up with some of the right answers but in the store she was on autopilot repeating what she had learned growing up.

I'm also pretty sure that she believes that her obesity is her fault. In all of my years of living telling a fat person both individually and collectively that they are: 1) fat, 2) need to diet, eat less or better, 3) needs to apply willpower has been the "go to" modus operandi, and it has been a singularly ineffective approach. Do you all really think telling obese people that it's their fault and to "stop it" is new information or in the least bit helpful? I don't think so.

Until I understood the systemic issues both internally and externally that I was facing I was unable to make the changes that I needed to make. IOW, those that fail to learn (and understand) history are doomed to repeat it.

Yes obese people are guilty of eating too much but the devil is in the details. Why do they eat so much? Are they aware for example that their less than stellar lunch of a bag of popcorn and a soda sets them up to be ravenously hungry a few hours later. Rinse and repeat. Are they aware that their shear BMI has most likely caused them to be insulin resistant creating problems with metabolism and hunger, a vicious circle that yes, they got themselves into by poor food choices and getting so large but getting out is another matter altogether? Is that woman aware that every moment of sitting in that cart is part of her problem and that simply moving around, not necessarily engaging in active exercise will help her? I don't think that she understands any of those things nor do most people that I know.

Until someone has something better to offer than the sanitized versions of "quit eating so much you big fat pig" it's just fat bashing and shaming. If you can't own it, don't do it. FWIW.

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 02-04-2015 at 05:31 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm serious. I'm pretty sure that woman with the handicap cart wasn't thinking, "Well this is probably some of the worst "food" on the planet that I am buying to feed myself and my child." as she was rolling down the aisles of the grocery. She probably wasn't thinking at all. That cart full of Frosted Frosting Flakes, party sized corn chips, cookies, hotdogs and the like were what she was raised on. I'm sure if in another setting she was asked, she could probably come up with some of the right answers but in the store she was on autopilot repeating what she had learned growing up.

I'm also pretty sure that she believes that her obesity is her fault. In all of my years of living telling a fat person both individually and collectively that they are: 1) fat, 2) need to diet, eat less or better, 3) needs to apply willpower has been the "go to" modus operandi, and it has been a singularly ineffective approach. Do you all really think telling obese people that it's their fault and to "stop it" is new information or in the least bit helpful? I don't think so.

Until I understood the systemic issues both internally and externally that I was facing I was unable to make the changes that I needed to make. IOW, those that fail to learn (and understand) history are doomed to repeat it.

Yes obese people are guilty of eating too much but the devil is in the details. Why do they eat so much? Are they aware for example that their less than stellar lunch of a bag of popcorn and a soda sets them up to be ravenously hungry a few hours later. Rinse and repeat. Are they aware that their shear BMI has most likely caused them to be insulin resistant creating problems with metabolism and hunger, a vicious circle that yes, they got themselves into by poor food choices and getting so large but getting out is another matter altogether? Is that woman aware that every moment of sitting in that cart is part of her problem and that simply moving around, not necessarily engaging in active exercise will help her? I don't think that she understands any of those things nor do most people that I know.

Until someone has something better to offer than the sanitized versions of "quit eating so much you big fat pig" it's just fat bashing and shaming. If you can't own it, don't do it. FWIW.
We understand a lot on this board. You are just simply making excuses. NEWSFLASH - her obesity IS her fault. She ALSO has the power to not be obese if she learns portion control and how to exercise.
Obese people are not stupid as you are implying they are. If all those things caused people to be obese then we would ALL be obese. Plenty of thin people put garbage into their bodies. The difference is they do not OVER EAT.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
We understand a lot on this board. You are just simply making excuses. NEWSFLASH - her obesity IS her fault. She ALSO has the power to not be obese if she learns portion control and how to exercise.
Obese people are not stupid as you are implying they are. If all those things caused people to be obese then we would ALL be obese. Plenty of thin people put garbage into their bodies. The difference is they do not OVER EAT.
Who said it wasn't her fault? Is this news to anyone? It is also the fault of the food industry and the medical and diet industry buy into some of it too. That might be news to her.

You make my point for me. As for an avocation I sell vintage clothing. A lot of people of course by virtue of size will not be my customers however a majority of relatively thin/normal sized young women have a hard time with the waistlines and bodices of garments as well. A lot of them are carrying weight from their waists upward, the most unhealthy place to carry body fat. Even taking into consideration that back in the day they wore cinchers and the like, the trend of normal sized women not fitting into vintage garments is alarming. I rarely see true pear shaped women any more. In the 70s when I was a teen, almost all of the girls were pears to some degree. So are these women who are keeping their weight in line but carrying fat unhealthily around their midsections like a menopausal woman not also the victims of the modern food industry? Darn tooting.

If our grazing meat sources are fed hormones to induce weight gain, do these same hormone residues induce weight gain in people with ready access to high calorie low nutrient food? I believe they do.

To assume that the readers of this forum and those interested and informed vis a vis health include a woman that is so obese that she can't easily walk with a cart filled full of non-food crapola, then you are mistaken.

I've touched a nerve here. The excuse making thus far has been for fat intolerance and that alone. As long as someone isn't fat they can be as unhealthy as they want and it's all good right? Not to me, excuse me for thinking that we are on the health forum that we might be concerned about health.

And in our parent's day and I'm probably one of them, there wasn't a fast food joint on every corner, nor the plethora of invented food constructs that we have today, nor was it consumed on a daily basis. I'm taking the industry to task and you apologists for junk just keep selling your snake oil.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:44 PM

"I've touched a nerve here. The excuse making thus far has been for fat intolerance and that alone. As long as someone isn't fat they can be as unhealthy as they want and it's all good right? Not to me, excuse me for thinking that we are on the health forum that we might be concerned about health. "

No you have not touched a nerve. And not all apple shaped women are that way due to modern food. Some but not all. Plenty of belly fat way back when as well. I am a child of the 60's and I can recall quite a few apple shaped girls and women. My best friend actually gained in her belly only. So belly fat is not some new phenomenon, it is genetics. Hispanic women carry weight in their bellies as well as a lot of Asian women.
I do agree that modern food plays a huge part in the over all health of people and that the average person does not pay that much attention. But when you go from fat to obese and you are riding around in a cart you are not clueless as to how you got there or what you can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss