U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:26 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,245,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Air-conditioned gyms are for lightweights.
I like to do all my exercise outside in fresh air - and the heat is a really good plus for getting the heart-rate going and working up a sweat.
The only benefit of a gym that I see is watching good-looking women work out.
Sweating outside in the heat is for dullards.

Working up a sweat won't help build better muscles. I see hoodie wearing nuts at my gym all the time, mistaking sweat and consequent water loss as weight loss. All they are doing is raising their core temperature (maybe dangerously, and raising your core helps nothing except for increasing misery) and the lost water comes back when they slake their thirst. — I had a discussion with one of the trainers about this, and that's another benefit of a gym: that you can get free advice from the experts.

The benefit of my gym is the very wide selection of diverse training equipment, the great feeling of being surrounded by very positive people (it's synergistic), and I enjoy people watching both men and women. I enjoy that when I'm resting between sets.

You have some good ideas Roscoe but you have some very strange ideas about gyms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 10:40 AM

31,405 posts, read 19,839,117 times
^^^ Couldn't agree more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-16-2018, 11:19 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,268,629 times
I think the main reason for the obesity epidemic is not enough exercise. Doctors tell their patients that exercise won't help with losing weight, because you just get hungrier and eat more. That is not true! Doing enough exercise, every day, over the years, will keep the metabolism normal, and therefore prevent (or correct) obesity.

So, having been told that exercise won't help, most people naturally enough won't bother with it. And their doctors also recommend a low-fat diet, which is the opposite of what they need.

Natural fat is mostly ok. What screws up the metabolism is refined carbohydrates.

So, until the medical industry catches up with what so many of us already know, the obesity epidemic will keep getting worse. Good for the medical industry, terrible for everyone else.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:34 AM

4,969 posts, read 11,018,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I think the main reason for the obesity epidemic is not enough exercise. Doctors tell their patients that exercise won't help with losing weight, because you just get hungrier and eat more. That is not true! Doing enough exercise, every day, over the years, will keep the metabolism normal, and therefore prevent (or correct) obesity.

So, having been told that exercise won't help, most people naturally enough won't bother with it. And their doctors also recommend a low-fat diet, which is the opposite of what they need.

Natural fat is mostly ok. What screws up the metabolism is refined carbohydrates.

So, until the medical industry catches up with what so many of us already know, the obesity epidemic will keep getting worse. Good for the medical industry, terrible for everyone else.
What a load of nonsense....

So "doctors" tell their patients that exercise won't help with losing weight because you get hungrier and eat more????

Please document where you found THIS gem......

You state that "having been told exercise won't help, naturally people won't bother with it"

So in other words, the obesity epidemic is the fault of doctors.....right makes perfect sense....

Of course literally 2 lines later you state that "until the medical industry catches up with what so many of us already know the obesity epidemic will keep getting worse"

So now apparently, "many of us know better"

So which is it.... either everyone in the United States is a complete idiot because the only way they would KNOW about the benefits of exercise is if their doctors tell them about it.....or "many of us know better" but what....just blindly follow the advice of these evil doctors????

Unfortunately, it seems every doctor in the US is telling their patients NOT to exercise because they might eat more later....and we are all following that advice...even though many of us know better....its a shame that the benefits of exercise are being hidden from so many....

Yep....you have definitely found the cause of the obesity epidemic in the US!!!!

Nice work

Old 09-16-2018, 11:35 AM

31,405 posts, read 19,839,117 times
I have NEVER had a doctor who did not recommend exercise. My husband's doctors all recommend exercise.

If someone has a doctor who doesn't recommend exercise, they should get a new doctor.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
Quote:
I agree, exercise keeps your metabolism revved up. Sitting on a couch (like I'm doing now) slows things down. You cannot be healthy if you do not get sufficient exercise. (I'm planning a gym session for later today.)

Quote:
My mother in her elderly years was as skinny as a bird, just short of anorexia, and I kept trying to get her to walk a short distance 3-4 times a week (even a city block!). And she was a fanatic about getting everything in low fat or non-fat. Not getting any exercise and eating like a bird IMO set her up for an early grave. (She was 92. I'm sure she could have made 100+ and retained her mental acuity, if only she had taken my exercise and food advice.)

Quote:
I've said that before too, and check the glycemic index for the vegetables you eat.

I have my "don't eat white stuff" diet recommendation. White stuff is refined carbohydrates: rice, bread, pasta, potatoes, sugar. I eat this stuff only a couple times a week. My usual dinner is a protein serving and a low glycemic index vegetable. No rice, etc.

Quote:
It's the food industry, not the medical industry. The food industry put the HFCS into our food because it's cheaper than sugar, and that's because HFCS is an undesirable byproduct of other processes (which is why it's cheap).

ETA: It's the fast food industry that's responsible for super-sizing our food servings (and super-sizing our bodies).

Old 09-16-2018, 01:01 PM

1,079 posts, read 572,272 times
Quote:
I think the main reason for the obesity epidemic is not enough exercise. Doctors tell their patients that exercise won't help with losing weight, because you just get hungrier and eat more. ......
Where is that doctor, I'd like to go to him/her so he can tell me not exercise. Just last week my doctor told me to exercise.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:04 PM

1,973 posts, read 663,550 times
While I agree on the many benefits of exercise, my daily workout burns 600-700 calories a day. That's- what?- half a bag of pork rinds? Still, I'd hate to have to cut my calorie consumption by 600-700 calories a day and lose my wonderful gym-rat legs.

I would find it hard to believe that doctors don't recommend exercise because it will make you take in more calories than you burn- but if someone takes a brisk 15-minute walk after dinner and thinks that will burn off the pie they had for dessert, they're wrong!

On exercising in heat: I have to be very careful, having had two attacks of dehydration in the last year- one on a 35-mile bike ride and one in India, even though I was very careful to drink lots of water. I got a supply of electrolyte powder and now I'm careful about using it BEFORE it's needed. I just got back from the gym and plan to mow the lawn in 90-degree heat later, so this is a good day for it.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:17 PM

I just don't accept that burning calories is the only benefit of exercise. Judging from my 20 minutes at 3.5 mph treadmill routine that burns about 120 calories, no after dinner walk would never burn off anything significant. Such walks are to jiggle your digestive tract. IMO.

I went to a doctor once and discovered he was grossly obese. That was my first and last visit to him.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:03 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,413,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I just don't accept that burning calories is the only benefit of exercise. Judging from my 20 minutes at 3.5 mph treadmill routine that burns about 120 calories, no after dinner walk would never burn off anything significant. Such walks are to jiggle your digestive tract. IMO.

I went to a doctor once and discovered he was grossly obese. That was my first and last visit to him.
Exercise has so many benefits that everyone should be exercising regardless of whether they need to lose weight or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss