Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 08:18 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,991,333 times

Advertisements

I completely agree Lucky.

I did my gym duty today, had a great workout and added sets, and got comfortable with more weight and more reps. Even though I know how I'll feel after, I always have the same reluctance to just go. Yet as soon as I finish my treadmill I'm enthusiastic! My treadmill is my best cardio. (Other than dancing to Cardi B.)

I had a funny incident of cheating on my Fitbit. I went on a date Wednesday, horseback riding. My Fitbit thought it was me doing all that walking, and Tinker gave me credit for her workout that appeared on my app! To be fair, Tinker wanted a walk too! She wanted to trot but I didn't like that, and reined her in.

Actually horseback riding can be a good exercise, but I think mainly in my waist area, except that's exactly the exercise I need! I hope to go horseback riding with Tinker's owner again soon!

Old 09-16-2018, 08:59 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,021,684 times
There’s got to be more going on.

My weight seems to be estrogen dependent. After having one ovary removed, I lost 40lbs in 5 weeks without any change in diet or activity level.

It’s all coming back now; again, no change in diet or activity. Makes me wonder if the other ovary is now over-compensating, WTH.

Fat people today look different than fat people used to. The weight is distributed without discretion to sex. The more obese both men & women get; the more they look the same.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:27 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

My weight seems to be estrogen dependent. After having one ovary removed, I lost 40lbs in 5 weeks without any change in diet or activity level.

It’s all coming back now; again, no change in diet or activity. Makes me wonder if the other ovary is now over-compensating, WTH.

Fat people today look different than fat people used to. The weight is distributed without discretion to sex. The more obese both men & women get; the more they look the same.
There could be some truth that they look the same and it could be related to hormones.. I know that dairy products often contain hormones. They say it's not much but it probably all adds up. You can get hormone free milk but you have to look for it. Other dairy products, I don't know.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:31 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,482,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Sweating outside in the heat is for dullards.

Working up a sweat won't help build better muscles. I see hoodie wearing nuts at my gym all the time, mistaking sweat and consequent water loss as weight loss. All they are doing is raising their core temperature (maybe dangerously, and raising your core helps nothing except for increasing misery) and the lost water comes back when they slake their thirst. — I had a discussion with one of the trainers about this, and that's another benefit of a gym: that you can get free advice from the experts.

The benefit of my gym is the very wide selection of diverse training equipment, the great feeling of being surrounded by very positive people (it's synergistic), and I enjoy people watching both men and women. I enjoy that when I'm resting between sets.

You have some good ideas Roscoe but you have some very strange ideas about gyms.
Meh,gym bunnies.
You seem then training on a treadmill in an a/c gym for a long race outside in hot temperatures and you just know they're going to struggle.
Given the choice between a run down the beach or staring at a TV in the gym clocking up the treadmill miles I know which one I'd prefer.
Sundown is the perfect time for a training run.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,235,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

I'm sure that's part of it- I started BC pills in college (early 1970s when doses were higher) and had a heck of a time keeping my weight down to what it was pre-Pill. I wonder if my (relative) ease in keeping my weight down now is partly a function of decreased estrogen (I'm 65). OTOH, I look at the pics of ny female HS friends on FB and I know it's more than that!

Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,336,617 times
After a trip to Europe, Switzerland in particular, my wife posited that the reason US citizens are over weight is stress related. While in Switzerland we noticed breaks are adhered to strictly. Try doing anything over lunch time that is not restaurant or cafe related isn't happening. Work almost stops happening at these break times, and at the end of the work day, many places are shuttered. Architecture is strictly regulated to provide x amount of windows with y amount of natural light, and even work conversations are predicated with personal updates before business ever begins.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:30 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,347,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Sweating outside in the heat is for dullards.

Working up a sweat won't help build better muscles. I see hoodie wearing nuts at my gym all the time, mistaking sweat and consequent water loss as weight loss. All they are doing is raising their core temperature (maybe dangerously, and raising your core helps nothing except for increasing misery) and the lost water comes back when they slake their thirst. — I had a discussion with one of the trainers about this, and that's another benefit of a gym: that you can get free advice from the experts.

The benefit of my gym is the very wide selection of diverse training equipment, the great feeling of being surrounded by very positive people (it's synergistic), and I enjoy people watching both men and women. I enjoy that when I'm resting between sets.

You have some good ideas Roscoe but you have some very strange ideas about gyms.
I loled at that post.

I don't give a crap about running. I just do enough cardio to maintain the body fat %. I don't get off on running or exercising under conditions. I just want to get the heart pumping and burn calories. My cardio of choice really is stair climbing and I'd rather exercise in comfort. If I cared enough to want to train for marathons and just run forever, then I'd train accordingly. But my fitness goals are lifting/strength goals. I pick heavy things up four times a week and my goal is to bench 200+ and I won't stop til I get there.

Cardio's just for my heart, nothing more.....

Old 09-17-2018, 10:41 AM

14,530 posts, read 19,991,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There could be some truth that they look the same and it could be related to hormones.
Adipose tissue (fat) releases all kinds of hormones, as per this PubMed article abstract:
Quote:
It is now widely accepted that white adipose tissue (WAT) secretes a number of peptide hormones, including leptin, several cytokines, adipsin and acylation-stimulating protein (ASP), angiotensinogen, plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1), adiponectin, resistin etc., and also produces steroids hormones. This newly discovered secretory function has shifted our view of WAT, which is no longer considered only an energy storage tissue but a major endocrine organ, at the heart of a complex network influencing energy homeostasis, glucose and lipid metabolism, vascular homeostasis, immune response and even reproduction. Virtually all known adipose secreted proteins are dysregulated when the WAT mass is markedly altered, either increased in the obese state or decreased in lipoatrophy. This strongly implicates adipose-secreted products in the ethiopathology and/or complications of both obesity and cachexia...
So now fat (white adipose tissue) is being equated to being a major endocrine organ. Sure, having excess fat messes up your hormones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Meh,gym bunnies. You seem then training on a treadmill in an a/c gym for a long race outside in hot temperatures and you just know they're going to struggle.
I'm not training for any stupid race. The sole purpose of my treadmill usage is to increase and maintain my heart health by getting sufficient cardio workout. It must be working because my Fitbit app says I have excellent heart health (46-50 ml/min/kg VO2 max). VO2 max is typically 30-60 so my cardio must be working. (VO2 max declines with age so my score is even better when my age is taken into account.) When I started my heart rate was going near 150 and now I have trouble breaking 130 because my heart is pumping blood so much more effectively. My cardio workout has increased my heart volume and/or heart muscle strength and that was my goal all along.

Your problem Roscoe is in assuming others have your particular goals (long hot foot races), but in fact the common goal for most of us is to achieve good health and physical fitness.

Meh, track rabbits.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:51 AM

48,296 posts, read 34,425,363 times
Also, there is the assumption that one can work out that way.

I can't do high impact. I have RA in my feet and lower back, and high impact is bad for RA AND I will be limping and gimping for days.

The gym has the stair climber and the elliptical which gets my heart rate up, without aggravating medical conditions. I jump off and push the sled which boosts my BPM up even more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-17-2018, 10:56 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,482,001 times
One of the benefits of outdoor exercise is that it acclimatizes the body away from its constant,false life of doing everything while under air-conditioning.
This obsession with spending every nano-second inside in case a bead of sweat forms or a bug comes anywhere near the person.
I'd much rather take an evening stroll and admire the scenery and wildlife than watch Discovery HD with a pair of headphones clamped over my ears while pounding the monotonous treadmill with a bottle of iced water ever-present in case I succumb to a deadly thirst ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss