U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 10:34 AM

4,286 posts, read 1,249,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Exercise won't trump diet, but paired with good diet, does help, and your article says that.

To repeat, I don't really need to lose weight. I'm a size 4. But it allows me to enjoy my food more without having to watch calories as closely.
https://www.sciencealert.com/the-sci...se-much-weight

There was research showing exercise won't help in losing weight. That's because they are thinking simply in terms of calories taken in vs burned, which is wrong. This research has misled doctors and the public.

Some doctors may recommend exercise, because research has shown it has health benefits. But mainstream medicine has declared that losing weight requires counting calories, and exercise won't make a big difference.

ALL WRONG. Good for the diet industry and the medical industry. Terrible for everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 AM

31,235 posts, read 19,721,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
https://www.sciencealert.com/the-sci...se-much-weight

There was research showing exercise won't help in losing weight. That's because they are thinking simply in terms of calories taken in vs burned, which is wrong. This research has misled doctors and the public.

Some doctors may recommend exercise, because research has shown it has health benefits. But mainstream medicine has declared that losing weight requires counting calories, and exercise won't make a big difference.

ALL WRONG. Good for the diet industry and the medical industry. Terrible for everyone else.

Never said it makes a big difference, just it does make a difference. Diet is the main component of losing weight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-17-2018, 10:43 AM

4,286 posts, read 1,249,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Mine have never mentioned exercise either, doesn't mean they are all like that. I've never had one even mention diet either. They may mention you need to lose weight, but never about what foods you should be eating. Generally speaking, GP's use pills as a treatment. Pills treat symptoms, never the cause. More often than not, it's what you put into your body that is the cause.
Yes, but lack of exercise is a major cause of T2D and heart disease, dementia, etc.

And doctors are NOT pushing exercise, from what I have seen. Not in my own experience or the experience of people I know, or in mainstream medical articles. Some do, many don't.

Exercise is NOT seen as medicine, but it really is.

I have mentioned this here before -- last year I went to a GP for a checkup, who told me I would die from high cholesterol and I need drugs (the really high number was HDL, so the ratio was good). She was fat! Obviously not much into exercise. And of course she never asked me if I exercise.

I normally stay away from doctors but in recent years had Lyme disease and allergy problems, so I have been to several. None of them mentioned exercise. Not even one that was holistic.

I also noticed that most of the medical office staff were overweight. I think this is because their faith is in drugs, so they don't think much about lifestyle and natural disease prevention.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:49 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,192,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I found the elliptical and stepmill to be VERY effective. The stepmill is like walking up stairs, it looks like a motorized staircase. the step is not as steep as a regular stair and but it's constantly moving, so you will need to as well.

Circuit training (using machines) works the heart as well plus you're getting some strength training in..

Really any cardio that gets you in the appropriate zone for your age and is easy on your joints is good and will work.

One thing you don't want to do is be a machine hugger. If the pace is too fast, just bump it down. You want to feel winded but if you have a hard time standing up then you're not getting the full benefit.

I'm happy for you Hound. You're really making progress! Two years ago I was worse than you, pretty dang fat and couldn't even hold up for five minutes, let alone 40. In my experience, the gains in the gym helped me stick to the course.
I have found the stepmill to be extremely effective in raising my heart rate! My ab cruncher is in the row behind and facing our stepmill group (which also faces away) so while I'm crunching my abs I get a fantastic view of the lasses using the steppers! The steppers seem to be more popular with women, to my great appreciation!

I hadn't heard the term circuit training before, yeah that's what I do. And yeah, I can see from my heart rate tracking that the treadmill is perhaps just half of my time spent in cardio zone.

I know the formula for maximum heart rate as a function of age, but I could get near it only a few years ago when I first started treadmill. These days I can't get within 20 beats of maximum no matter how hard I exercise. I'm totally thrilled about this because my father died of a heart attack. I can't say much about the state of my coronary arteries (that's diet) but at least my heart muscle is about as good as exercise can get it. (When my dad died that was the day I started a regular exercise program, and daily aspirin.)

I sometimes get winded on my treadmill but I never have a hard time standing up after any of my machines. Sometimes I reach a point where I just can't continue, that particular muscle group has just had it.

TBH I am not making much progress with my weight, but not for the reason most may think. Ordinarily I never get sick, never!, but this year I've had two illnesses that took me out of exercising for about a month each. My problem is that I'm an idiot and I keep right on eating the same, sick or not. When I'm well the exercise exceeds my diet to the tune of about 1 pound/week loss. I feel that it's so unfair that other people waste away when they're sick!

I would like to reach my weight goal sooner but I know it's only a matter of time before I reach it. They say it's better to lose weight slowly anyway, and I think it's also possible to cause flabby skin if you lose weight too quickly.

I too embrace the concept that if you exercise a bit extra you can eat a bit extra!

Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,192,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Mine have never mentioned exercise either, doesn't mean they are all like that. I've never had one even mention diet either. They may mention you need to lose weight, but never about what foods you should be eating. Generally speaking, GP's use pills as a treatment. Pills treat symptoms, never the cause. More often than not, it's what you put into your body that is the cause.
I've recently switched doctors (my previous doctor was too far away) and have discussed my diet and exercise programs with both doctors. Both of them gave me great praise and encouraged me to keep it up!

I suspect many doctors get jaded telling fat patients to exercise and diet, knowing they won't. It could be you only get the diet and exercise talk if you indicate receptiveness.

Besides, what dolt doesn't know that unless you have physical disabilities a serious exercise program and good diet is good for you? Do fat people think they got struck down with fatness for no good reason? It should be obvious to all.

My theory on fat people is that they'd just rather be fat and eat what they like and don't like exercise because it's too hard. Some people just don't care how they look or how long they may live.

This is a topic for the other kind of people.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:12 PM

904 posts, read 288,398 times
Anecdotal -- my PCP always asks about my exercise routine and even my dermatologist mentioned exercise.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:17 PM

4,840 posts, read 2,230,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm sure that's part of it- I started BC pills in college (early 1970s when doses were higher) and had a heck of a time keeping my weight down to what it was pre-Pill. I wonder if my (relative) ease in keeping my weight down now is partly a function of decreased estrogen (I'm 65). OTOH, I look at the pics of ny female HS friends on FB and I know it's more than that!
I know; it sort of contradicts the common experience of weight gain during menopause.

I’m not normal in that department; I have Hyperfertility due to ovulating up to (confirmed) 3 times per cycle, who knows if it’s been more, yet I had always been slim until I had my tubes tied.

That made me sick, had to have a them reconnected after 10 years but the damage had been done & one ovary had to be removed.

There is no way that:

Never drinking water, only coffee, only 5 hours of sleep per night, starving all day & binge-eating pasta at bedtime, being sedentary due to a severe anemia & having the cortisol level of a combat soldier (my son is a very large, autistic adolescent) could contribute to losing 40 lbs in 5 weeks.

Man, my blood pressure came down & I had 9 blood transfusions so I was able to start exercising more & eating better. It was awesome.

But something shifted & despite the better lifestyle, the weight crept back. I know it wasn’t related to healthy behavior but my “chicken or the egg” experience is backwards.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 AM

3,589 posts, read 1,974,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Push the sled?

I had wondered the relative benefits of the climbers and ellipticals. I have no joint problems so the treads work fine for me.

BTW my 20 minutes on the treadmill is not my only cardio in my workout routine. I've noticed from my Fitbit app that my other 60 minutes of working out on weight machines produces cardio spikes too. I've seen my heart rate in cardio territory for 30-40 minutes during my workouts, and that's 3-4x weekly.

You're coming off as very closed minded and self-centered. Anybody who isn't doing things your way is doing it wrong?
There's no right or wrong in this instance just personal preference.
I find lifting weights and going on all those gym machines as boring as hell - I just prefer to get outside in all weather for my exercise.
Running in a really hot or cold climate doesn't bother me at all and I much prefer that to exercise under air-conditioning.
But I do have a theory about air conditioning and obesity...

Old 09-18-2018, 08:10 AM

3,494 posts, read 2,347,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
There's no right or wrong in this instance just personal preference.
I find lifting weights and going on all those gym machines as boring as hell - I just prefer to get outside in all weather for my exercise.
Running in a really hot or cold climate doesn't bother me at all and I much prefer that to exercise under air-conditioning.
But I do have a theory about air conditioning and obesity...
I agree with this. Gyms are boring and working out on machines is boring. As for weights, I prefer free weights. On top of that, I hate crowds and having to compete for the facilities. That's just me.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 AM

10,712 posts, read 10,105,593 times
Exercise is as boring as you make it. I find cardio in general boring, regardless of whether it's on a treadmill or outside. My cardio isn't running either. And you can do a variety of workouts in a gym - boxing, muay thai, etc. Machine workouts are just one option and again it really doesn't matter in the big picture.

I don't care to run in the Texas heat. That's just me. And I'm not obese either even though I like air conditioning when I work out. ANY work out is a good workout. You don't get any gold stars other than a feeling of personal satisfaction for choosing to work out outside vs. in a gym.

And I use free weights mostly, followed by cable/pulley stations, and lastly machines.

If my body is the product of being a "gym bunny" then so be it. I'll take it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss