U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 04:17 PM

57 posts, read 23,029 times

Advertisements

The average American is eating 6 times a day. In the 1960's the average was 3 meals daily and obesity was much less. Cause and effect.? Maybe part of the answer. I'm only eating twice a day all within four hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 05:03 PM

1,872 posts, read 629,326 times
It's not just the snacking- it's what the snacks ARE. I eat frequently but it may be a few nuts, a piece of string cheese, some baby carrots or a hard-boiled egg- not a bag of chips or a fistful of Oreos. I've seen a lot of people have success with intermittent fasting such as you described as well.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM

31,273 posts, read 19,739,850 times
I don't really think it matters how many meals you divide up your calories into. I've always had several small meals throughout the day, and I'm not fat. X amount of calories is still, X amount of calories.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-23-2018, 11:46 PM

10,722 posts, read 10,111,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Well, except we all pay for it- increased healthcare costs, disability for people who are too unhealthy to work, etc. (PLEASE note I'm restricting my comments to health issues that are preventable. I'm well aware that Stuff Happens no matter how careful you are.)

I had a sobering discussion yesterday at the Women's Clinic- more extensive mammo than usual followed by an ultrasound of one area because I'm considered high-risk. Mother died of BC two years ago, sister diagnosed early this year and decided on a double mastectomy even though lesion was tiny. Both were/are thin, active, ate mostly healthy. My results were negative, thanks be to God. The counseling they gave me as well as the literature stressed the need to eat less red meat, less processed food, avoid plastics, avoid dairy products that my come from cows given hormones...

What makes ME angry is how much junk has gotten into our foods and into the packaging. Plastic has substances that mimic hormones. A lot of produce must be washed carefully (they mentioned imported grapes) because of pesticides. I have granddaughters and even though their parents are wonderful about giving them healthy food (Grandma is allowed to provide the occasional Starbucks cake pop or ice cream sandwich), I worry that this junk has been in their environment from Day One.

A little OT but I WILL mention that, in cutting out potatoes, white bread, white rice, pasta and refined sugar (except for the occasional indulgences), I've lost weight without any extra effort.
Yes, I've heard that. There's a lot more at play when it comes to rising healthcare costs than simply people being too fat. I'm cynical about the healthcare industry as a whole, even if we were healthier. The insurance companies love to take your money without having to pay anything out. what a racket.

As I mentioned before, there is a reward system for being at a healthy weight.

I personally don't believe in cutting out things. I eat white rice every day nearly and still love my baked potatoes. I eat two sweet treats each day, every day for over two years. My weight loss though involved effort for sure, because there was and still is real effort to not revert to old eating habits, learn balance when it comes to food, and make fitness a part of one's life.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:34 AM

1,872 posts, read 629,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes, I've heard that. There's a lot more at play when it comes to rising healthcare costs than simply people being too fat. I'm cynical about the healthcare industry as a whole, even if we were healthier. The insurance companies love to take your money without having to pay anything out. what a racket.
Look up the "minimum loss ratio" provision of the ACA. Health insurers are REQUIRED to pay out at least 85% (it may vary by state; that's approximate) of their premiums in claims. If they don't, they have to pay a dividend back to the insureds. The other 15% of premium goes to agents' commissions, salaries, employee benefits, rent, advertising and profit. I was in the insurance business for almost 40 years (property-casualty, not health) and that's a reasonable percentage. Note also that if they pay out OVER 100% of premiums in claims and expenses, they don't get to recover it from their insureds during that period- all they can do is build it into statistics used to support their next rate increase request.

Sorry for the tangent from the OT, but there are other factors increasing health care/health insurance costs besides insurer profit motives, and I believe that prevention would save us all money.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:45 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,350,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad70 View Post
The average American is eating 6 times a day. In the 1960's the average was 3 meals daily and obesity was much less. Cause and effect.? Maybe part of the answer. I'm only eating twice a day all within four hours.
Bingo. That and too much bad food keeps insulin levels high. If you were to snack on nuts and other low glycemic food it would not be so bad but to snack on chips and cookies all day is just asking for weight gain.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:21 AM

10,722 posts, read 10,111,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Look up the "minimum loss ratio" provision of the ACA. Health insurers are REQUIRED to pay out at least 85% (it may vary by state; that's approximate) of their premiums in claims. If they don't, they have to pay a dividend back to the insureds. The other 15% of premium goes to agents' commissions, salaries, employee benefits, rent, advertising and profit. I was in the insurance business for almost 40 years (property-casualty, not health) and that's a reasonable percentage. Note also that if they pay out OVER 100% of premiums in claims and expenses, they don't get to recover it from their insureds during that period- all they can do is build it into statistics used to support their next rate increase request.

Sorry for the tangent from the OT, but there are other factors increasing health care/health insurance costs besides insurer profit motives, and I believe that prevention would save us all money.
as I said, i'm cynical about the healthcare insurance industry and I know that there are other factors besides profits. likewise, there are other factors besides a fatter populace that cause premium increases.

i'm not defending obesity but i see no need to get my panties twisted over what's in someone else's cart. living a healthier lifestyle has so many benefits in an of itself regardless. I'm sure that we can agree on that.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:07 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,199,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't really think it matters how many meals you divide up your calories into. I've always had several small meals throughout the day, and I'm not fat. X amount of calories is still, X amount of calories.
It seems the best advice is multiple meals throughout the day, to spread out metabolism and insulin.

That said I usually eat 2 meals a day, breakfast/brunch and then dinner 4-5 hours later.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:58 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,350,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It seems the best advice is multiple meals throughout the day, to spread out metabolism and insulin.
Insulin is best kept low so the multiple meals thing may work if they don't spike blood sugar/insulin. It's also a known fact that caloric reduction slows down metabolism but fasting (not eating) speeds it up in the short term for up to 4 days. This has been proven in scientific tests.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 AM

3,605 posts, read 1,978,791 times
Happened to be watching a cooking segment on a news show yesterday with some "chef" making Sloppy Joe's.
He fried the ground beef,threw in some tomato paste and then started dumping lots of brown AND white sugar in the mix before ladling it between a bun.

I mean sugar with ground beef ?

That's terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss