U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 PM

4,040 posts, read 1,821,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
This.
Remove bread,beer,potatoes,rice,sugar and processed food from your daily routine and watch the pounds drop off.
Of course all of these are perfectly acceptable in moderation once the wight has come off.
I'm losing weight drinking beer.
Of course I only drink three a week and haven't eaten for 24 hrs before I drink them.
Three's all it takes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 02:47 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,322,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Not getting fat requires the correct decision every time you open your mouth to eat or drink something.
It's a lifelong habit not just a temporary diet.
No. It requires the correct decision most of the time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
what is needed both in the US and UK is some "portion control", these American style portion sizes are ridiculous.
Do you have different eating habits when you travel? It's up to you to decide how much to put in your pie hole. You don't have to eat all that they serve, nobody does. You should request them to reduce the serving for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Avoid all wheat and you'll never have a problem with weight, or far less of an issue with it PERIOD. Also, you won't be starving between meals ever.
That's just silly. Some people have trouble with wheat. That is no reason for everybody to not eat wheat. I eat wheat just fine, in moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Eating wheat is an automatic appetite stimulant for many people, therefore weight gain is a reality.
Seeing food is an automatic stimulant.

You people gotta learn to control your mouth. Food is legal. Nobody is going to stop you from eating yourself to death.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:13 AM

72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hashimoto's runs in my family. Of the four people in my family that have it, one is obese, one is overweight, the other two are healthy weight. It just makes it harder not to gain weight as they're much more susceptible to fluctuations in thyroid levels.

Replace TV time with exercise, or just get an exercise bike or treadmill and get some exercise while watching TV. Washing machines wash clothes. While using a scrub board required some calories, mostly it required a lot of time. You can replace that with sitting on the couch, or you could go for a run. Choice is yours. With the average household watching almost eight hours of TV a day, we're not too busy to exercise. We're just too lazy. I watch almost no TV, maybe a few hours a week. But then I spend a lot of time on the Internet, YouTube, Netflix, and spend a fair amount of time reading. I do a lot more of that than I do working out, so it's not like I don't have the time. I lift three times a week, about an hour and half, and get a couple hours of cardio in from running/cycling. I could easily double or triple it.
I do not think any of us are questioning the lack of exercise is relation to weight gain. That isn't a all what I was saying: I was saying there are those who do have a tendency (gene related) to be over weight. If you don't believe this, there is nothing anyone can do to change your mind. For those who do have the tendency, working out is very important but some just don't have the time or the energy to put forth what it takes to keep weight under control. There are also many people in America as well as other countries that are over weight and still very healthy.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Do you have different eating habits when you travel?
If I go on a winter vacation, it's all out the window. I don't know how a diabetic can live in Mexico.
I worry about it when I get back.

Quote:
Seeing food is an automatic stimulant.
And here I am watching BBQ Pitmasters while I'm fasting. It doesn't bother me.
The type of BBQ they make on that show is strictly off limits except on a free day.

I'm not surprised that a lot of the Pitmasters are fat.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:20 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,876,141 times
I like the old "we are big in our family"... I mean really?

I have one of those "family of big people", but if I look at the really old family photos from the late 1800s, I don't see much overweight, and that branch of the family was quite wealthy before the two world wars, soviet occupation etc so it's not like they were at any shortage of means at the time.

I think one of the biggest problems is which habits are developed among young people. The youth get used to soft drinks and crappy food in their teens, and when they move out to live on their own, unhealthy habits die hard, especially when there is no one to object when stuffing the fridge with crap.

At least imo, it's a lot easier to make strong choices at home if I make strong choices at the supermarket first. Whatever comes home will get eaten, and the tastier it is, the faster it goes.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 315 times
Default The Say its good for us but is it, sugar sugar sugar

So glad you posted this!! Im a middle aged woman working to keep 3 kids happy while trying to find my body again... I cant agree more with how much they push the cereals and other "in a box" breakfasts. I have been trying to find some quick meal and weightloss systems im comfortable with but also feed my kids with confidence. Mod cut: no links/recommendations by poster with less then 10 poststhat Im tempted to join but you know..its always better to ask around. Seems like all the tried an true come down to simply 2 things No SUGAR and No GRAINS.

Last edited by Mikala43; 01-21-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 10:53 AM

31,701 posts, read 19,992,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy92 View Post
So glad you posted this!! Im a middle aged woman working to keep 3 kids happy while trying to find my body again... I cant agree more with how much they push the cereals and other "in a box" breakfasts. I have been trying to find some quick meal and weightloss systems im comfortable with but also feed my kids with confidence. Mod cut: no links/recommendations by poster with less then 10 poststhat Im tempted to join but you know..its always better to ask around. Seems like all the tried an true come down to simply 2 things No SUGAR and No GRAINS.

Home cooking.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-21-2019, 11:08 AM

5,363 posts, read 6,449,507 times
Quote:
Some grains are okay as long as they are whole. I eat faro and quinoa quite a bit.

Tried and true is this - burn more calories than you consume.
Figure out what kind of diet you can do that will turn into a lifelong habit. If you love grains then doing low carb is not going to work. If you can do without grains then do a low carb diet.

No matter what you choose stay away from prepackaged foods and junk foods. Your diet should be predominately fresh foods that you cook and prepare.

Find a way to exercise. There are great videos that you can do at home if you cant get out of the house to a gym or a walk/run.

Log everything you eat. It really helps in keeping you accountable.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:20 AM

21,905 posts, read 14,397,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not true at all.
Complex issues generally do not have simple answers.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I cant agree more with how much they push the cereals and other "in a box" breakfasts.
I keep some Cap'n Crunch or other such around just in case I have a low blood sugar episode.
That stuff works fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss