U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,386,107 times

Advertisements

Yep... only in America there are fat people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 AM

12,144 posts, read 16,892,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Charolastra00, thank you for sharing your story. What a strong woman you are, I would have crumbled going through what you have. Sending you prayers and good wishes for good health.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Yes. Makes my little problem seem tiny which of course it is in comparison to what a lot of other people have to bear. Best wishes.
Thanks! I'm not so much fishing for sympathy or compliments as to point out that there's a lot more going on in the background than many people understand. They're not necessarily excuses, they're reasons - and there is a big difference.

Even at almost 300 pounds, I spent a week rock climbing with other cancer survivors in upstate New York, hiked across desert mountains in Israel, and do a whole lot of walking - on top of working full time, part time grad school, and serving as a young adult cancer advocate. Being fat isn't all that I am, but it is a very visible reminder of the scars I bear. While yes, I try with all my might to lose weight, I hate that I am labeled lazy due to my weight when if you knew anything about me, you'd know I was anything but!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:27 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,409,053 times
So is there a breakfast cereal out there that's healthy? I've never been a cereal eater, but my kids do eat a small bowl of cereal most mornings. Currently their favorite is Raisin Bran For me, I eat a greek yogurt and sprinkle in about 2 tablespoons of granola, plus a banana.

Anyway, no one in our family has a weight problem, and the cereal my kids eat is in moderation. But I've known people who graze on boxes of cereal... huge bowls of it at all times of the day. Maybe that's more the problem.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:41 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,294,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
^^I agree for the most part, but I also hold fad diets responsible for people just not knowing what the hell to eat! You can be an excellent cook and make every meal from scratch, but it doesn't mean diddly if you don't know how to balance out your meals and still be able to squeeze in some "cheat" foods.
I agree with this. I think there is something to be said for obsessing over food. Some of these fad diets cause people to do just that. People become food "disciples" trying to convert everyone they run into. I tune those people out as soon as they start talking.

As you noted here balance is the key. I've found a way to maintain a healthy weight without forbidding any foods. I still eat steak. I still eat my all time favorites fried chicken and cornbread. And I still love a good piece of chocolate every now and then. But that's the key. Every now and then.

We all remember that food pyramid we saw in grade school. Meat, fats, etc. were on that pyramid. We can still eat red meat and fried food. We just can't be slaves to that kind of food. For example, I eat red meat probably once every two months. That's good enough for me. I'm not giving it up. But I'm not worshiping it either.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:53 AM

5,382 posts, read 9,928,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So is there a breakfast cereal out there that's healthy? I've never been a cereal eater, but my kids do eat a small bowl of cereal most mornings. Currently their favorite is Raisin Bran For me, I eat a greek yogurt and sprinkle in about 2 tablespoons of granola, plus a banana.

Anyway, no one in our family has a weight problem, and the cereal my kids eat is in moderation. But I've known people who graze on boxes of cereal... huge bowls of it at all times of the day. Maybe that's more the problem.
Raisin Bran isn't terrible, except it has a lot of added sugar. It is high in fiber, though. You could get plain Bran Flakes and add your own raisins or fresh fruit.

Here's a list of top healthiest cold cereals.

The 20 Cereals That Are Actually Healthy (and How to Pick 'Em) | Greatist

Old 02-05-2015, 11:55 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,502,268 times
People are confusing two different things here.

There are certainly genetic and medical reasons that contribute to weight gain (although it is rare for them to cause morbid obesity alone, without overeating). These are more difficult to fight against as they're internal biological processes, therefore it's not something I would argue against.

What rattled me personally on this thread wasn't that, it was the blaming of society, industry, packaged foods, fast food restaurants on every corner, large portions, etc etc. These are the things that are really 'excuses', not reasons by any means. These are external factors that have no direct bearing on what you actually choose to put in your body. Therefore stating that you're fat because the industry wants to keep you that way, by placing cheap tasty food at easy access, is ridiculous - especially when there are plenty of healthy options available to anyone willing to look for them. No, the industry didn't make you eat that burger, you did that. Just because the portion is the size of your head doesn't mean you have to eat it all. These types of excuses and blame-shifting instead of personal responsibility is what really irks me.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:04 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,409,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Raisin Bran isn't terrible, except it has a lot of added sugar. It is high in fiber, though. You could get plain Bran Flakes and add your own raisins or fresh fruit.

Here's a list of top healthiest cold cereals.

The 20 Cereals That Are Actually Healthy (and How to Pick 'Em) | Greatist
Thanks! I have tried the Puffins and Kashi cereals before. My kids also like the plain Cheerios too. We never add sugar, so I don't think that's even a consideration for them.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:19 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,502,268 times
Quote:
Thanks! I have tried the Puffins and Kashi cereals before. My kids also like the plain Cheerios too. We never add sugar, so I don't think that's even a consideration for them.
My son likes Puffins and Snackimals, they're not too high in sugar, and the TJs brand multigrain O's.

For myself, I buy unsweetened muesli, it's my favorite with yogurt, and I also make my own unsweetened granola because every single one I've tried is way too sweet for me. I hate hot oatmeal, so this is a good substitute for me.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:24 PM

5,393 posts, read 6,522,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
People are confusing two different things here.

There are certainly genetic and medical reasons that contribute to weight gain (although it is rare for them to cause morbid obesity alone, without overeating). These are more difficult to fight against as they're internal biological processes, therefore it's not something I would argue against.

What rattled me personally on this thread wasn't that, it was the blaming of society, industry, packaged foods, fast food restaurants on every corner, large portions, etc etc. These are the things that are really 'excuses', not reasons by any means. These are external factors that have no direct bearing on what you actually choose to put in your body. Therefore stating that you're fat because the industry wants to keep you that way, by placing cheap tasty food at easy access, is ridiculous - especially when there are plenty of healthy options available to anyone willing to look for them. No, the industry didn't make you eat that burger, you did that. Just because the portion is the size of your head doesn't mean you have to eat it all. These types of excuses and blame-shifting instead of personal responsibility is what really irks me.
You and I are on this same page of this argument. It is so easy to blame external factors but there is only one person putting a fork up to their mouth. I think the excuses are part of the reason so many people are obese these days. The victim mentality is alive and well. I am too tired, too poor, too uneducated, too busy, too whatever so I must stuff myself with unhealthy foods. And its okay because society has rigged it that way.
I am not buying any of it.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,592,216 times
Quote:

I'm into Cream of Wheat right now, not sure how healthy it is. I use unsweetened almond milk, it's virtually no calories. I want to add chia seeds, when I can fit them into my budget...those suckers are kind of expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss