Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 07:11 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But also, when people eat out they tend to want to splurge. Sure, you can get a bowl of strawberries for dessert at the Cheesecake Factory, but you're at a place that's known for its desserts (and you can eat plain strawberries for much cheaper at home, you know?)
My late DH was a relatively light eater and so was I. What we did once when we wanted to go to a place known for its large, rich desserts was to eat a light dinner at home and then go there for dessert only. We may even have shared one.

Years ago when I took Economics I learned the principle of Diminishing Returns. The professor, who had a wonderful, down-to-earth way of explaining things, used the example of corned beef sandwiches from a highly popular local deli. The first one tastes great. The second one- well, you're not hungry anymore so it's not as satisfying. The third- you're stuffed. You get the idea. My own serious weakness is pecan pie and I do enjoy it occasionally but I'd never tack it onto a Cheesecake Factory-sized dinner. I'd eat it when I was genuinely hungry.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:27 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Most restaurants do have some healthy options on the menu, people still are reluctant to chose them even if there trying to lose weight, appetizers and desserts very hard to find a low calorie / healthier options
This is 100%.
If I'm trying to lose a few pounds when I'm eating out I just don't eat the bread and butter,fries,pasta and anything deep-fried.
There are ALWAYS several healthy options.
Soups,salads,grilled fish or meat,seafood,vegetables - the list goes on.
If I have wine I fill the glass with ice or dilute it half and half with sparkling water ( yes,even red ! )
If there are no healthy options eat somewhere else.
Everything else is just an excuse.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:06 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Watch the people load their carts up with wheat derived products and make a note of weight. Ditch all wheat and weight goes down by quite a bit.
Interesting. I'm currently losing a lot of weight, and I eat wheat products, cereal and bread. I lose about 2 pounds a week. I don't count carbs. I do intermittent fasting. I also eat a baked potato every day.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Interesting. I'm currently losing a lot of weight, and I eat wheat products, cereal and bread. I lose about 2 pounds a week. I don't count carbs. I do intermittent fasting. I also eat a baked potato every day.
I successfully lost weight and maintain it and I eat wheat!

Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I'm another who eats wheat and I lost weight, and maintain that loss.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2019, 10:45 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
I lost 30 pounds eating pretzels and diet coke! And I've kept it off for over 20 years now....

Old 06-23-2019, 03:16 PM

289 posts, read 248,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
This is 100%.
If I'm trying to lose a few pounds when I'm eating out I just don't eat the bread and butter,fries,pasta and anything deep-fried.
There are ALWAYS several healthy options.
Soups,salads,grilled fish or meat,seafood,vegetables - the list goes on.
If I have wine I fill the glass with ice or dilute it half and half with sparkling water ( yes,even red ! )
If there are no healthy options eat somewhere else.
Everything else is just an excuse.
Exactly only one person is responsible for what you put in your mouth!

I have just come back from 2 weeks in vegas most days went to buffets for dinner and drank a fair few bears and came back 2 lb lighter.

Its just about making the right choices 80/90%of the time

Old 06-23-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I lost 30 pounds eating pretzels and diet coke! And I've kept it off for over 20 years now....

You can lose weight eating anything its calorie restriction that obtains the weight loss.

Dont like pretzels myself though

Old 06-23-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I eat wheat potatoes etc all fine just drop the calories

Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
You can lose weight eating anything its calorie restriction that obtains the weight loss.
d:
Yes. There have been studies showing that people lose the same amount of weight on a calorie-restricted diet, regardless of whether it's low-fat, low-carb, or restricts sugar. If the amount of calories are the same, all groups lose the same amount of weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss