U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 12:00 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,522,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You're quite right.Obesity is a growing problem in every developed country in the world.
But the US leads the way both in terms of numbers and extent.Anyone who has travelled extensively in Europe will tell you there just aren't as many grossly obese people walking around.
As I wrote earlier motorized shopping trolleys don't exist anywhere less.
That's the thing though - there AREN'T as many obese people (chubby, maybe overweight yes, but not grotesquely, 400 lb+ obese), so everyone is blaming the food in America. But the point is, there's just as much food that can make you fat in France, Italy, etc - it's different food, it may be better quality or fresher or better tasting food, but it's still going to make you gain weight if you overeat it. And in fact, as I was saying, one could say that in some ways it's easier to eat healthily in the US especially as it's become more popular now and therefore there's a lot more selection of varied, healthy food choices AND it's cheaper than other places in the world. So the difference must be in the people - the choices that they make, how and what and how much they eat, etc. You just can't blame the environment. Yes, America has plenty of cr*p food but there's also plenty of healthy options available, probably a lot more than in many other countries. And I'm sure there's nothing that magical about the food there, that if a person were to eat 5000 calories a day in Paris they would stay slim whereas they eat those same calories in the US and gain weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 03:03 AM

4,073 posts, read 2,128,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
That's the thing though - there AREN'T as many obese people (chubby, maybe overweight yes, but not grotesquely, 400 lb+ obese), so everyone is blaming the food in America. But the point is, there's just as much food that can make you fat in France, Italy, etc - it's different food, it may be better quality or fresher or better tasting food, but it's still going to make you gain weight if you overeat it. And in fact, as I was saying, one could say that in some ways it's easier to eat healthily in the US especially as it's become more popular now and therefore there's a lot more selection of varied, healthy food choices AND it's cheaper than other places in the world. So the difference must be in the people - the choices that they make, how and what and how much they eat, etc. You just can't blame the environment. Yes, America has plenty of cr*p food but there's also plenty of healthy options available, probably a lot more than in many other countries. And I'm sure there's nothing that magical about the food there, that if a person were to eat 5000 calories a day in Paris they would stay slim whereas they eat those same calories in the US and gain weight.
Portion size is crucial.They're enormous in the US.
Plus walking. Americans drive everywhere whereas Europeans tend to do a lot more walking.
And,it has to be said,there's less stigma being obese in the States than abroad.French and Italian women in their 20s and 30s just seem to take a lot more care of themselves.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,522,893 times
I remembered this thread today.
We went for a walk today and stopped by to grab lunch at a nice seafood place that makes the best fish and chips. It's not the type of thing we eat often due to how heavy it is, even though that restaurant is the only one that somehow makes them light and crispy, not greasy at all. But we decided to treat ourselves, and since the place has pretty big portions the three of us, me, my hubby and our 5 year old son shared one platter - two fairly large pieces of beer battered halibut, a medium portion of fries, coleslaw, and a side bowl of soup. Me and my son are not huge lunch eaters as it is, so even though none of us ended up stuffed from the meal, it was plenty enough food for all of us - DH had one piece of fish and me and DH split the other one, and we split everything else three ways. DS had to be talked into finishing his portion and got some ice cream for dessert. Even so, I haven't eaten that type of food in a while so I felt kind of heavy and weighed down for several hours afterwards, and ended up having a very light dinner. While we were eating though, I kept seeing other customers being brought appetizers and big bowls of chowder, followed by each of those fish and chips platter per person - and they were finishing them with no problem. It's not the first time I've seen that in restaurants too, and I'm always amazed at how people - not necessarily overweight people either - manage to polish off those gigantic platters of very rich food with no problem at all, where it's really a portion size to feed 3-4 people. Especially things like pasta, those are always ginormous - I usually have a quarter and feel stuffed for the rest of the day. If you eat like that AND you're not blessed with a fantastic metabolism - yes, you'll get fat.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:54 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,852,285 times
We ate the stuff as kids and fatty kids were a rarity in my school. No super-size this and minimal snacks and mucho activity. Excessive weight is pure math. Excess calories retained compared to exhausted.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:54 PM

27,789 posts, read 16,130,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
We ate the stuff as kids and fatty kids were a rarity in my school. No super-size this and minimal snacks and mucho activity. Excessive weight is pure math. Excess calories retained compared to exhausted.
And yet people think if you just simply eat less it can work. Sure it does but exercise burns calories and builds muscles that can burn calories off when not doing much.

I do think part of the issue is that in America everyone works and works long hours so we can't exactly cook pure home cooked meals and instead rely on pre-packaged Rice-a-Ronis, Pasta Sides, Ramen noodles, over homemade items.

I was recently told to go on a low carb diet after gallblader removal and I can't tell you how I ever ate as much carbs. Seeing the carbs per serving in pizza and muffins make me sick. It's crazy how many carbs are in a single slice of bread. I find I am eating better and smarter though. Now I just can't wait to be cleared to work out.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I remembered this thread today.
We went for a walk today and stopped by to grab lunch at a nice seafood place that makes the best fish and chips. It's not the type of thing we eat often due to how heavy it is, even though that restaurant is the only one that somehow makes them light and crispy, not greasy at all. But we decided to treat ourselves, and since the place has pretty big portions the three of us, me, my hubby and our 5 year old son shared one platter - two fairly large pieces of beer battered halibut, a medium portion of fries, coleslaw, and a side bowl of soup. Me and my son are not huge lunch eaters as it is, so even though none of us ended up stuffed from the meal, it was plenty enough food for all of us - DH had one piece of fish and me and DH split the other one, and we split everything else three ways. DS had to be talked into finishing his portion and got some ice cream for dessert. Even so, I haven't eaten that type of food in a while so I felt kind of heavy and weighed down for several hours afterwards, and ended up having a very light dinner. While we were eating though, I kept seeing other customers being brought appetizers and big bowls of chowder, followed by each of those fish and chips platter per person - and they were finishing them with no problem. It's not the first time I've seen that in restaurants too, and I'm always amazed at how people - not necessarily overweight people either - manage to polish off those gigantic platters of very rich food with no problem at all, where it's really a portion size to feed 3-4 people. Especially things like pasta, those are always ginormous - I usually have a quarter and feel stuffed for the rest of the day. If you eat like that AND you're not blessed with a fantastic metabolism - yes, you'll get fat.
A few years back I was in an all-you-can eat breakfast buffet place in Kentucky with my then young family.
Before the kids headed for the buffet I asked them what they wanted for breakfast - eggs,hash browns and bacon was the order - and then gave them a small side plate to eat from.
They made a second visit but left most of that food because they'd had enough.
As we'd been in the car for a long drive we chilled out there for about 30 minutes and the kids watched open-mouthed as a family near us - Mom,Pop and two kids all seriously overweight - made four visits to the buffet filling their large plates every time with bacon,eggs,waffles,syrup and anything else they could get their hands on.
They must have consumed three thousands calories each - kids included - and that was just breakfast.
To this day my kids,who are now grown-up,remember that breakfast and it had a real effect on how they viewed food and eating out for the rest of their childhoods.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:23 AM

13,253 posts, read 36,941,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And yet people think if you just simply eat less it can work. Sure it does but exercise burns calories and builds muscles that can burn calories off when not doing much.

I do think part of the issue is that in America everyone works and works long hours so we can't exactly cook pure home cooked meals and instead rely on pre-packaged Rice-a-Ronis, Pasta Sides, Ramen noodles, over homemade items.

I was recently told to go on a low carb diet after gallblader removal and I can't tell you how I ever ate as much carbs. Seeing the carbs per serving in pizza and muffins make me sick. It's crazy how many carbs are in a single slice of bread. I find I am eating better and smarter though. Now I just can't wait to be cleared to work out.
Not sure why the carb count in a single slice of bread would raise your ire; according to fatsecret https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-n...d/carbohydrate - a single regular sized slice of bread has just under 13 grams of carbs. What I found interesting: more than 50% of those carbs are in the crust. So cut the crust off your sandwich, and each slice will have only 5.62 grams of carbs in it.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 AM

Common sense has told me that most diet advice is absolute nonsense and to be ignored. Eat moderately when you're hungry until you're not, from as wide a selection as possible.

Collect as many articles and books as you can about nutrition and diet. Use them for kindling.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 AM

9,012 posts, read 8,420,593 times
Quote:
A few years back I was in an all-you-can eat breakfast buffet place in Kentucky with my then young family.
Before the kids headed for the buffet I asked them what they wanted for breakfast - eggs,hash browns and bacon was the order - and then gave them a small side plate to eat from.
They made a second visit but left most of that food because they'd had enough.
As we'd been in the car for a long drive we chilled out there for about 30 minutes and the kids watched open-mouthed as a family near us - Mom,Pop and two kids all seriously overweight - made four visits to the buffet filling their large plates every time with bacon,eggs,waffles,syrup and anything else they could get their hands on.
They must have consumed three thousands calories each - kids included - and that was just breakfast.
To this day my kids,who are now grown-up,remember that breakfast and it had a real effect on how they viewed food and eating out for the rest of their childhoods.
That reminds me of an incident I had years back...
We were a really young family- getting the kids together to go out to eat was a major feat, lol
We were at Old Country Buffet & I had my youngest (who was about 2 at the time) in my arms.
I was next in line for the fried chicken-
he loved chicken & mashed potatoes at that age.

As I said- I was next in line w/ him in one arm & an empty plate in the other.
As my turn came-- I kid you not--
A humongous 400 lb. beast of a lady cuts in front of us & empties the fried chicken onto her plate!
It had to be 8 pieces---
I wanted to punch her in the face, lol

But as usual I took the high road.....
I noticed as she went to her table that her obese family was noticeably low class, & gross looking.
Some people should be banned from buffets, lol
Btw, I don't eat at those kinds of places anymore.
I'll leave that to the lifelong whales.
Fat people like that are ignorant, repulsive & disgusting.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:05 AM

685 posts, read 574,138 times
Quote:
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.
With Michelle Obama pushing for healthy eating and exercise, she's not placing blame on people but making the kids interested in becoming healthier in fun ways.

The food manufacturers add fructose and all kinds of sugars and other ingredients that are addicting. They don't care about our health but do care that we spend our money buying their garbage. Keep in mind that the FDA does allow various items (that are not good) to be listed as an ingredient.

It's easy enough for me not to buy all the garbage stuff because I grew up in a family where we were all weight-conscious. But there was also time to be that way back then. Now I'm careful because I'm not paying for yet another wardrobe and I don't want damage done to my knees from the extra weight.

Low calorie salad dressing sounded great. But one day (years ago), I had the audacity to read the label. It through me into a bit of a tizzy with the increase of sugar to make up for the lack of fat (?) ... I'm tending not to believe that's necessary now but it was pushed but the companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss