U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 04:12 PM

5,363 posts, read 6,449,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think it all started with supersizing of meals. I don't remember when that started but there never used to be so many obese people. They we got double whoppers, or whatever they are, and bacon cheeseburgers and all sorts of fattening super sized fast foods.

It seems to be a combination of fast foods and super sizing. Then the regular restaurants thought they had to compete with the fast food place so they started serving huge portions. Or maybe they thought that if they gave people more food, they could charge people more money for it.

The few times that I eat at a MacDonald's I get the kids' Happy Meal--the hamburger is the size they USED TO BE! I get the apple slices with it and they are only preserved with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) so that's not so unhealthy either. The kids' sizes are the size the adult sizes USED TO BE.
That is very true. And then people become used to eating that much in general. I had a co worker who was a big girl, not height wise but round wise. She would watch me eat my sandwich or my leftovers, or a salad and always comment on how little I was eating. Her lunches always had a side of chips and a big sweetened soda or tea. I am sure she consumed at least 700 - 900 calories with her lunches. Some habits die hard. I was eating a normal lunch but her perception of it was not enough, that somehow I was starving myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 12:34 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,889,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
i see a lot of fat people bashing, lower class people bashing on this thread. Haven't you guys ever think about the GMO in 90% of products in the US that are making these people overweight craving more and more bad foods. Foreign countries overseas wouldn't dare accept or feed their people GMO, but America will. America needs to fight for the labeling of all GMO products and reducing the prices on organic foods and fresh fruit and vegetables.
GMOs don't make people fat. People consuming too many calories and burning too few calories makes people fat.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This fat person fills her cart with vegetables, fruit, low fat dairy, and lean meats and beans - no starchy carbs - and have watched my grocery bill double (and sometimes triple) from what it was when I was the fat person on chemo who looked healthy but had to use an electric scooter to get around the grocery store filling up on frozen and boxed crap because that was all I could afford as a very ill young person. People judged me - I had some of the WORST things said to me while I was at my sickest because people took one look at me and assumed that I was disabled due to my weight. Do you know how horrible it is to come out of the grocery store to find a nasty note about your weight on your car windshield because you used a handicapped parking space? Don't make assumptions.
I'm sorry you experienced such rudeness. I would like to point out, however, that there is an important difference between commenting online about anecdotes one has and actually being rude to a person in real life. One has a victim, the other doesn't.

I don't advocate being rude to a person due to their weight or their dietary choices. That doesn't, and shouldn't, however, preclude me from expressing my frustration and outrage to third parties at the disregard some people show for their health.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:17 PM

16,077 posts, read 12,851,076 times
Healthy food is too expensive.

In other countries, fruits and veggies are more affordable.

I hear foreigners say " how can people be poor but fat?" The government wants us to eat crap, get sick, stay dumb, use too many credit cards and not question politics.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:10 PM

6,388 posts, read 3,587,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think it all started with supersizing of meals. I don't remember when that started but there never used to be so many obese people. They we got double whoppers, or whatever they are, and bacon cheeseburgers and all sorts of fattening super sized fast foods.

It seems to be a combination of fast foods and super sizing. Then the regular restaurants thought they had to compete with the fast food place so they started serving huge portions. Or maybe they thought that if they gave people more food, they could charge people more money for it.

The few times that I eat at a MacDonald's I get the kids' Happy Meal--the hamburger is the size they USED TO BE! I get the apple slices with it and they are only preserved with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) so that's not so unhealthy either. The kids' sizes are the size the adult sizes USED TO BE.
There are some restaurant chains that offer half portions. Not many, but some. Do you know that at my size (5'1" and 100 lbs.) I can hardly finish that? Regular portions? No way. One reason why I don't eat out much. They won't decrease their portion size because do you really think they want to charge LESS and make less PROFITS?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

I hear foreigners say " how can people be poor but fat?" The government wants us to eat crap, get sick, stay dumb, use too many credit cards and not question politics.
I agree that veggies should be cheaper, but look at the price of beans, brown rice, oatmeal, eggs, lentils, chickpeas, etc. They are all very cheap. Add in fruit and veggies that are either in-season or frozen, and it can be pretty cheap to eat healthy.

All of these things require preparation, however, which is why people don't eat them.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:43 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,476,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Err, where's that? Been grocery shopping in Europe recently?
Maybe some parts of Asia and South America, but that's because it only seems cheap to us, from their perspective and wages it's probably not all that cheap.

Come on people, US has some of the cheapest food in the world, quit whining and blaming your problems on someone else

Old 03-12-2015, 05:44 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,476,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
There are some restaurant chains that offer half portions. Not many, but some. Do you know that at my size (5'1" and 100 lbs.) I can hardly finish that? Regular portions? No way. One reason why I don't eat out much. They won't decrease their portion size because do you really think they want to charge LESS and make less PROFITS?
What's wrong with taking it to go? Some of my favorite restaurants - Italian, Greek, Chinese - have huge portions and mine pretty much lasts me for dinner for the next 4 days or so. I don't mind, less cooking

Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,589,896 times
I too was just mind-boggled when I went into Walmart last week. I know it's not a health food store by any stretch, but it's difficult to even find decent food there to eat. The produce is poor, the meat is suspect, and most of the other stuff is geared toward the poor/low end consumer.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I too was just mind-boggled when I went into Walmart last week. I know it's not a health food store by any stretch, but it's difficult to even find decent food there to eat. The produce is poor, the meat is suspect, and most of the other stuff is geared toward the poor/low end consumer.
Yup. I've found myself not wanting to buy products I regularly buy if I'm in Walmart because the whole place grosses me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss