U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 09:04 PM

1,018 posts, read 580,209 times

Advertisements

Yep. Just saw a fb post of a 13 and 17 year old who are sizes of your typical middle aged woman. Makes no sense. Technology is definitely to blame. Today's youth have no clue how to be active. Too busy on cell phones texting, laptops, ipads, etc. Lord forbid if they had to actually get up and do something.

A friend of mine was over last night in her 40's and asked if I had something in my dishwasher. I gave her the strangest look and said, "No, I do not use it." She was appalled. I'm not lazy. Lord forbid if someone has to actually wash dishes, change a channel manually, etc. these days.

So yes, obesity is a huge problem. I understand the older you get scientifically things slow down, but get off your ass and stop over indulging on junk, and you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 922 times
I think theres still shame with being fat. Im not sure shame is the answer tho. But yes, there are lots of really fat people nowadays, idk people def need to take better care of themselves

Old 04-30-2015, 04:52 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,994,000 times
Quote:

Below is a (really bad cell phone) shot of a recent grocery purchase of mine.
The olives and chocolate are being parceled out and will last 3 weeks (olives)
to a month (chocolate).
Given my chocoholic/sweet tooth tendancys that chocolate would last three days (maybe!) !

Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,927,374 times
That is true but I am skinny and I am really lazy, I just hate cardio in general, I don't mind cardio unless I am playing basketball or football but I am not going to run for fun sorry, I will light weights and do sit ups and push ups.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:23 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,560,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Yep. Just saw a fb post of a 13 and 17 year old who are sizes of your typical middle aged woman. Makes no sense. Technology is definitely to blame. Today's youth have no clue how to be active. Too busy on cell phones texting, laptops, ipads, etc. Lord forbid if they had to actually get up and do something.

A friend of mine was over last night in her 40's and asked if I had something in my dishwasher. I gave her the strangest look and said, "No, I do not use it." She was appalled. I'm not lazy. Lord forbid if someone has to actually wash dishes, change a channel manually, etc. these days.

So yes, obesity is a huge problem. I understand the older you get scientifically things slow down, but get off your ass and stop over indulging on junk, and you should be fine.
haha, I tried washing dishes by hand earlier today, I got through a couple plates and cups and said $crew |t, too hard. Change a channel manually? hahahaha you're killin' me!

Old 04-30-2015, 05:26 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,944,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.
If you were behind me at supermarket A you'd assume my family lived on tinned things and breakfast cereal and went to the toilet a whole lot. At supermarket B you'd think we were vegan goddesses who consume nothing but fresh fruit and veg. At supermarket C you'd think we were unabashed carnivores only breaking our all-meat diet with the occasional egg. And when we're having a birthday party... well, let's just say I hope no one thinks that load of shoping is indicative of how we eat.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:34 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,944,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Really? A Big Mac meal is what, $5? Maybe $6?

I love to cook and make beef stew all the time, but with the cost of beef nowadays, plus the cost of all of the fresh veggies, I can't agree that it's possible to make enough beef stew for six for $5.
they're $7, roughly, for a meal. You could do it for not much more. $1 for a big onion, $2 for three pounds of carrots, $4 for five pounds of potatoes, half a pound of stew beef for $3.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:05 AM

2,079 posts, read 2,608,639 times
here are the reasons americans are fat:

-technology
-prepackaged foods
-general laziness and too busy(seems like a paradox but its true)
-junk is cheaper than healthy food
-we live in a car-centric society(I want more bike/running paths and rec centers)
-the fat acceptance movement(seriously wtf)
-general ignorance
-SODA!!!!

here are the reasons/excuses americans think they're fat:

-I have a thyroid problem, waaaah........... yeah suddenly 2/3 of the American population has thyroid issues. im not buying it.
-I am married and have kids.(LOLOL go tell your kids/spouse that theyre making you fat and see how that works out for ya)
-I am not fat, I am big boned(you're big assed)
-Comfort food relaxes me.(since when did stress eating become a thing?) in the 70's it was smoking, in the 80's it was drinking and cocaine, and now the 90's-2000's its food.
-YOLO(yeah, tell that to the hindus)
-there's something in all foods(corn syrup, GMOs, gluten, nitrates, transfats, milk, corn, etc), its making everyone fat!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:15 AM

5,368 posts, read 6,460,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
here are the reasons americans are fat:

-technology
-prepackaged foods
-general laziness and too busy(seems like a paradox but its true)
-junk is cheaper than healthy food
-we live in a car-centric society(I want more bike/running paths and rec centers)
-the fat acceptance movement(seriously wtf)
-general ignorance
-SODA!!!!

here are the reasons/excuses americans think they're fat:

-I have a thyroid problem, waaaah........... yeah suddenly 2/3 of the American population has thyroid issues. im not buying it.
-I am married and have kids.(LOLOL go tell your kids/spouse that theyre making you fat and see how that works out for ya)
-I am not fat, I am big boned(you're big assed)
-Comfort food relaxes me.(since when did stress eating become a thing?) in the 70's it was smoking, in the 80's it was drinking and cocaine, and now the 90's-2000's its food.
-YOLO(yeah, tell that to the hindus)
-there's something in all foods(corn syrup, GMOs, gluten, nitrates, transfats, milk, corn, etc), its making everyone fat!
Excellent!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:23 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,380,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
they're $7, roughly, for a meal. You could do it for not much more. $1 for a big onion, $2 for three pounds of carrots, $4 for five pounds of potatoes, half a pound of stew beef for $3.
Half a pound of beef for six people? No broth or bullion, no tomatoes, no seasonings, just tough beef and water to flavor a big pot of carrots and potatoes? That sounds pretty dreadful, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss