U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 03:50 PM

20,865 posts, read 36,004,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So you don't think it's possible that you were simply eating *too much* wheat, and that's what was causing your problems? And don't forget wheat isn't the only thing that contains gluten. It's just the one that gets all the bad press.

The fact of the matter is, flavoring and baking techniques of breads and pastas has become more prolific in the past 30 years, and marketing strategies has created more of an impulse to buy - and consume - breads and pastas at a greater rate than previously. People are buying it more, because there's more of a variety. No one ever even heard of ciabatta bread 30 years ago, there were no Paneras, and most people would gag if someone suggested they smush down and iron their sandwiches.

Now, it's considered passe, and now we're on to artisan breads. People are eating more bread, because it tastes better and there's more of a variety than there was 30 years ago. 30 years ago, Ronzoni was the #1 pasta, and no one ever heard of Barilla. Now you can get fresh-made pastas with all kinds of funky colors and textures and shapes and ingredients. But the primary ingredient is still wheat.

People are obese because they're eating TOO MUCH of whatever it is that makes them fat. Whatever that magick item is - they need to eat less of it. They need to make a conscious decision to say "No thank you" when it's offered and they already had some that day. They need to not buy a big bag of crackers, if they know they can't put them down when they open the box. A single-pack bag won't make them obese. A 16-ounce box will.
Too much wheat consumption? Probably, because that was what I grew up with and did not question things as much as I should have, and did not pursue other alternatives with any great urgency at the time. Yes, I check ingredient labels on everything as many wheat ingredients are hidden like barley malt flour. I think it also can not be underestimated that many people feel much better when they do not consume wheat, whether they are gluten intolerant or not. So, I definitely still think that gluten free is here to stay, not a fad whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 04:14 PM

5,368 posts, read 6,460,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Too much wheat consumption? Probably, because that was what I grew up with and did not question things as much as I should have, and did not pursue other alternatives with any great urgency at the time. Yes, I check ingredient labels on everything as many wheat ingredients are hidden like barley malt flour. I think it also can not be underestimated that many people feel much better when they do not consume wheat, whether they are gluten intolerant or not. So, I definitely still think that gluten free is here to stay, not a fad whatsoever.
Its already fading.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,488,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm not sure what you mean with the bolded part. There are no ingredients in wheat. Wheat is an ingredient. There's no such thing as barley malt flour, but there is such a thing as malted barley flour. Barley is a grain, but it is not wheat. It's a different grain entirely. There is also such a thing as barley malt, but it is a malt, not a flour. It can come in powder form.

Both wheat and barley contain gluten.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 PM

20,865 posts, read 36,004,584 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean with the bolded part. There are no ingredients in wheat. Wheat is an ingredient. There's no such thing as barley malt flour, but there is such a thing as malted barley flour. Barley is a grain, but it is not wheat. It's a different grain entirely. There is also such a thing as barley malt, but it is a malt, not a flour. It can come in powder form.

Both wheat and barley contain gluten.
Yes, thank you for the clarification- I did mean barley malt flour. I was tired when I typed out my reply.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:05 AM

129 posts, read 218,261 times
The FDA needs to seriously crack down and have all these unnecessary chemicals and additives removed from food products, especially HFCS.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calispartan View Post
The FDA needs to seriously crack down and have all these unnecessary chemicals and additives removed from food products, especially HFCS.
HFCS is neither a chemical or an additive. It's an ingredient in foods that call for something to sweeten them. Like - candy. Candy wouldn't be sweet without a sweet ingredient. HFCS, like regular corn syrup, sugar, honey, stevia, aspartame, maple syrup, and xylitol, is a sweetener. An integral ingredient in the recipe.

An additive would be something that the recipe doesn't need, but is added anyway for whatever reason.

HFCS means high-fructose corn syrup. It is - corn syrup. A particular type of corn syrup, but it's still corn syrup. Not a chemical, not an additive.

Corn syrup (high fructose or otherwise) isn't making people fat. It doesn't get into the body via osmosis. A person has to consume it. And not just consume it, but consume *too much* of it. What is too much? Whatever amount passes that individual person's threshold. If Sue can suck down 20 Hershey bars a week in addition to everything else she eats all week, and not get fat, but 21 of them causes an increase on the scale, then Sue's threshold is 20 Hershey bars. If Andrew's scale shows an increase in weight after only 3 Hershey bars at the end of the week, then Andrew's threshold is 2 Hershey bars.

Sue should probably eat better foods in higher quantities to get to that threshold, that's a whole lot of candy. Andrew needs to cut back on something he's eating, if only 3 Hershey bars in a week's time makes the scale go up.

But that's why people get fat. They aren't getting fat because of the FDA, or because of HFCS. They're getting fat because they're eating too much for their own individual body's needs.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,030,438 times
Quote:
HFCS is neither a chemical or an additive. It's an ingredient in foods that call for something to sweeten them. Like - candy. Candy wouldn't be sweet without a sweet ingredient. HFCS, like regular corn syrup, sugar, honey, stevia, aspartame, maple syrup, and xylitol, is a sweetener. An integral ingredient in the recipe.

An additive would be something that the recipe doesn't need, but is added anyway for whatever reason.

HFCS means high-fructose corn syrup. It is - corn syrup. A particular type of corn syrup, but it's still corn syrup. Not a chemical, not an additive.

Corn syrup (high fructose or otherwise) isn't making people fat. It doesn't get into the body via osmosis. A person has to consume it. And not just consume it, but consume *too much* of it. What is too much? Whatever amount passes that individual person's threshold. If Sue can suck down 20 Hershey bars a week in addition to everything else she eats all week, and not get fat, but 21 of them causes an increase on the scale, then Sue's threshold is 20 Hershey bars. If Andrew's scale shows an increase in weight after only 3 Hershey bars at the end of the week, then Andrew's threshold is 2 Hershey bars.

Sue should probably eat better foods in higher quantities to get to that threshold, that's a whole lot of candy. Andrew needs to cut back on something he's eating, if only 3 Hershey bars in a week's time makes the scale go up.

But that's why people get fat. They aren't getting fat because of the FDA, or because of HFCS. They're getting fat because they're eating too much for their own individual body's needs.
To summarise.
Consume less,move more.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:36 AM

5,368 posts, read 6,460,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
To summarise.
Consume less,move more.
No matter how many times that is screamed from the rooftops someone will rebut it, or tweak it, or say some other nonsense thing.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
To summarise.
Consume less,move more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No matter how many times that is screamed from the rooftops someone will rebut it, or tweak it, or say some other nonsense thing.
Yup.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:20 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,467,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No matter how many times you scream it from the rooftops the truth is that while the number of calories ingested is A FACTOR in weight control it is not the ONLY FACTOR in weight control.

There is a lot of literature out there on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss