U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:35 PM
 
3,311 posts, read 3,529,277 times
Reputation: 5565

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Thanks to you both. That is very informative and eye opening. No wonder it's so difficult to lose weight and keep it off.

How do you reliably determine what calories are right for you?
Do you mean what calories, meaning what foods?

Or do you mean how many calories?
Check to see what your BMR is, using something like this link: Free BMR Calculator For LoseIt! Users

Eat about 150-200 above your BMR, depending on your activity.

If you mean what foods are right for you, think whatever God put on the earth: vegetables, fruits, lean meats, nuts, oils, legumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:37 PM
 
5,190 posts, read 4,026,911 times
Reputation: 13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Do you mean what calories, meaning what foods?

Or do you mean how many calories?
Check to see what your BMR is, using something like this link: Free BMR Calculator For LoseIt! Users

Eat about 150-200 above your BMR, depending on your activity.

If you mean what foods are right for you, think whatever God put on the earth: vegetables, fruits, lean meats, nuts, oils, legumes.

Sorry, I meant how many calories. According to that website, I can't eat below 1600 calories a day. That sounds like a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 PM
 
3,311 posts, read 3,529,277 times
Reputation: 5565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Sorry, I meant how many calories. According to that website, I can't eat below 1600 calories a day. That sounds like a lot.
Trust me, 1600 calories is not a LOT. 2500 calories is a lot. 2500 is probably what many of us eat, without even thinking about it, when we're not "dieting" and not caring and just doing what we want, and we probably even get upwards of 3000. Per day. And that's why we're fat.

I'm trying to live on 1400 and I always end up around 1700.

IMHO and from what I've learned from the Internets, you MUST eat above your BMR. If you were in a coma, you would be burning say, 1500 calories, depending on your size. So you must eat 1500 calories since you are walking around alive or your body cannot sustain itself properly.

Add working, running errands, and you get another 200 calories or so. So say you have 1700 calories that you are burning daily. Eat below 1700 and voila, you will lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM
 
5,190 posts, read 4,026,911 times
Reputation: 13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Trust me, 1600 calories is not a LOT. 2500 calories is a lot. 2500 is probably what many of us eat, without even thinking about it, when we're not "dieting" and not caring and just doing what we want, and we probably even get upwards of 3000. Per day. And that's why we're fat.

I'm trying to live on 1400 and I always end up around 1700.

IMHO and from what I've learned from the Internets, you MUST eat above your BMR. If you were in a coma, you would be burning say, 1500 calories, depending on your size. So you must eat 1500 calories since you are walking around alive or your body cannot sustain itself properly.

Add working, running errands, and you get another 200 calories or so. So say you have 1700 calories that you are burning daily. Eat below 1700 and voila, you will lose.

All good points.

I remember, at my lowest point, I ate fast food three times a day...I'm sure I ate more than 1600.

Thanks, I'm enjoying this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 01:01 PM
 
3,604 posts, read 1,978,791 times
Reputation: 5202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Sorry, I meant how many calories. According to that website, I can't eat below 1600 calories a day. That sounds like a lot.
1600 calories a day is plenty.
Especially if you're eating a mountain of vegetables and lots of low-fat protein such as chicken and fish.
But you mustn't think of it as a diet but as a way of eating for the rest of your life.
By all means have a blow out occasionally but if you eat healthy food in reasonable amounts and take plenty of exercise your body will acclimatise and you will lose weight but it will be over many months not days.
If you expect instant results and lose a lot of weight fast it will ALWAYS go back on very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,876 posts, read 2,364,525 times
Reputation: 5326
I recall back in the day I tried the high Protein and low carbohydrate diet..and added physical exercises..Lost some weight..however..ended up screwing up my metabolism and other systems..which affected everything...my periods stopped..and that alone created issues with my parents who thought I might be pregnant..LOL..Nope..even went to gynaecologist for assessment..She LOL because I had already said..I NEVER you know...Course parent's wanted to figure it out....Okay that got settled....onto next issue...

My cardiovasular system was low.. blood pressure in boots..constant sense of lightheadedness..heart rate high..feeling of palpitations....ohhhh dear..onto internist...All fine..just needed more fluids and increase of carbs...LOL...Okay what next...Blood sugars would dump..about hour and half after eating that higher carb intake...and actually fainting spells/dizziness....yikes diagnosed with Hypoglycemia...my parents were beside themselves..both in medical field!!
This went on for years!!

What I actually ended up doing is eating when hungry however working schedule made things difficult ( RN/shift work /proper breaks/access to proper food groups) So, it's always been something I've struggled to control ( balanced diet)..

I came to realize by 1980..That diet of High protein and low carb diet completely changed my metabolism..would never recommend that to anybody..EVER!! CAUTION should be added to any of those diets represented...

Now I am old..retired..far less physically active..arthritis among other things..so don't eat much at all..one meal a day ( balanced) and loads of fluids..water+, juice, coffee, light meat ( chicken, pork with fat cut out) fresh vegetable, and the odd treat..of cake slice, cookie or two, etc....But no matter what I eat..I'm changing my shape...Oh well.. C'est la vie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 04:03 PM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,378,404 times
Reputation: 12159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Out of all that literature only a small part of it is actually accurate. The rest is just people trying to make a buck off of 'their' eating plan. Sure they have data, but there is ALL KINDS OF DATA regarding dieting.
A calorie is a calorie. It burns the same way no matter what the source of that calorie is. Should you eat junk? Obviously not. A healthy diet of whole fresh foods is obviously the best way to go.
There is a good deal of academic research on this subject.

A calorie is NOT just a calorie. The number of calories a person eats is a factor in weight control. However, there are other factors. I did not make this up. Scientists are not in agreement on all of the details

Should You Count Calories

Screaming "a calorie is a calorie" from every rooftop is not going to make it true. Insulin release is a very big factor in fat storage. Other hormones also play a part in weight control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 04:05 PM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,378,404 times
Reputation: 12159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes you're right. There's another factor: the number of calories burned.

So there's two factors: How many calories consumed, vs. how many calories burned. If you take in more than you burn off, you gain. If you take in less than you burn off, you lose. HOW you burn it has tons and tons of factors. Like - if you have a thyroid problem, you'll burn it differently than if you don't have a thyroid problem. If you have cancer, it'll burn differently. If you are a chronic overeater and have caused a change to your metabolism as a result, you'll burn it differently. If you exercise a lot, it'll burn differently than if you never exercise. If your exercise is mostly weight lifting, it'll burn differently than if your exercise was mostly running.

And so on and so forth, ad infinitum.

When all is said and done, however, it all boils down to two factors: Consume vs. burn.
Wrong again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 04:46 PM
 
3,311 posts, read 3,529,277 times
Reputation: 5565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Wrong again.
In YOUR opinion. Obviously, with things flying all over the Internet about this subject, I don't think everyone can agree on anything. Just as with everything in life. Different strokes for different folks.

Secondly, how do you think she's wrong, she seemed to point out that there are exceptions and differences and made consignments (right word??) for differing situations, hormones, insulin, etc. etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2015, 06:13 PM
 
11,636 posts, read 20,378,404 times
Reputation: 12159
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
In YOUR opinion. Obviously, with things flying all over the Internet about this subject, I don't think everyone can agree on anything. Just as with everything in life. Different strokes for different folks.

Secondly, how do you think she's wrong, she seemed to point out that there are exceptions and differences and made consignments (right word??) for differing situations, hormones, insulin, etc. etc. etc.
She is wrong because there is more to it than consume vs burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top