U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 11:26 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,560,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
As I mentioned before, exercise/physical activity and fitness is a more important factor than food.

You're killin me, Island! So many people lately have been saying the opposite! Uggh!

I know for sure, you cannot outrun a bad diet.

If you eat too much, unless you're running for hours a day, you're not going to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 12:10 PM

811 posts, read 734,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
You're killin me, Island! So many people lately have been saying the opposite! Uggh!

I know for sure, you cannot outrun a bad diet.

If you eat too much, unless you're running for hours a day, you're not going to lose.
LOL! True. What I tried to say (not specifically enough) there is that, all things being equal, you're better off to increase your calorie-burning exercise and fitness (increasing muscle mass, burning fat, speeding up metabolism) than to cut your calories, especially if we're going to compare the long-term effectiveness of the two. Women, especially, looove to cut calories, but don't love the exercise part of things so much. If you have to choose one, choose the exercise, unless you are living on a very unhealthy, high-calorie diet already.

Let me re-word... Yes, you cannot outrun a bad diet. People just need to stop thinking that it's one or the other. When people don't understand why eating properly is getting them nowhere (in terms of weight-loss), it's because they need to speed up their metabolism AND burn more calories immediately through exercise. In the same way that you cannot outrun a bad diet, you ALSO cannot "diet" your way out of poor fitness and a slowed metabolism.

Balance, folks, BALANCE. We need both!!! Healthy diet and fitness MUST go hand-in-hand!!

Old 06-05-2015, 01:38 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,560,909 times
Quote:
LOL! True. What I tried to say (not specifically enough) there is that, all things being equal, you're better off to increase your calorie-burning exercise and fitness (increasing muscle mass, burning fat, speeding up metabolism) than to cut your calories, especially if we're going to compare the long-term effectiveness of the two. Women, especially, looove to cut calories, but don't love the exercise part of things so much. If you have to choose one, choose the exercise, unless you are living on a very unhealthy, high-calorie diet already.

Let me re-word... Yes, you cannot outrun a bad diet. People just need to stop thinking that it's one or the other. When people don't understand why eating properly is getting them nowhere (in terms of weight-loss), it's because they need to speed up their metabolism AND burn more calories immediately through exercise. In the same way that you cannot outrun a bad diet, you ALSO cannot "diet" your way out of poor fitness and a slowed metabolism.

Balance, folks, BALANCE. We need both!!! Healthy diet and fitness MUST go hand-in-hand!!
So I should take a long walk today after celebrating National Donut Day?

Old 06-05-2015, 02:48 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,467,791 times
Quote:
Yes, there are many factors involved in metabolism, but calories consumed vs. calories burned is still a very primary component when it comes to metabolism and weight loss. That gets grossly overlooked today with fad diets distracting from this very basic thing. Often times, people get so focused on the "type" of calories they're consuming that they forget that the calories themselves are still the dominating factor. Despite all of the studies that prove our systems are nuanced and complex, and do process different foods in slightly different ways, the main factor is still energy in vs. energy out. Calories matter. A balanced diet, (not carb free, fat free, whatever free), proper calorie intake (quantity), and exercise is what makes a healthy metabolism. It really is that simple.
If you look at my prior posts you will see that I understand that calories consumed/burned is an important factor in weight loss. It just isn't the ONLY factor. Others have stated that it is the only thing that matters in weight loss and they are wrong.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:57 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,467,791 times
Quote:
So in attempting to partially support Momma, just trying to "have us all get along," let's say someone she knows is 189 + healthy amount of calories + hormone problems - healthy amount of exercise = 190.

What are they supposed to do with that? Just accept that they got dealt a crap hand in life?

Or, what I think I've seen Anon saying is that they simply must increase their exercise to account for the hormone problems?

Or, will we have to wave the white flag and agree that each of us has our own different beliefs on what weight loss is about, and whether or not we are wrong or right, we're still going to hold to our own individual beliefs?
This is not a discussion about people's beliefs. It is a scientifically proven fact that there are other factors involved in weight loss besides calorie intake and calorie burn.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:02 PM

811 posts, read 734,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If you look at my prior posts you will see that I understand that calories consumed/burned is an important factor in weight loss. It just isn't the ONLY factor. Others have stated that it is the only thing that matters in weight loss and they are wrong.
I agreed with you there, pretty directly. Consume vs. Burn is still the PRIMARY factor though. I'm not assuming anything at all about what you know momma_bear, I'm just adding to the discussion on this particular thread to round out the perspectives. You and I are not disagreeing.

Quote:
So I should take a long walk today after celebrating National Donut Day?
Now you're speaking my language!!

Old 06-05-2015, 04:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,488,338 times
Quote:
So in attempting to partially support Momma, just trying to "have us all get along," let's say someone she knows is 189 + healthy amount of calories + hormone problems - healthy amount of exercise = 190.

What are they supposed to do with that? Just accept that they got dealt a crap hand in life?

Or, what I think I've seen Anon saying is that they simply must increase their exercise to account for the hormone problems?

Or, will we have to wave the white flag and agree that each of us has our own different beliefs on what weight loss is about, and whether or not we are wrong or right, we're still going to hold to our own individual beliefs?
189 + (healthy amount of calories PLUS a few less of those calories) + hormone problems - (healthy amount of exercise PLUS a little more exercise) = 188

Old 06-06-2015, 12:19 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,480,946 times
Yes, calorie burn IS the primary factor. The problem though, is the wide variation in that burn, which can be influenced by so many things, and which can ultimately be entirely unhealthy or inefficient. The problem is we can't just not eat, period. We need food and nutrition for health, and there's a minimum amount of calories required to support essential body processes. Most professionals agree on around 1200 calories or so for women as being the base. So then what do you do if your metabolism happens to be screwed up enough to where it's still not using those calories for energy but is instead storing them as fat? How much lower can you go - 1000? 700? 500? At some point it becomes impossible to meet any minimal nutritional needs, and then your health will suffer. And THEN your metabolism will likely adjust again to compensate for eating less, and you're back at square one. It's a bad spot to be in. And exercise is unfortunately not an answer, it takes a LOT of exercise to burn even a small number of calories, and unless you're a hardcore weightlifter, any metabolism increase you get by working out will likely be negligible, especially in women. Most experts say that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise at most.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:11 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,030,438 times
One of the best and cheapest ways to lose weight is a pedometer - a tiny little device that fits in your pocket and costs just a few bucks.
It measures how many steps you take in a day and is really quite addictive.
10,000 steps a day is the minimum suggested requirement for a reasonably healthy lifestyle.That's 10,000 steps taken at a brisk clip.
I often find myself taking the dog out for his third walk of the day late at night when I find myself short of the 10,000 mark.
The pedometer also works if you cycle or work out in a gym.
If you lead a sedentary lifestyle or sit at a desk all day you'll be surprised at how little activity your body really undertakes.
And remember,walking is the cheapest and easiest form of exercise there is - all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:22 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,805,135 times
Quote:
Do you mean what calories, meaning what foods?

Or do you mean how many calories?
Check to see what your BMR is, using something like this link: Free BMR Calculator For LoseIt! Users

Eat about 150-200 above your BMR, depending on your activity.

If you mean what foods are right for you, think whatever God put on the earth: vegetables, fruits, lean meats, nuts, oils, legumes.
I have never used this before. It looks useful. My daily 1,500 calories consumption turns out to be a hair above my BMR. I am not following any diet plan either, but if I have choose one from the "Macro-nutrients" list provided by that website, the Zone diet is the closest thing to what I am doing. The difference is I am eating more protein and less fruit and fat than what they recommend. I managed to lose 35lbs in 10 weeks. The man in the picture has some useful advice also. Thanks for posting the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss