U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:53 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,307,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
To me it's all about public perception of obesity.
People who drink and/or smoke are treated as pariahs but hardly a word is said in criticism of over-eaters who place just as much strain on our healthcare system.
And parents who allow their children to become obese are simply guilty of neglect and abuse and should be treated as such.

There's plenty of shame heaped onto the obese. From the determination that the woman in the motorized wheelchair was simply too fat to walk to your criticism of her shopping choices and of her child, you're guilty of it too. Not only that, but you felt the need to come here and post about her.

You never know what put someone into the motorized chair...I can tell you that people will look at you openly when you ride it, trying to tell if you have a disability or are just too fat. People will come up and ask you too. Even when I was in my own wheelchair, I had a kid come up and say, "Is there something wrong with you or are you just too fat to walk like my dad says?" I pulled up my pants leg and showed them my fresh surgical scar. It was still pretty gruesome at that stage, a deep purple groove 8" long, with deep dimples along both sides from the staples. The dad looked pretty nauseated, but in the interest of education, I told him about how when I fell, I stood up and tried to walk even though I knew it was broken, and I fell again and my foot was completely facing the wrong way. I described how I turned it back around so it wouldn't scare my kids while I waited for the ambulance. Then I asked if he had any other questions about my injury or my need for the wheelchair. This was 6 years ago...I hope he still thinks of me every time he sees a fat person in a wheelchair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 PM

16,327 posts, read 16,435,972 times
Something VERY wrong......probably a combination of things.

Way back when I was in elementary school.......there was ONE truly fat kid in the whole school.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:13 PM

5,357 posts, read 9,823,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Something VERY wrong......probably a combination of things.

Way back when I was in elementary school.......there was ONE truly fat kid in the whole school.
You're so right, same here. I rememeber one graph that demonstrated the rise of obesity in America EXACTLY followed the introduction of HFCS into American food and drinks.

That's one thing..the others? Lack of exercise for another...we ran around as kids, rode our bikes everywhere...no video games.

Our portion sizes for meals were much, much smaller. There was no super size. Coke bottles were tiny. NO Big Gulps.

Foods were not filled with so many weird additives and preservatives. Our Moms, for the most part, cooked from scratch. Until TV dinners came along. But they were a rare treat for the nights Mom didn't feel like cooking.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:51 PM

931 posts, read 611,113 times
Lack of self control.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:53 PM

3,508 posts, read 3,176,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.
I dont think you should be using "data" gathered from your visit to WalMart to formulate an opinion on all Americans. Lets face it, WalMart clientele arent exactly known for their dedication to health and fitness. Nor are many of them mensa material. People just are ignorant to healthy eating. They like to use the "in our culture" excuse for what and how they eat - "Well, mah memaw used to fix this for us when we's were little and her memaw did the same thing for her...". Its just easy, comfortable and familiar to them so they just grab the easy stuff.

With all the knowledge in the history of the world readily available on everyone's smart phone, laptop and computer, it really is no reason at all for people not to educate themselves on how to eat right. Its why I always say its (obesity) a mental illness more than just a physical illness.

HFCS is horrible, but people, especially people who are somewhat trying to lose weight, tend to focus waaaaaay too much on calories when instead, they should put equal attention to WHAT is in the food they eat. I've said it before on many threads here - if the ingredient list reads like you need a Ph.D in chemistry to understand it, DONT EAT IT!!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:15 PM

19,620 posts, read 18,693,933 times
One factor is people not having time to cook real meals at home. Take out food from chain junk food restaurants is loaded with fat and poor quality nutrition. But it's easy when the parents are too tired to cook.

Another factor is that people eat out so much and the meals are supersized. When I do eat out, I am amazed at how much food is served on the plate. I can't eat that much, it's enough for two or three meals. But people get used to eating all this food at once as if it's normal.

So the answer is to return to real cooking and eating at home just like everyone used to do.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:44 PM

9,658 posts, read 15,787,616 times
Yep, I bought a Fannie Farmer reproduction cookbook in a thrift store for 99 cents. Good eating! Takes you from the basics up, without any processed or prepared food, because such didn't exist back then!

Tells you WTH to do with---chicken livers, brussel sprouts,leftover chicken bones and skin, the '"weird" stuff we usually just through out----pick up a copy, great book!

Old 02-02-2015, 12:51 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,459,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Lack of understanding of what is going on in the food,drug and agricultural industries is the main suspect here. They label thing as 1 serving when the container actually has 4 servings.

The GMO foods and chemically coated foods lack the nutrients compared to food we had 60-70 years ago. Food used to spoil then but now food last for weeks. Their gut can't process this high tech foods so people are malnourished but overweight because they are still hungry. Our system has soooo many chemical in them that our stomach can't digest and absorb properly nor prevent illness. FYI, did you know that when thye first introduced GMO food in the 90s that childhood illnesses increased 300%??? I didn't know that until someone told me that statistics.
Okay I'm sorry but these arguments are just silly. If anything it's part of the excuse people will give to justify their bad diets - oh, it's not me, it's the portion sizes! Oh, it's the GMO - if only it wasn't for the evil GMOs, I could eat these 10 burgers a day and I'd be thin as a wiffle!

Seriously, people. You're going to blame it on labels? How freaking hard is it to figure out how big a serving size is?? It's not like they hide it from you - it says right there on the label: serving size, AND how many servings there are in the container! You don't even have to do the (horribly complicated) math yourself! My 5 year old can figure it out! (not exaggerating btw, he loves reading labels and telling us how much of what is in there ).

The GMO thing - eh, I dunno, there might be some merit to it but honestly I'm skeptical. There hasn't been anything to show that GMO foods will contribute to weight gain any more than too much non-GMO food will. Yes, if you eat the chemical-laden crap from boxes, you're going to get fat. If you eat veggies and lean meats and dairy and whole grains, *even if these are non-organic/GMO/whatever*, AND watch your portion sizes aka total calories - you won't. I sincerely doubt that the 300 lb Walmart shoppers got fat on a diet of broccoli and chicken breast, just because the broccoli happened to be GMO or the chickens weren't free-range. Yes, for health reasons in general, I absolutely agree it's better to go with organic, pasture-raised, grass-fed, what have you - and luckily for those who care, these options ARE available now - but purely for weight reasons, it doesn't make a damn difference. EAT LESS - seriously, that's all it comes down to.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:02 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,459,214 times
Oh, and the ironic thing? On the Food and Drink board, people get chewed out for being silly foodie snobs when they say they don't eat at Mickey D's or Olive Garden. I once lamented the surprising lack of decent food places in a very nice affluent suburb we just moved to on a local board (this is a fairly progressive 'foodie' city), all they have so far is a bunch of fast food places, and was told off by several people that I was being a snob and there's absolutely nothing wrong with Wendy's and KFC, they're perfectly good food options.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:51 AM

3,607 posts, read 1,978,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
One factor is people not having time to cook real meals at home. Take out food from chain junk food restaurants is loaded with fat and poor quality nutrition. But it's easy when the parents are too tired to cook.

Another factor is that people eat out so much and the meals are supersized. When I do eat out, I am amazed at how much food is served on the plate. I can't eat that much, it's enough for two or three meals. But people get used to eating all this food at once as if it's normal.

So the answer is to return to real cooking and eating at home just like everyone used to do.
Correct.
But your idea that people are too tired/don't have time to cook doesn't really stack up.Everyone has a freezer so why not use the time at weekends to cook up dishes you can eat during the week when you're at work.
You can also buy healthy fast food - noodles,rice,pasta etc that is really quick to cook up.
And why is it the unemployed,who have plenty of time on their hands,still buy and eat crap.
My kids are a healthy size because we insisted they ate a good healthy breakfast,always took a packed lunch to school that didn't have candy and chips in it and sat down to a home-cooked dinner every night.
Yes they ate crap occasionally but as an exception rather than the rule.
Friday night was always burger night - cooked lean meat and oven-baked fries in 5% cornflower oil.
They were brought up drinking Diet Coke and now couldn't drink a sugared soda if you paid them.
It is simply not true that factors other than willpower are responsible for obesity.
Eat less,move more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss