U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 02:28 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,211,402 times

Advertisements

Oh! My! God!!! -- I never go to all you can eat restaurants. Never. Nope. Not me. Not at all. Bring a gun and hold it to my head would be the only way to get me into one. I just realized that's why I never go to Korean barbecue places, although I'm sure I'm wrong about them and they probably also have standard menus that aren't all you can eat.

I too feel stomach stress when I over-eat. Worse, it stays with me throughout the night and disturbs my sleep. Over-consumption of alcohol also disturbs my sleep. And I have a natural problem in sleeping well. This has been part of the "stick" that is been getting me to eat ever smaller portions, less for dinner. Drinking less too. These days I'm now at least in the vicinity of what I see recommended by various government and health websites regarding reasonable alcohol consumption. Alcohol can really mess up a diet because it is totally empty calories having no redeeming nutritional value at all. None. Zero.

But... "A dinner without wine is like a day without sunshine!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM

3,645 posts, read 1,840,468 times
I finally weighed today for the first time in months. I've been eating a HFLC diet for a few months and noticed I have lost weight. I've lost 23 lbs and I was really shocked.

I weigh 20 lbs less now than when I graduated from high school.

Ketogenic diet works for me.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:29 PM

10,727 posts, read 10,120,297 times
Ok, so what about the non-obese person who orders the fries, burger, whatever?

I don't go out to eat often, and when I do, I sure as hell ain't eating a damn salad.

That's right, I order a greasy burger and fries. And sometimes I eat a dessert.

And I enjoy it. Every single greasy bite.

Totally ridiculous to judge what people eat based on size.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:36 PM

6,299 posts, read 3,550,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Ok, so what about the non-obese person who orders the fries, burger, whatever?

I don't go out to eat often, and when I do, I sure as hell ain't eating a damn salad.

That's right, I order a greasy burger and fries. And sometimes I eat a dessert.

And I enjoy it. Every single greasy bite.

Oh, 98 lb. me hears you on that. When I get the cravings for a Big Mac and Fries, maybe twice a year, I go with it. When I would say that at work, I had coworkers tell me have an extra Big Mac on me! lol I can barely finish ONE, let alone two.

When these cravings hit me, I go with them. Pretty much the same with steak which I don't really like either. If I start craving steak, I go with it, Probably means my body is telling me it needs more protein.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:51 PM

23,227 posts, read 8,056,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Oh! My! God!!! -- I never go to all you can eat restaurants. Never. Nope. Not me. Not at all. Bring a gun and hold it to my head would be the only way to get me into one. I just realized that's why I never go to Korean barbecue places, although I'm sure I'm wrong about them and they probably also have standard menus that aren't all you can eat.

I too feel stomach stress when I over-eat. Worse, it stays with me throughout the night and disturbs my sleep. Over-consumption of alcohol also disturbs my sleep. And I have a natural problem in sleeping well. This has been part of the "stick" that is been getting me to eat ever smaller portions, less for dinner. Drinking less too. These days I'm now at least in the vicinity of what I see recommended by various government and health websites regarding reasonable alcohol consumption. Alcohol can really mess up a diet because it is totally empty calories having no redeeming nutritional value at all. None. Zero.

But... "A dinner without wine is like a day without sunshine!"
I too would NOT go to "all you can eat" buffets....just setting oneself up for disaster. Ever see a thin person at these places. Quit brunches too. Now, I don't eat out much at all since knee mess.

Souplanation is another all you can eat place and many people who go there look it. If I ever get back there when knee is more walkable, I will still control eating.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,984,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

You're kidding,right ?

Old 05-16-2017, 04:36 PM

983 posts, read 777,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You're kidding,right ?
Nobody is like to judge a HWP person on anything they eat

But let a fat person belly up to the buffet or stack a couple double chees burgers onto the McD's tray and waddle over to a booth and everyone usually is pretty quick to judge ( me included )

Just telling it like it is

Old 05-16-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You're kidding,right ?
are you with these posts?

Old 05-16-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I too would NOT go to "all you can eat" buffets....just setting oneself up for disaster. Ever see a thin person at these places. Quit brunches too. Now, I don't eat out much at all since knee mess.

Souplanation is another all you can eat place and many people who go there look it. If I ever get back there when knee is more walkable, I will still control eating.
I've stopped going to buffets, despite having an "off day". Mentally, I can't bring myself to eat at those places any more.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,211,402 times
Mschrief, congratulations! You say you weigh 20 pounds less than in high school. I hope you were overweight then, or what I mean is I hope you are a good weight now.

You piqued my interest mentioning ketogenic diets, something I have never heard of, but reading about it was a real experience for me. I just love learning new things! The diet is not for me, I'm doing fine on the standard eat healthfully and exercise plan, but I have at least one friend who would benefit from that diet. I'm going to re-read the article in depth again, here's the link for anybody interested:

https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/

Riaelise, you are obviously in good shape. Eat whatever you like! It matters not what you eat on occasion, the important part is what you eat in the long run.

I don't particularly enjoy MacDonalds but I do like a nice hamburger and fries at Chili's Grill & Bar. Not so sure how greazy that is but a little from time to time can't hurt you. It's the daily fix people who get harmed.

Actually people must eat according to size; bigger people requre more food. But fat people should do something if they want to be healthy and live long lives.

Jaminhealth, all I can say is eat whatever keeps you healthy. It just took a few whacks from a 2x4 on my forehead to focus me on the truth! I do believe however that exercise is an important element of health. I'm sorry for those who are mobility challenged. I have a friend with destroyed knees who is getting his first one replaced in a few weeks. I know there's no point on discussing diet with him until he gets both knees done and recovered from the surgery. I'm not even sure if it is appropriate to broach the subject of diet to a person who hasn't expressed interest. Maybe best if I just chat about my experience and wait and see if he expresses interest. We did have dinner out recently and my friend ate a reasonable dinner.

I can't help but notice people who are seriously overweight. I'm saddened by their condition, wish they'd do something, but it would be insulting to approach a complete stranger and mention that. It's even impolite to stare. I may amuse myself watching what they buy at the market, but it's not so funny to see them actually eat huge mega-loads of food. In fact it's gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss