U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 10:43 AM

202 posts, read 76,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
And yet, stupid Americans blame it on "genetics".

"The reason why I'm fat, AND my kids are fat is due to genetics". Not because they eat the exact same diet I've been eating all this time. It's the darn Genes! I'm not lazy, it's not what I eat. It's in the genes. NY times said so!
That's not stupid Americans, that's stupid people everywhere. By far the majority of fatness and obesity are caused by lifestyle choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In all fairness, my having my nose buried in my phone playing WWFs while waiting in line has nothing to do with my vegetarian diet, working out 5 days a week, or my hobbies of biking, hiking and paddle boarding.
Yes, but do you ever have any time for working out?

Very active people seldom have any need for any program. They eat a healthy diet and nature takes a course. You're like me. We are both active enough that all we need to do is keep our active lives and eat a healthy diet. I'm fortunate that I just happen to like the foods that form a healthy diet. I like cooking and I pick whole ingredients to make my favorite meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Apparently I am being particularity dense this evening as I am not understanding.... I HAVE had a couple of cocktails....
Sounds like a plan! Alas, I'm often on call for my internship and my limit is one. If I showed up impaired it would be the end of me.

Quote:
No bare azzes in front of other men.... Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Best part, eh! LOLOL! I'll check out their tight asses, it's fine if they want to stare at my boobs, not that I have a lot to stare at. (I'm thin.) It's even better if they get to staring at my face. Only then can the convo start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I wanted to share why exercise is very important. we all know about the physical benefits, but the mental benefits can't be overstated. Simply put, exercise motivates you. Very often, the scale doesn't tell you the truth of your progress. If the number doesn't go down, or go down fast enough, many become disheartened and give up. I didn't see any significant results with the scale for several weeks; however, I was seeing immediate progress with exercise. I started to build up stamina and I started getting some muscle definition within three weeks. That in turn encouraged me to stick to eating less (to help decrease the body fat that was hiding that beautiful definition) and encouraged me to work out more. And when you put those two together - eating less and working out more - well, you know...
That's a big part of our topic, the psychological benefits of a serious exercise program. While an adjunct to a weight loss program, the exercise itself is of great benefit, not only in terms of mood, but I believe there is much to be gained by getting your heart rate in the zone for perhaps about 20 minutes or more. One formula is 220 - your age. My heart doesn't seem to go that high though. However that is a maximum and depends on your desired level of exercise, such as moderate (50-70%) or vigorous (70-85%), and when I figure that in my running isn't all that extreme even with the weights, so I guess I'm okay.

Quote:
Mother's Day I went off the rails. I'm not going to lie to you and say that I've changed so radically that I will not pig out on homemade burgers and my kids' pound cake when given the chance. And I did. It was my day after all, and I'm only human. Not this robot who eats the same way day in and day out. What did I do? Did I feel bad about it, beat myself up, mire myself in regrets? No. The next day I went to the gym as usual and worked out.
Again, one day matters not. Go by the month and forget the days.

And I haven't seen this mentioned, people, don't weight yourselves every day! You are just micro-managing. Twice a month is quite enough. Also, try to select the same time of day for each weighing, wear no clothing. I don't weight that often, but I do it in the morning, after elimination.

Quote:
Exercise also helps with body composition. I weigh about 17 lbs more than I did when I married my husband fourteen years ago, yet I can fit in some of the same clothes I used to wear..albeit my arms are bulkier now (guns are nice, but sleeves can be an issue!) Strength training is especially beneficial for my fellow middle aged women - we lose muscle as we age and dieting alone doesn't spare muscle loss. If you want to counter that muscle loss then adding weights is the best way. I am not eating enough to truly gain muscle, but I am definitely not losing any.
Good going! Being a woman has its plusses and minuses, and we do have problems not being to gain as much muscle tissue as men. On the other hand it's better to use full body exercise to spread the muscles around. Few men like women with better biceps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
At some point in my teens, as a way to be healthier, I cut out soda. I only drank it on special occasions (and koolaid and sweet tea). I started watering down juice and tea etc, and drank mostly water. And lightly sweetened tea. By college, even though I drank sugary coffees, it wasn't all that often. By my early 20s I was back on to water and mostly unsweetened beverages. This is how I am today. I don't drink many calories. I drink water. I do but sugar in my coffee sometimes, but a teaspoon and I generally have 1 cup a day. I have alcohol about 1-2x a week, and I have milk or cream in my coffee. Otherwise it is unsweetened tea and water.
I am still struggling with the soda connection. I have not done the research yet, work and school intervene. I enjoy my coffee black. Without that others get my humor: black.

Women should also be aware of the gender differences in alcohol metabolism. Sadly we women get short changed.

Quote:
I have struggled somewhat with energy during my 20s, around when I found out I had untreated hypothyroidism. This has impacted a lot of things for me - energy, sleep quality and my menstrual cycle. When I am unregulated, I am exhausted. But my low energy is 2x more energy than the average person.
I have suggested before and repeat, it might be a good idea to have a check-out with your physician before starting any diet and/or exercise program, particularly if you have had any problems. I'm glad your treatment has fixed your problems!

Quote:
I joke with people that haven't known me very long that they probably don't want to meet the full energy version of me. I have been at about 80% lately, and I am working on finding the right cadence of exercise. Because it helps me sleep better. It may or may not help in my quest to lose some pounds, but that isn't really my number one focus for the exercise.
One of the great benefits of a good exercise program! Energy, sleep better, usually mood, and trust me it will help you with your weight program.

Quote:
Now I am trying to find the proper combo of foods to lose weight!
Go for wholesome foods made from natural ingredients, and stay away from things in packages.

Well I've got to run! Literally! Just enough time to shower after, and get to my afternoon classes.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 AM

31,274 posts, read 19,739,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post

Very active people seldom have any need for any program. They eat a healthy diet and nature takes a course. You're like me. We are both active enough that all we need to do is keep our active lives and eat a healthy diet. I'm fortunate that I just happen to like the foods that form a healthy diet. I like cooking and I pick whole ingredients to make my favorite meals.

Unfortunately, not totally true for me as I am 50 and my metabolism has all but thrown itself in reverse. I used to eat as much as possible through my teens to break 100lbs, was good through my 20s and 30s, and then mid 40s to 50s? OMG.

It's like a 100 little things "will make you gain 5 lbs", menopause, medication, etc.

As hard as it was to put ON weight when young, it's now HARDER to take it off at my age.

I'm lucky that I have the time, and the enjoyment, to cook for myself and the family. Also, I genuinely like healthy food.

I want to be 125 by July, camping and wake boarding and stuff. The BMI says my height maxes for normal at 144, but I look round at that weight, I don't like how my face looks.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-17-2017, 11:37 AM

I don't have time to comment, my day is going to start without me if I linger!

Interesting article on heart rate in the context of exercise programs:

Exercise intensity: How to measure it - Mayo Clinic

Do consult your physician before pushing your heart rate. We don't want to reach zero now, do we? Make sure your physician signs you off for heavy exertion, and get his opinion on when enough is enough.

Heart health is another good reason to partake in routine physical exercise.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, not totally true for me as I am 50 and my metabolism has all but thrown itself in reverse. I used to eat as much as possible through my teens to break 100lbs, was good through my 20s and 30s, and then mid 40s to 50s? OMG.
Yes, I hope I didn't give the impression that my statement was all encompassing.

I'm still in a point in my life (college) where I'm under 30 and barely over 110. I'm sure I will reach a point where I won't keep what I have without extra work. It's a good thing I enjoy running!

Old 05-17-2017, 11:49 AM

31,274 posts, read 19,739,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post
Yes, I hope I didn't give the impression that my statement was all encompassing.

I'm still in a point in my life (college) where I'm under 30 and barely over 110. I'm sure I will reach a point where I won't keep what I have without extra work. It's a good thing I enjoy running!

Nah, you were fine. I'm just whining.... if only that burned calories!!

Oh, and to the poster who asked about the mid section.... no. I can bust out a set of 200 sit-ups and I swear.... the muscle just pushes the fat layer out..... lol.

Aging sucks!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-17-2017, 12:05 PM

817 posts, read 295,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Does exercise help with the middle-aged spread that women get around their waists?
In other communities/countries where one walks to conduct commerce, the women don't have that tire. So I think consistent exercise is necessary for prevention. If one doesn't do some kind of exercise, correct food choices are essential. Realize also, in the USA, we have a food pyramid with pasta/rice/bread/cereal as the base, which is not in the best interests of people's health and is worse for women unless they exercise one hour a day without fail.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,396,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
In other communities/countries where one walks to conduct commerce, the women don't have that tire. So I think consistent exercise is necessary for prevention. If one doesn't do some kind of exercise, correct food choices are essential. Realize also, in the USA, we have a food pyramid with pasta/rice/bread/cereal as the base, which is not in the best interests of people's health and is worse for women unless they exercise one hour a day without fail.
Other countries like Italy eat a ton of pasta and they are no worse for wear. Japan and China eat a ton of white rice, they fare pretty well too. They are more ACTIVE and eat a balanced diet that is not full of prepackaged, fast foods.
Grains do not need to be demonized.
Women come in all shapes and sizes and their genetics, not what they eat, will determine where they hold their weight.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:25 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,203,158 times
Quote:
Aging sucks!!!!
Yes, but it still beats all the alternatives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
I agree that walking is an excellent exercise. I used to walk around my neighborhood carrying hand bells as my exercise. These days my healthcare plan provides free membership in a gym, so I'm more likely to use the gym—and one of the reasons is that I love the atmosphere of being surrounded by so many like minded people. Also I have received excellent advice from their trainers. I had expected less but at my last session I began a conversation with one of the trainers regarding changing my metabolism and weight tissue vs. adipose tissue and he was right on the same page. Also the trainers are very helpful in helping me expand my workout routine by adding another machine and suggesting which would be the best next one to add, and then checking me out on the machine and suggesting reps, sets, etc.

And that food pyramid is a joke. As if it is all food and all you have to do is follow the pyramid and you'll be healthy.

I haven't even looked at it. I might, just for laughs.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:41 PM

817 posts, read 295,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Other countries like Italy eat a ton of pasta and they are no worse for wear. Japan and China eat a ton of white rice, they fare pretty well too. They are more ACTIVE and eat a balanced diet that is not full of prepackaged, fast foods.
Grains do not need to be demonized.
Women come in all shapes and sizes and their genetics, not what they eat, will determine where they hold their weight.
Yep, we should learn from them: eat grain be "more ACTIVE and eat a balanced diet". Agree, genetics plays a part where one holds their weight. However, one who eats excess grain will have the front butt and / or middle tire. If they do too many carbs, their necks are flabby and fat, too. This is the reality of food choices but as you say, all preventable unless they are more ACTIVE, otherwise grain is their demon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss