U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 01:01 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,714,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post
Women should also be aware of the gender differences in alcohol metabolism. Sadly we women get short changed.

I have suggested before and repeat, it might be a good idea to have a check-out with your physician before starting any diet and/or exercise program, particularly if you have had any problems. I'm glad your treatment has fixed your problems!
I don't have any chronic issues that impact my ability to exercise etc, I have regular physicals and such, so my doctors on are board with these changes. But my numbers are good - cholesterol, blood pressure, triglycerides etc. I occasionally have low iron but it has looked good over the past few tests.

One of the great benefits of a good exercise program! Energy, sleep better, usually mood, and trust me it will help you with your weight program.

Quote:
Go for wholesome foods made from natural ingredients, and stay away from things in packages.
While this is true for health (I moved to a pretty clean diet in my mid to late 20s. I cut out most of the processed food, switched to olive oil, lots of organics etc) this is not a magic bullet for weight loss.

My diet is pretty clean now, the only processed or packaged food I eat on a regular basis is greek yogurt nearly daily. I guess you could count nuts, cheese, and dried fruits. Generally I look for pronounceable ingredients. I have chocolate or chips sometimes. I probably eat something super processed or have fast food 2x a month. So it is pretty rare for me.

So the simple idea of "eat clean" and "eat your veggies" doesn't do a whole lot for me, so I have a lot more to figure out. No fast path for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 01:13 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,059,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Other countries like Italy eat a ton of pasta and they are no worse for wear. Japan and China eat a ton of white rice, they fare pretty well too. They are more ACTIVE and eat a balanced diet that is not full of prepackaged, fast foods.
Grains do not need to be demonized.
Women come in all shapes and sizes and their genetics, not what they eat, will determine where they hold their weight.

I thought the spare tire during menopause was caused by hormones, not genetics?

Old 05-17-2017, 01:17 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,337,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
While this is true for health (I moved to a pretty clean diet in my mid to late 20s. I cut out most of the processed food, switched to olive oil, lots of organics etc) this is not a magic bullet for weight loss.

My diet is pretty clean now, the only processed or packaged food I eat on a regular basis is greek yogurt nearly daily. I guess you could count nuts, cheese, and dried fruits. Generally I look for pronounceable ingredients. I have chocolate or chips sometimes. I probably eat something super processed or have fast food 2x a month. So it is pretty rare for me.

So the simple idea of "eat clean" and "eat your veggies" doesn't do a whole lot for me, so I have a lot more to figure out. No fast path for me.
I don't think PS meant packages as yogurt. I mean, milk comes in packages! I think she meant full dinners, nuke 'n puke I call them!

I think we can break it down into three things:

1.) Fresh wholesome foods, usually from real, fresh ingredients, not packaged mixes or full package dinners.

2.) #1 above in reasonable quantities.

3.) A regular exercise program that complements your diet.

And of course you are allowed exceptions. Break your diet a few times a month, or weekly, no problem. I have a business trip coming up which I will have zero time for exercise, and my only dietary choices will be what I order at restaurants. But I'll be home soon and back to my routine.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:20 PM

10,789 posts, read 10,214,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Does exercise help with the middle-aged spread that women get around their waists?
Yes, though it also depends on genetics - where weight tends to fall. Also things like childbearing can have an effect as well. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you exercise, the weight is gonna fall where it's gonna fall. My waist at 26 years old was 26 inches. I'm 28 inches now at 41. Oh well.

*Vigorous* exercise burns fat and that is always a good thing.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:23 PM

844 posts, read 303,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I thought the spare tire during menopause was caused by hormones, not genetics?
As I understand it: If hormones are okay, no tire but when she eats grain and carbs then it wreaks havoc on hormones = tire and hot flashes.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
In other communities/countries where one walks to conduct commerce, the women don't have that tire. So I think consistent exercise is necessary for prevention. If one doesn't do some kind of exercise, correct food choices are essential. Realize also, in the USA, we have a food pyramid with pasta/rice/bread/cereal as the base, which is not in the best interests of people's health and is worse for women unless they exercise one hour a day without fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Yep, we should learn from them: eat grain be "more ACTIVE and eat a balanced diet". Agree, genetics plays a part where one holds their weight. However, one who eats excess grain will have the front butt and / or middle tire. If they do too many carbs, their necks are flabby and fat, too. This is the reality of food choices but as you say, all preventable unless they are more ACTIVE, otherwise grain is their demon.

You had some valid points (about being active) until you started up on that anti-carb nonsense. There is absolutely nothing wrong at all with the food pyramid as constructed. In fact, in many countries around the world carbohydrates are the base, complemented by the other food groups. Asians aren't fat, yet their staple is rice. White rice to boot. Lucky pointed out the Italians. Protein is a luxury for many people in the world and they don't have weight problems - a FIRST WORLD problem.

I don't exercise an hour a day "without fail", yet I have zero issue with carbs. It's called SENSIBLE EATING. If you eat too much of ANYTHING - read: EXCESS CALORIES - you will gain weight. Why is that so hard to understand? If you aren't exercising, then you are not burning. And if you want to lose weight, you need to make up for that by eating far less. Of anything. Eating extra calories from a steak isn't going to miraculously get peed out.

I don't know what to make of the carb and neck appearance correlation. LOL at that, man... Being overweight period, everything is flabby and fat. I think I've heard it all now..carbs are responsible for necks being flabby and fat, as well as spare tires, and "front butts".

If a person eats the proper amount of calories (and even better) works out, they're not going to have much of a flabby neck or a spare tire.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:31 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,337,182 times
I don't need some stupid pyramid to tell me what a healthful diet is. Maybe the pyramid was intended for uneducated people.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:51 PM

6,409 posts, read 3,594,818 times
It totally infuriates Italian hertitage me, when my husband says that ALL the Italian families he "knew" had big PASTA dishes. When did he eat there? At Holidays? Lasagna in my family was reserved to Christmas dinners. The meals my Nana (2nd Generations) made during the week, you will never find on any Olive Garden Menus. We did not eat like that. Pasta was a side dish much like potatoes or rice is today. Will you find Dandelion Soup on any Restaurant Menu today?

My husband has blamed ME for his weight, high cholestrole in the past. I weigh around 100 lbs. I do not like fast food, fried foods, or even so called Italian/American Pasta dishes. Salads and fresh Seafood are my choice of foods, both for lunch and dinners. Don't make ME your scapegoat. I have been to your GP and Cardiologist. Their mouths drop when they see the size of me.

I will help you if you take my advice, but I will not if you try to blame me for your breakfasts, lunches, and snacks where you are on your own. We've been married over 40 years. If you do not trust your skinny Senior Italian wife, who WILL you trust?

Last edited by Jo48; 05-17-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't need some stupid pyramid to tell me what a healthful diet is. Maybe the pyramid was intended for uneducated people.
I think it's just a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Though my diet pretty much mimics the pyramid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It totally infuriates Italian hertitage me, when my husband says that ALL the Italian families he "knew" had big PASTA dishes. When did he eat there? At Holidays? Lasagna in my family was reserved to Christmas dinners. The meals my Nana (2nd Generations) made during the week, you will never find on any Olive Garden Menus. We did not eat like that. Pasta was a side dish much like potatoes or rice is today. Will you find Dandelion Soup on any Restaurant Menu today?

My husband has blamed ME for his weight, high cholestrole in the past. I weigh around 100 lbs. I do not like fast food, fried foods, or even so called Italian/American Pasta dishes. Salads and fresh Seafood are my choice of foods, both for lunch and dinners. Don't make ME your scapegoat. I have been to your GP and Cardiologist. Their mouths drop when they see the size of me.

I will help you if you take my advice, but I will not if you try to blame me for your breakfasts, lunches, and snacks where you are on your own. We've been married over 40 years. If you do not trust your skinny wife, who WILL you trust?
I think your husband is frustrated and is taking it out on you. Really, all you can do is try and get him to appreciate a healthier way of eating and portion control. My husband is an ex football player, with a football players physique that has softened over the years. I just try to cook healthier meals and encourage him. one thing I don't do is nag him about weight because, at least when I was overweight, that does more harm than good.

I will say this though, I agree the American portions of everything - from Italian to Chinese - is large. But carbs are prominently featured in an Italian meal. I've been to Italy, and enjoyed the multicourse meals. Yes, the portions are smaller and pasta is just part of the meal, but I wouldn't call Italy overly meat and dairy centric.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:29 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,059,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes, though it also depends on genetics - where weight tends to fall. Also things like childbearing can have an effect as well. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you exercise, the weight is gonna fall where it's gonna fall. My waist at 26 years old was 26 inches. I'm 28 inches now at 41. Oh well.

*Vigorous* exercise burns fat and that is always a good thing.

You should be proud of that - 28 is still good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss