U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 02:34 PM

5,368 posts, read 6,460,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I thought the spare tire during menopause was caused by hormones, not genetics?
I am 55 and I still gain in my rear not my waist. Hormones do play a role and women do tend to put weight on in their middle when the estrogen goes down, but these changes have nothing to do with grains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 02:35 PM

5,368 posts, read 6,460,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Yep, we should learn from them: eat grain be "more ACTIVE and eat a balanced diet". Agree, genetics plays a part where one holds their weight. However, one who eats excess grain will have the front butt and / or middle tire. If they do too many carbs, their necks are flabby and fat, too. This is the reality of food choices but as you say, all preventable unless they are more ACTIVE, otherwise grain is their demon.
Wrong. Where are you getting this information? Grains do not determine where one gains weight.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,342,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I think it's just a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Though my diet pretty much mimics the pyramid.
Yes, I agree. I simply learned good nutrition without reference to any pyramid. Maybe if I looked at it I might be surprised to find my own diet there.

Quote:
I will say this though, I agree the American portions of everything - from Italian to Chinese - is large. But carbs are prominently featured in an Italian meal. I've been to Italy, and enjoyed the multicourse meals. Yes, the portions are smaller and pasta is just part of the meal, but I wouldn't call Italy overly meat and dairy centric.
There is at least one reason for that: our restaurants.

Restaurants want repeat business. They know they can achieve this only by pleasing customers. They know that customers will be unhappy if they leave the restaurant hungry. In the restaurant industry, food is cheap, labor is expensive. In fact there is almost no difference in labor cost to serve you a 100% perfect portion or a 120% proportion—so they just serve the bigger portion to ensure you won't walk away unsatisfied and not come back.

This is why restaurants almost always serve sizes bigger than is healthy to eat. Smart eaters take the extra portion home in a doggie bag/box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Wrong. Where are you getting this information? Grains do not determine where one gains weight.
I have to agree to a degree with this one. Your body determines where excess nutrients are stored, most likely in adipose (fatty) tissues. Your diet hands your body whatever needs to be stored, your hormones determine what your body does with it.

If you eat too much of some type of food, that excess will be stored where your body stores that type of excess.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM

11 posts, read 5,703 times
I agree that laziness is a big part of it. And parents don't want to hurt their kids' feelings so they let them do what they want.
Craziness if you ask me. But also lack of education on how easy and how much cheaper it actually is to cook your meals at home. But in a society that "wants it now" the local fast food is often where people head. Haha, try staying away from there for awhile and then go back even once. The food is actually quite nasty!

Old 05-17-2017, 04:40 PM

10,790 posts, read 10,217,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Yes, I agree. I simply learned good nutrition without reference to any pyramid. Maybe if I looked at it I might be surprised to find my own diet there.

There is at least one reason for that: our restaurants.

Restaurants want repeat business. They know they can achieve this only by pleasing customers. They know that customers will be unhappy if they leave the restaurant hungry. In the restaurant industry, food is cheap, labor is expensive. In fact there is almost no difference in labor cost to serve you a 100% perfect portion or a 120% proportion—so they just serve the bigger portion to ensure you won't walk away unsatisfied and not come back.

This is why restaurants almost always serve sizes bigger than is healthy to eat. Smart eaters take the extra portion home in a doggie bag/box.

I have to agree to a degree with this one. Your body determines where excess nutrients are stored, most likely in adipose (fatty) tissues. Your diet hands your body whatever needs to be stored, your hormones determine what your body does with it.

If you eat too much of some type of food, that excess will be stored where your body stores that type of excess.
I blame restaurants for the excessive sodium. Ugh. Talk about unpleasant water retention :/

Old 05-17-2017, 05:05 PM

6,409 posts, read 3,598,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
You should be proud of that - 28 is still good!

I am 26 inches at 68 years old. My wedding dress from 1974 is a Size 5 when I weighed 98 lbs. I still weigh that today but I am now a Size 0. Vanity Sizing exists. If you are old enough, you know all about that.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 5,744,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
i also dont think that is true,, your body gains or loses weight in the places on the body that it wants to.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:37 PM

34,446 posts, read 41,558,091 times
560 posts to say people eat too much and exercise too little.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:46 PM

3,924 posts, read 2,762,158 times
Quote:
I blame restaurants for the excessive sodium. Ugh. Talk about unpleasant water retention :/
Hmm, never heard of that. What sorts of foods do you order?

Old 05-17-2017, 05:57 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,342,048 times
Actually I think the trend at restaurants is to salt less or not at all, put the salt shakers on the table and let the customers decide for themselves. They understand that increasing numbers of customers are concerned by overconsumption of salt. And all it takes to make the point is to send a meal back to the chef and ask them to take off some of the salt!

This is of course not true at fast food places where it's wrap, bag and go. You get the standard dose and can pick up your extra salt on the way out.

Also note that increasing numbers of restaurants are providing dietary information right on the menu or available by request.

Strangely I have hypertension but am not on a salt restricted diet. In fact I've been warned off using potasium salt. Yet every office visit my BP is 120/80.

And please, virtually all Chinese restaurants on longer use MSG (monosodium glutamate). Gotta get your umami some other way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss