U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 05:59 PM

6,367 posts, read 3,580,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
560 posts to say people eat too much and exercise too little.
It is not just eating too much, but too much of the wrong foods as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 PM

3,704 posts, read 2,019,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
560 posts to say people eat too much and exercise too little.
If you read all the posts you'll see the discussion ranges far and wide.
I guess you're a little on the heavy side ?

Old 05-17-2017, 07:12 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,305,636 times
The discussion has been very detailed and focused in recent weeks. I haven't read the whole topic but I think it's likely we had a sea change somewhere after the first page.

I'm still researching some areas I want to cover. Hope it will help all.

————o————o————o————o————

Here is my first find. Keep in mind that I am very interested in studying health—particularly my own health—and I a great believer that lifestyle choices have a HUGE effect on our lives, on our quality of life, and upon our ultimate length of life and our enjoyment of later life in retirement. I am driven by a need to maximize what I have left, I have been driven since my 30s up to almost 40. That was a year that I realized that I was facing the abyss of the rest of my life, yet it was still soon enough to have a significant effect.

Note that Archimedes is reputed to have said, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world!" At that age I realized that in moving the world of my life my lever was getting shorter every year. It was a time of great self-analysis for me, of introspection, it was my time to decide the course of the rest of my life. And I decided that my lever was lifestyle decisions. I began exercising 3, 4 or 5 times a week (it varied, no set schedule, just that I made regular exercise an integral part of my life. I began taking aspirin daily but that's a different story.

I have my first research contribution in an article I've found:

Metabolic Rate Myth – Is Changing Your Metabolism Possible?

In this article the author makes a case that changing your metabolism is not it at all. He seems to imply that all that counts is what goes in (your diet) and what comes out (your exercise). While not at all my belief, I think the article is worth reading for another point of view.

If he is right then it implies that there is really no big difference in the situation that men and women face in losing weight, that it is all about what you eat and how much you eat, and not at all what your gender is. Is he right? You decide.

Last edited by Lovehound; 05-17-2017 at 07:54 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 07:15 PM

10,781 posts, read 10,189,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Hmm, never heard of that. What sorts of foods do you order?
Seriously? That's a serious question? Just look at the sodium content of the chain restaurants' offerings

Just how much sodium do restaurant meals have?

As for the non-chain restaurants, you'll be surprised at how much salt is in that food as well. And I don't know about you, but excessive sodium causes serious bloating and "cotton mouth".

Old 05-17-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Actually I think the trend at restaurants is to salt less or not at all, put the salt shakers on the table and let the customers decide for themselves. They understand that increasing numbers of customers are concerned by overconsumption of salt. And all it takes to make the point is to send a meal back to the chef and ask them to take off some of the salt!

This is of course not true at fast food places where it's wrap, bag and go. You get the standard dose and can pick up your extra salt on the way out.

Also note that increasing numbers of restaurants are providing dietary information right on the menu or available by request.

Strangely I have hypertension but am not on a salt restricted diet. In fact I've been warned off using potasium salt. Yet every office visit my BP is 120/80.

And please, virtually all Chinese restaurants on longer use MSG (monosodium glutamate). Gotta get your umami some other way!
No, actually the high salt content is alive and well. Just read the nutrition info at many of the big chains. And I'm afraid people aren't as concerned about salt overconsumption as one would like to think. I can tell you when I was overweight and ate out multiple days per week, I didn't care about salt at all. Now? I eat out once per week and if it's something special, maybe twice. It's not the calories I'm all that concerned about..it's the bloody high amounts of salt. A favorite dish from Maggianos had a whopping 2900 mg of sodium. 2900!

Old 05-17-2017, 08:11 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
Just remember we all have different metabolisms. Metabolism is not as simple as calories in calories out. What about salt metabolism? (Or at least how salt affects your body, and keep in mind there is not just one type of salt.) The common wisdom is that HBP patients have to limit salt uptake, yet I am not affected by salt intake problems. I ignore it on menus, I put whatever I like on my fries, I've even taken up salting salads, something I didn't do until maybe the last decade.

Salt is NOT the problem, except for some people! For many it may not be a problem at all, or for all I know maybe I'm the only person in the country who has no salt problems. You will have to decide for yourself. I'm not convinced that if we fix salt we have fixed the problem.

————o————o————o————o————

I've found another article in which the author proposes answers or at least solutions for some of the problems we've discussed, particularly plateaus:

Can You Really Change Your Metabolism?

I don't agree with the entire article but I think it's worth reading. People are different. Maybe my answer isn't there; maybe yours is.

————o————o————o————o————

A "duh" article worth reading: Wikipedia, "duh" since Wikipedia is an excellent source and starting point for Internet research and "duh" on me for not reading or quoting it before:

Wikipedia: Basal metabolic rate

A "must read."

————o————o————o————o————

I don't have time to properly introduce this article but I think it has some good information for women:

Speed Up Your Metabolism at Midlife

It's my dinner time!

Last edited by Lovehound; 05-17-2017 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 PM

31,653 posts, read 19,968,456 times
Agree with Lovehound for a couple of anecdotal reasons.

1) MY metabolism has changed. I knew it would, because it was too good to last. My "eat anything anytime" rule has changed to "watch every calorie".

2) My sister and I have different fathers. We were both raised with home cooked meals, very little restaurant eating, and less fast food. I did not sports and always was downright skinny. My sister played soccer and always ran towards overweight.

While it still comes to calories in and out, it varies for the two of us. I can still consume more than she can and gain less weight, with less exercise.

It's difficult. People who do not understand this make me angry. I guess because I am so defensive of my sister. Men have said such rude things to her because of her weight and I don't think anyone should be judged because of it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 PM

Discrimination on the basis of weight or body type is just as unacceptable as all types of prejudice.

The ONLY people who truly deserve discrimination are prejudiced bigots.

And ah, yes, I remember before 30. I had all my hair, I could eat anything/everything I wanted and not gain weight, exercise didn't matter, I could stay up until any hour, and worse, I often ended my night around 2-3 a.m. with steak and eggs at a coffee shop and chased it with Irish coffee or a Cappuccino (with liqueur) and then got up at 7 a.m. back to another day at my engineering job.

That was then, this is now. My retired life is the inverse of all the above. At least I can have my coffee in the morning. In fact I better be drinking coffee as I make my first posts of the day.

Another interesting change since my regular exercising at the gym began: I had been waking at dawn. While I continue to sleep poorly I've started waking at 8-9 a.m.! However I require more coffee before my first post of the day. (Interesting fact: the half life of caffeine is about 4 hours...)

Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 AM

Well I can tell you that I always get cottonmouth and water retention due to excessive sodium, not an uncommon occurrence. Actually my point had nothing to do with people's metabolism or calories in, calories out. I simply mentioned the excessive sodium in restaurant food, that's all.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 AM

838 posts, read 301,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

You had some valid points (about being active) until you started up on that anti-carb nonsense. There is absolutely nothing wrong at all with the food pyramid as constructed. In fact, in many countries around the world carbohydrates are the base, complemented by the other food groups. Asians aren't fat, yet their staple is rice. White rice to boot. Lucky pointed out the Italians. Protein is a luxury for many people in the world and they don't have weight problems - a FIRST WORLD problem.

I don't exercise an hour a day "without fail", yet I have zero issue with carbs. It's called SENSIBLE EATING. If you eat too much of ANYTHING - read: EXCESS CALORIES - you will gain weight. Why is that so hard to understand? If you aren't exercising, then you are not burning. And if you want to lose weight, you need to make up for that by eating far less. Of anything. Eating extra calories from a steak isn't going to miraculously get peed out.

I don't know what to make of the carb and neck appearance correlation. LOL at that, man... Being overweight period, everything is flabby and fat. I think I've heard it all now..carbs are responsible for necks being flabby and fat, as well as spare tires, and "front butts".

If a person eats the proper amount of calories (and even better) works out, they're not going to have much of a flabby neck or a spare tire.
Those countries that you mentioned have communities where people walk for commerce. (Here in the States, neighborhood bars are rare, so instead of walking, people drink and drive.)

Walking is exercise, by the way, so it makes no sense to go work out in a gym. Research, not the lazy google kind...does show where grain fed people store excess fat.

With all the caps in your post, it looks pretty aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss