Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 10:22 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,048,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
Sugar and chemicals in food are addicting; people are addicted. Simple
Exercise is addictive too. Ask me. It's my new drug. I lost count but I think 4-5 visits to the gym in the last week, most of an hour of mostly working not resting each visit. Today I started with a mile of treadmill at 3.3 mph. 120 calories? Yes but how much muscle tissue will I gain? Only time will tell.

But it is clear, both a good diet and a serious physical exercise program are necessities. And now the bad news: the older the get the more necessary this becomes. Your metabolism declines with age. Every year you have to work harder to keep what you have, and every year it becomes more likely you will lose it anyway.

All the people over 120 years old are enjoying smoking their cigars and enjoying proving I'm wrong.

Meanwhile I exercise, and then I exercise again. And yet again. I'm running a race I'm bound to lose, but life is the race anyway, life isn't the finish line. The finish line is when you die. You won! You lost. No, wait. You didn't do anything at the end. It was the race that counted, not the ending!

Old 05-20-2017, 09:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,786,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Exercise is addictive too. Ask me. It's my new drug. I lost count but I think 4-5 visits to the gym in the last week, most of an hour of mostly working not resting each visit. Today I started with a mile of treadmill at 3.3 mph. 120 calories? Yes but how much muscle tissue will I gain? Only time will tell.

But it is clear, both a good diet and a serious physical exercise program are necessities. And now the bad news: the older the get the more necessary this becomes. Your metabolism declines with age. Every year you have to work harder to keep what you have, and every year it becomes more likely you will lose it anyway.

All the people over 120 years old are enjoying smoking their cigars and enjoying proving I'm wrong.

Meanwhile I exercise, and then I exercise again. And yet again. I'm running a race I'm bound to lose, but life is the race anyway, life isn't the finish line. The finish line is when you die. You won! You lost. No, wait. You didn't do anything at the end. It was the race that counted, not the ending!
3.3 on the treadmill for 1 mile with no incline will probably not get you a 120 calorie loss. Treadmills rarely give accurate counts. If I could make aa suggestion to get more bang for your buck work on getting the speed and the incline up. Gradually of course. Go steep for a minute, go fast for a minute. Go fast and steep for a minute - basically and interval. You will get your heart rate up and double your calorie burn. As far as muscle building you will need resistance training to do that. The treadmill is not going to provide that for you.

Its great you are working out as much as you are. Make the most of every workout and get that heart rate up and keep it up.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
3.3 on the treadmill for 1 mile with no incline will probably not get you a 120 calorie loss. Treadmills rarely give accurate counts. If I could make aa suggestion to get more bang for your buck work on getting the speed and the incline up. Gradually of course. Go steep for a minute, go fast for a minute. Go fast and steep for a minute - basically and interval. You will get your heart rate up and double your calorie burn. As far as muscle building you will need resistance training to do that. The treadmill is not going to provide that for you.
I was a bit brief on my treadmill description and somewhat inaccurate too. In fact much of my workout was incline 3.5 to 5, I went for about 1.2 miles because it wasn't 20 minutes yet, at times I had the speed over 4, and I continually adjusted the speed (and sometimes incline) to match the beat of my workout music. Heart rate was about 150 bpm for over 10 minutes. Time didn't include cool-down mode (5 minutes) in which I was mainly curious how the mode worked, and also interested in how quickly my heart rate would return to normal. 5 minutes wasn't enough, I got bored and went on to other machines. But in fact I did follow your advice more or less, it was my brief description that was wanting.

Treadmill is boring but I like to start out there if for no other reason than to get the boring part over first so I could get to more interesting machines. And yet I have no explanation why the others are more interesting. Ab cruncher, finally added 10 more pounds, reps 10 to 12, sets from 3 to 4. Good view of women on the stair walkers from the ab cruncher!

I like to follow the treadmill with the hand bicycle, it seems to give a good workout for my upper body that synergizes with the lower body exercise provided by the treadmill. I haven't bothered to remember the names of the other machines but most of the rest are focused on upper body if not all of them. (I think the tread provides sufficient leg exercise.) I finish up with floor exercises, currently focused on increasing spinal flexibility. I learned these exercises from my physical therapist years ago when I was being treated for a minor spinal injury. I sometimes experience mild spinal pain and the PT keeps it away. It's nothing more than analogously taking hold of each end of the spine and twisting maximally both ways for N reps, by use of manipulation of shoulders or pelvic bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Its great you are working out as much as you are. Make the most of every workout and get that heart rate up and keep it up.
Actually I'm sure my heart rate is great if not excessive. Upon more research I have discovered I am hitting maximum recommended heart rate. Never the less I feel good and I'm in good health other than my weight.

Another rule I'm tempted to violate and probably will today; take alternate days off. I just feel so good I feel like another session today. Perhaps I'll hit the tread then do fewer reps on the other machines. Maybe come home and work on some yoga for a change. My PT and my old yoga routines are not related, and my yoga focuses more upon flexibility than upon breathing or meditation.

Thank you for your encouragement, Lucky.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 PM

48,438 posts, read 34,609,506 times
The funny thing is ..... due to a few factors I haven't gone to the gym in a month and a half (still hike and stuff, but not much), during that time I finally started to drop some weight and I'm down about 8 lbs.

Next week I gotta get back to my routine next week.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-20-2017, 12:38 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,486,652 times
Brits aren't the very best at looking after ourselves in that department.

I don't really eat fruit or vegetables bar the odd meal or 2 and apart from my job I don't workout either about a stone/and a half overweight ( 14-20lbs ) but look and feel fine thus far

However at 32 I'll have to be more aware and attentive with ^^^^

Old 05-20-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The funny thing is ..... due to a few factors I haven't gone to the gym in a month and a half (still hike and stuff, but not much), during that time I finally started to drop some weight and I'm down about 8 lbs.

Next week I gotta get back to my routine next week.
No doubt down about 8 lbs. of muscle tissue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Brits aren't the very best at looking after ourselves in that department.

I don't really eat fruit or vegetables bar the odd meal or 2 and apart from my job I don't workout either about a stone/and a half overweight ( 14-20lbs ) but look and feel fine thus far

However at 32 I'll have to be more aware and attentive with ^^^^
Gawd. At 32 your body is still on the youthful body plan. At your age my weight had nothing at all to do with what I ate. I used to finish my evenings about 3 a.m. with steak and eggs and either Irish coffee or cappuccino with Kahlua. I don't understand how I could consume caffeine late at night back at that age and then go to sleep shortly after.

I fondly remember finishing restaurant dinners with some coffee/liquor drink and a nice dessert. Crêpes flambée au Gran Marnier was my favorite. I still cook that myself, but not often. Actually the recipe is ridiculously easy!

I got in another gym workout today. "The hurt that feels so good." I guess it's a bad idea to do adjacent days?

Old 05-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
No doubt down about 8 lbs. of muscle tissue.

Gawd. At 32 your body is still on the youthful body plan. At your age my weight had nothing at all to do with what I ate. I used to finish my evenings about 3 a.m. with steak and eggs and either Irish coffee or cappuccino with Kahlua. I don't understand how I could consume caffeine late at night back at that age and then go to sleep shortly after.

I fondly remember finishing restaurant dinners with some coffee/liquor drink and a nice dessert. Crêpes flambée au Gran Marnier was my favorite. I still cook that myself, but not often. Actually the recipe is ridiculously easy!

I got in another gym workout today. "The hurt that feels so good." I guess it's a bad idea to do adjacent days?
Hahahaha yeah great post thanks for sharing my good man

Yes absolutely mate you seem to have the energy and passion of " hitting the gym " so you can advise me as I've not been in years and years

Great post

Old 05-20-2017, 06:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,647,959 times
In a word: Carbohydrates

Mexico is now #1 going ahead of the U.S. with obesity.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Hahahaha yeah great post thanks for sharing my good man

Yes absolutely mate you seem to have the energy and passion of " hitting the gym " so you can advise me as I've not been in years and years

Great post
Thank you so much!

My advice: prepare now and expect your body to disintegrate at 40. Oh, and you will probably need glasses by 40. I made it to about 45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
In a word: Carbohydrates

Mexico is now #1 going ahead of the U.S. with obesity.
My gawd! Lard is their favorite cooking fat!!!

I'm a gourmet cook. When I cook authentic Mexican I use lard. Particularly in making tamales. Can't even make them without lard. Nope. Isn't happening!

And all the refried beans in their diet?

I often cook Mexican and skip the beans and rice portion.

Strangely, in my alt-ego I am a soapmaker, and lard makes GREAT soap!

Old 05-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much!

My advice: prepare now and expect your body to disintegrate at 40. Oh, and you will probably need glasses by 40. I made it to about 45.

My gawd! Lard is their favorite cooking fat!!!

I'm a gourmet cook. When I cook authentic Mexican I use lard. Particularly in making tamales. Can't even make them without lard. Nope. Isn't happening!

And all the refried beans in their diet?

I often cook Mexican and skip the beans and rice portion.

Strangely, in my alt-ego I am a soapmaker, and lard makes GREAT soap!
Ha I'll get prepared cheers mate

( you're most welcome as ever )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss