U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 08:42 AM

27,139 posts, read 29,543,839 times

Advertisements

Nope not at my local gyms. People cut you off, steal your machines or racks, leave their crap all over the place, don't clean up their corcuits. Just like in the rest of life. Plenty of self-absorbed people. No explosion of politeness.

You must live somewhere that people skew polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 AM

3,865 posts, read 2,716,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Nope not at my local gyms. People cut you off, steal your machines or racks, leave their crap all over the place, don't clean up their corcuits. Just like in the rest of life. Plenty of self-absorbed people. No explosion of politeness.

I've never liked going to gyms. I'd rather be outside in the fresh air and sunshine. People are very nice on trails and in the mountains and walking/jogging around the neighborhood.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,402,174 times
Quote:

I have belonged to a number of gyms over the years and I have never experienced that. My current gym is wonderful in that regard. I have made some wonderful friends from the gyms I have gone to.
Maybe its because the gyms I have gone to are privately owned and not a big chain.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:31 AM

34,956 posts, read 31,977,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
You're also gonna hate buffets and salad bars.. My daughter who worked as a server in a restaurant, said that people take the spoon that is in the food at the salad bar, and taste the salad dressing, and then put the spoon right back for you to help yourself to it. they also take a taste of the other food, and put the fork back into the food for the next person in line.

Also people do sneeze on the food even though they have the sneeze guard.
Salad bars:

I saw a transient walk in the exit and shovel house dressing into his mouth with his dirty hands. I told the Manager but don't know if they replaced it or just wiped it down.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:05 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,211,402 times
Quote:

Wow! All I can say is that I live in an affluent neighborhood and perhaps encounter a better class of people in my fellow customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I've never liked going to gyms. I'd rather be outside in the fresh air and sunshine. People are very nice on trails and in the mountains and walking/jogging around the neighborhood.
I like that too, but there seems to be a certain sense of camaraderie that synergizes. I am further motivated as I see other men and women getting into their routines too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have belonged to a number of gyms over the years and I have never experienced that. My current gym is wonderful in that regard. I have made some wonderful friends from the gyms I have gone to.
Maybe its because the gyms I have gone to are privately owned and not a big chain.
Not sure why that would be but I do go to a national chain gym. (Sounds sort of sadomasochistic!)

Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM

10,727 posts, read 10,120,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Perhaps you'd like to point out in my original post where I suggested we should laugh at fat people.
Far from it but we should also not feel sorry for them.
Obesity,like smoking,drinking and driving cars fast is a lifestyle choice that carries with it associated risks that can also impact others.
Obesity creates a huge strain on our health system and means other people who don't choose that lifestyle have to pay for it in higher health insurance premiums.
I'd have a fat and sugar tax with proceeds going into the health system and I'd make sure parents who allow their children to become super obese have the same possibility of having their children taken away from them that those who operate child cruelty also have.
And I'd make health,diet and exercise part of the education and exam cycle to actually teach our kids what they're stuffing into their mouths.
Far from being a laughing matter obesity is deadly serious.
I use your posts throughout this topic as my reference. Your "observations" are nothing more than mocking blurbs (calling people 'leviathans', using the terms 'waddling', yada yada) at obese people's expense. What you "observe" is nothing particularly new or insightful either. I think it's understood that there are a lot of overweight people in America. You don't have to "feel sorry" for them, but you likewise don't have to insult them.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:24 AM

10,727 posts, read 10,120,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'd rather not have a nanny state where government uses the threat and force of taxes to mandate the behavior of a supposedly free citizenry.

I strongly favor governmental agencies mandated with educating the citizens, and as many PSA commercials or other programs intended to educate the public.

Having freedom of speech and expression also implies the freedom to burn our flag. Sad but ture... Having the freedom to eat what you want implies the freedom to destroy your health with junk food and destroy your body with no exercise.

Meanwhile, I just got back from the gym! I parked just 3 spaces from the entrance!

I continue to be amazed with the good spirits of my fellow exercise enthusiasts! If there were ever an argument there I'm sure it would be along the lines of, "You first!" "No, you go first!" And the strangest thing: people fall all over each other entering and exiting the gym, holding the door open for equally healthy other exercise enthusiasts! I think gym enthusiasts are more polite and thoughtful than the people I used to meet in church as a kid. (These days I'm a lapsed agnostic.)

I'm also wondering if an exercise program is a form of whole body masturbation. The body-gasms aren't as strong as sex but they last so much longer!
Haha exercise is the ultimate rush for me. Squeezing in one last rep....

I lifted heavier yesterday, using 30 lb dumbbells this time (remember, i used to lift only 8 lbs when I first started). I felt so good, so proud. Good on you for sticking to a program and finding enjoyment from it. I saw fitness gains even before I actually lost anything on the scale. I don't want to be skinny. I want to be fit and STRONG.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,211,402 times
I think it's extremely sick and rude to make fun of obese people. This is not something to laugh about; the misfortunes of other people.

Unfortunately it is also rude to confront people and force health advice on them. I just look at them and think, "I'm glad it's not me." The more I see the more I'm motivated to work out harder, eat healthier.

I bet I've been to the gym 5 days in the last week including yesterday. I'm giving serious thought to heading over today and just using the treadmill, do maybe 25 minutes at 2.5/3 mph for cardio, then skip the rest of my workout routine. I did a lot of upper body exercises yesterday in addition to the tread, but I know I should let those muscles rest until tomorrow. I'll set the tread today mainly to get my heartbeat in the zone, and keep the other settings moderate as possible consistent with hitting the target. Probably zero slope and set the mph to get the bpm I want.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Haha exercise is the ultimate rush for me. Squeezing in one last rep....

I lifted heavier yesterday, using 30 lb dumbbells this time (remember, i used to lift only 8 lbs when I first started). I felt so good, so proud. Good on you for sticking to a program and finding enjoyment from it. I saw fitness gains even before I actually lost anything on the scale. I don't want to be skinny. I want to be fit and STRONG.
Addictive, eh? Me too! Particularly surrounded by the good vibes from other gym members.

I generally take a more moderate tack and sometimes just quit in the middle if I feel the particular muscle group is getting too strained. I move on to a different machine, different muscle group. The treadmill is the only place I feel like I can't get off until I've met my tally. It's also the most boring machine for me. I upped to 25 minutes yesterday and think I'll call it done when I can do a reliable 30 minutes at cardio rate.

I'm not sure how much my muscle hardness is genuine and how much is imagination. When I was previously exercising both my arm and leg muscles were really hard, but nobody would call them large. I seek definition and hardness, not big bulges. (Well...) I could be wrong but I think women like men with hard, well defined muscles and tight asses, and I can achieve that, or pretty sure I can.

My biggest problem is what I refer to as "male pregnancy." I think continued exercise and attention to my diet will take care of the stomach fat. I know I'll never have a 6-pack. I just want my blue jeans back, and a little slack in my belt. I've been dressing too long in just my sweats.

The best part is that I know I'll make it unless I drop my program. It's like a sure thing.

I particularly liked a new machine I started yesterday, inclined leaning back with my feet angled up in front of me, pedals connected to a weighted moving slider and doing reps pushing up extending my legs. Handles at hand to twist in and lock the weights in the upper position. I know I'll be visiting this machine more often and adding on weight.

I like to make my reps about 10-12 and sets about 3-4 of them. My trainer says after that just add weight and keep the reps and sets as is. The staff at my gym are amazingly helpful, well informed, and very, very enthusiastic!

Last edited by Lovehound; 05-23-2017 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-23-2017, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 2,917 times
Obesity quite common, also in part due to the perception of the people, can they not familiar the restricted eating

Old 05-23-2017, 02:33 PM

663 posts, read 224,599 times
I don't believe at all in a sugar tax. It also punishes people who eat those things in moderation and are not overweight.

But it is shocking to see how immensely fat some people are getting. I saw someone recently, who I hadn't seen in 10 years. He was quite thin then, and lean. Now he was immensely fat with a massive sagging belly that hung over his pants and tree trunk fat legs and basically enormous. Must have gained 100lbs. It was a sight to see. Wonder how it happened because this guy is like 55 years old and yet was 45 and skinny then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss