U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 11:38 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,475,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngrs dave View Post
1. Antibiotics. Not just as a medicine but antibiotic residues in food too, especially meat and milk.
2. Animal fatteners. You become fatter too if you eat meat with these drugs!
3. Pesticides. Almost in every plant food.
4. Sugar substitutes. It was proved that artificial sweeteners may do only harm.
5. Junk food. You know it, of course.
Sigh. Here we go again.

Do not confuse 'unhealthy' with 'causes obesity'.

All of the things listed are certainly not healthy, but none of them will cause one to gain weight if there is no overconsumption in general going on. Not even junk food. And since when do antibiotics and pesticides cause weight gain?? Believe me the obese did NOT get that way by eating pesticide-laden veggies and salads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:49 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,076,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Okay I'm sorry but these arguments are just silly. If anything it's part of the excuse people will give to justify their bad diets - oh, it's not me, it's the portion sizes! Oh, it's the GMO - if only it wasn't for the evil GMOs, I could eat these 10 burgers a day and I'd be thin as a wiffle!

Seriously, people. You're going to blame it on labels? How freaking hard is it to figure out how big a serving size is?? It's not like they hide it from you - it says right there on the label: serving size, AND how many servings there are in the container! You don't even have to do the (horribly complicated) math yourself! My 5 year old can figure it out! (not exaggerating btw, he loves reading labels and telling us how much of what is in there ).
I thought I mentioned that if you can READ you can cook therefore that can be generalized in other situation. And did I not say the previous generation has to make (or should I say TEACH) the future generation as you have with your son these things. What did you miss here?

The GMO thing - eh, I dunno, there might be some merit to it but honestly I'm skeptical. There hasn't been anything to show that GMO foods will contribute to weight gain any more than too much non-GMO food will. Yes, if you eat the chemical-laden crap from boxes, you're going to get fat. If you eat veggies and lean meats and dairy and whole grains, *even if these are non-organic/GMO/whatever*, AND watch your portion sizes aka total calories - you won't. I sincerely doubt that the 300 lb Walmart shoppers got fat on a diet of broccoli and chicken breast, just because the broccoli happened to be GMO or the chickens weren't free-range. Yes, for health reasons in general, I absolutely agree it's better to go with organic, pasture-raised, grass-fed, what have you - and luckily for those who care, these options ARE available now - but purely for weight reasons, it doesn't make a damn difference. EAT LESS - seriously, that's all it comes down to.
Well, I have a simple question...just critically thinking here. Why did they even start developing GMO foods in the first place? What was wrong with natural foods? If is was a insect problem then use tabacoo, diatomatous earth, garlic, and predatory insects to control the destructive insect...simple and low cost in comparison to chemical treatment. If it was spoiling too quickly, well duh, that what's it suppose to do and you can reuse it in by composting it or feed to the animals instead processed feed; no loss there.

I have seen shows about how they are making "artificial foodstuff" to look and taste like real food. Why are they doing this? Who do they plan to feed this to?Why modify the food when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place?

Last edited by eyewrist; 02-03-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 PM

78,717 posts, read 70,579,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
2 things:

1. Lack of exercise combined with high indoor computer usage
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup is snuck into every other food in this country, foods that traditionally have no added sugars are now packed full of HFC in order to make people crave their foods and become addicted.

Typical American foods that are now filled with HF corn syrup, besides almost EVERYTHING:

Meats, dairy like sour cream based dips, breads, pastas, tea, pasta sauces and tomato marinara, soups, powdered seasoning mixes, all kinds of fake health foods that are labelled "low fat". They are even adding it in powdered form now. I cant even think of everything, it is pretty much IN everything and the list is 1 mile long.
This doesn't explain anything. Just because it's in a lot of foods doesn't mean people have to buy it and eat it.

I knew a woman who ended up in the hospital, and the hospital fed her drinks and foods with high fructose corn syrup all day. Some of the reason people are fat is due to medical incompetence. Failing to treat people for thyroid disease and other serious illnesses, failing to give patients hormone replacement at midlife, failing--or even refusing--to treat chronic illness is behind some of it.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:58 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,430,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
One factor is people not having time to cook real meals at home. Take out food from chain junk food restaurants is loaded with fat and poor quality nutrition. But it's easy when the parents are too tired to cook.

Another factor is that people eat out so much and the meals are supersized. When I do eat out, I am amazed at how much food is served on the plate. I can't eat that much, it's enough for two or three meals. But people get used to eating all this food at once as if it's normal.

So the answer is to return to real cooking and eating at home just like everyone used to do.
And an option I recommended to locals: Crock-pots. A person can cook virtually anything in a crock-pot, and even people who don't know anything about recipes can put meat, potatoes, and veggies in it before work or school, and it'd be ready when they got home.
But even that seemed too complicated for folks who prefer Mcdonald's and frozen pizza.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,430,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
To me it's all about public perception of obesity.
People who drink and/or smoke are treated as pariahs but hardly a word is said in criticism of over-eaters who place just as much strain on our healthcare system.
And parents who allow their children to become obese are simply guilty of neglect and abuse and should be treated as such.
Perception and the negativity that comes out when anyone even comments that being overweight is unhealthy. They say we're trying to "shame" people who are overweight. And, on top of that, presenting obesity as what's normal these days.
Personally, I'm not concerned about anyone's physical appearance, I just hate seeing people developing health problems that are otherwise unnecessary.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I travel quite a lot and a few things I've noticed.

1. I know of no other country where supermarkets provide motorized wheelchairs for customers too fat to shop.
2. I've never passed through an airport anywhere other than the USA and seen those super-wide wheelchairs at the landing gate for passengers too fat to walk. I see wheelchairs,obviously,but they're literally half the size of the US version.
3. Cops that are so fat they're unable to give chase to criminals. Seriously how can law enforcement people do their jobs properly when they're obese ?
4. Appetizers in US restaurants are the same size as main courses in European restaurants.
5. A size XL in a US clothing store would be same size as an XXL or XXL anywhere else in the world.
6. Schools in the UK,France and German have been prohibited from having vending machines providing soda,candy and chips for nearly a decade.

Again,these are just observations not scientific facts but I find them interesting nonetheless.
It's good to here from someone exposed to other cultures and countries. I also hear these statments from friends from other countries make the same statement you have. Don't forget most other countries do not allow American foods and drugs into their country also.

So the bottom line is what is America doing to contribute to this obesity and why they reject our food?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 PM

15,265 posts, read 12,582,834 times
Its all the processed foods, fast foods.. kids cereals packed with sugar... and when I visited Florida ten years ago I had never seen anyone eat breakfasts like over there ,one man had a pile of pancakes and was pouring loads of maple syrup or whatever over the pile.. it was sickening...

Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,475,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Well, I have a simple question...just critically thinking here. Why did they even started developing GMO foods in the first place? What was wrong with natural foods? If is was a insect problem then use tabacoo, diatomatous earth, garlic, and predatory insects to control the destructive insect...simple If it was spoiling too quickly well dud, that what's it suppose to do and you can reuse it in by composting it or feed to the animals instead processed feed; no loss there.

I have seen shows about how they are making "artificial foodstuff" to look and taste like real food. Why are they doing this? Why modify the food when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place?
Why? Simple. Economics.

There are way too many people; they all want to eat. And, in the case of most North Americans, they want to eat massive portions of good-tasting food AND they want to pay as little as possible for it. So the food industry does just that - meet that demand, through cutting corners in the actual quality of the food to keep prices down and plenty of 'foodstuffs' to go around. Minimizing product loss, minimizing labor and time, and maximizing output by stuffing everything full of corn, soy, and HFCS is the way to do it. Simple market economy. Most of those shoppers at Walmart don't care what kind of cow parts and pink slime is in their $1 value meal - but they sure as *ell will raise a fuss if it goes up to $9 because they start using grass-fed beef and fresh-baked wholegrain burger buns.

People need to realize the industry cares about one thing only - their bottom line. Period. No one really gives a cr*p about you and your health, and it's always going to be that way. Yes it'd be really great if they did - but for the most part, that's utopia. Simply, you're always the one who needs to take responsibility for looking out for yourself and your well-being. The FDA won't do it for you, Walmart won't do it for you, doctors won't do it for you. Luckily though, none of us are being held captive and force-fed burgers at gunpoint against our will. People have the ability and the option to make their own choices. The choice to NOT eat something is always, always there - no matter how poor, busy, stressed, or whatever else you are.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:33 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,381,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Its all the processed foods, fast foods.. kids cereals packed with sugar... and when I visited Florida ten years ago I had never seen anyone eat breakfasts like over there ,one man had a pile of pancakes and was pouring loads of maple syrup or whatever over the pile.. it was sickening...
Ha, ha…I think I saw a commercial for I-Hop advertising all you can eat pancakes

Don't you know….eating out has become an American hobby.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM

[quote=EvilCookie;38292183]

Why? Simple. Economics.
Bingo! And that is why you keep people fat, they make money off them when they eat and medical field makes money off of them when they are sick.

There are way too many people; they all want to eat. And, in the case of most North Americans, they want to eat massive portions of good-tasting food AND they want to pay as little as possible for it. So the food industry does just that - meet that demand, through cutting corners in the actual quality of the food to keep prices down and plenty of 'foodstuffs' to go around. Minimizing product loss, minimizing labor and time, and maximizing output by stuffing everything full of corn, soy, and HFCS is the way to do it. Simple market economy. Most of those shoppers at Walmart don't care what kind of cow parts and pink slime is in their $1 value meal - but they sure as *ell will raise a fuss if it goes up to $9 because they start using grass-fed beef and fresh-baked wholegrain burger buns.
But if people learn to grow and can their own food in the their own backyard then there would not be a demand you think? But the average American don't know how to make the soil under their feet fertile enough to grow fruits and vegetables. AND the government tries to pass laws so you can't grow food in your backyard. What does that say?
People need to realize the industry cares about one thing only - their bottom line. Period. No one really gives a cr*p about you and your health, and it's always going to be that way. Yes it'd be really great if they did - but for the most part, that's utopia. Simply, you're always the one who needs to take responsibility for looking out for yourself and your well-being. The FDA won't do it for you, Walmart won't do it for you, doctors won't do it for you. Luckily though, none of us are being held captive and force-fed burgers at gunpoint against our will. People have the ability and the option to make their own choices. The choice to NOT eat something is always, always there - no matter how poor, busy, stressed, or whatever else you are.
And after many decades of slow trickery of "scientific" lies has resulted in this. People have been put to sleep mentally and emotionally into complacnecy about their health; it has to be relearned and that takes time to reprogram the mind to a healthy mindset.

Last edited by eyewrist; 02-03-2015 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss