Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 12:20 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In Indianapolis, almost every store had a fresh salad bar. There's only one store in my town that has a fresh salad bar. Rural stores often have very little produce or fresh vegetables aside from really basic stuff like grapes, apples, bananas etc. Forget spring mix or spinach for salad, you'd be lucky to find a head of iceberg.

I'm not saying it's "to blame," but when healthy choices are inconvenient to outright unavailable that makes it harder.
For one stay away from salad bars -they are disgusting. Salads are not the only healthy food to eat. There are so many other choices besides salads its mind boggling. Think outside the salad. And if you want to avoid getting sick stay away from foods where strangers serve themselves.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:21 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It's not the obese people who are trying to do something about it that concerns me.
It's the lazy,greedy ones ballooning up into mountains of lard who are going to put pressure on the health system and continue to send my insurance premiums sky-rocketing.

You have become rude and derogatory, which I really think was your main point to begin with.

I always find it odd when someone seems obsessed and overly concerned about a group of people. Discrimination is no more acceptable because it is something that MAY be controllable. To those we see in passing, how are we to know what there medical condition is or why they are over weight.

Why not get offended at real problems (world hunger, war, etc.)?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2017, 12:45 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You have become rude and derogatory, which I really think was your main point to begin with.

I always find it odd when someone seems obsessed and overly concerned about a group of people. Discrimination is no more acceptable because it is something that MAY be controllable. To those we see in passing, how are we to know what there medical condition is or why they are over weight.

Why not get offended at real problems (world hunger, war, etc.)?
The whole point of my original post if you were to read it again is that obesity is primarily caused by over-eating and lack of exercise.
And the lady in question in the original post was clearly making the wrong food choices.
This is a thread about obesity and food choices so naturally you would expect most of my posts and most of the other 690 or so to be about those subjects as well.
I have made many positive suggestions about eating and exercising in this thread as well.
For what it's worth I don't buy this argument about genetics or medical reasons for all but a tiny number of cases.
Genetics haven't suddenly made a major change in less than half a century to turn a population from mostly average size into a majority of them being obese.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:14 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The whole point of my original post if you were to read it again is that obesity is primarily caused by over-eating and lack of exercise.
And the lady in question in the original post was clearly making the wrong food choices.
This is a thread about obesity and food choices so naturally you would expect most of my posts and most of the other 690 or so to be about those subjects as well.
I have made many positive suggestions about eating and exercising in this thread as well.
For what it's worth I don't buy this argument about genetics or medical reasons for all but a tiny number of cases.
Genetics haven't suddenly made a major change in less than half a century to turn a population from mostly average size into a majority of them being obese.

You do not have to "buy" anything. You can still express your thoughts without being insulting.

There are many (controllable) human traits that I find far worse than being overweight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2017, 06:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The sad truth is, judging from this topic, that some will judge you. If you are overweight, you'd better have salad, veggies, and chicken breast in your cart. Nevermind that we're human beings, with human indulgences.

What is sustainable for the long haul is doing some soul searching and realizing your needs as an individual. What works best for you. I refuse to give up sugar or carbs for that matter and I didn't. What was sustainable for me was watching what I eat and eating healthier overall while giving myself some wiggle room (in the form of special occasions/cheat days) where I absolutely don't eat healthy or watch what I eat. I also didn't give up things like dessert or sugar because those things are important to me. Sometimes those little treats mean so much when in moderation. I've lost weight, without the unpleasant "side effect" of bingeing, all because I found something that works and acknowledges my dietary weaknesses.
I notice such a difference in my energy level when I am really picky about the carbs and sugar I eat. I basically will eat them if they are tasty, but I gave myself permission to not finish it, if it doesn't live up to expectations.

I.e. if I feel like a croissant I am going to get one from the nice bakery and enjoy it. But no way will I waste my time on a cardboard tasting one from the gas station!

But on the flip side, I need to be extra diligent if I am going to see progress on the scale. I am not a binger. My day to day is pretty good from a healthy eating perspective and has been for a long time. So I have to experiment with different things, like food combinations and the timing of food. Just focusing on veggies, lean proteins and whole grains does nothing!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You do not have to "buy" anything. You can still express your thoughts without being insulting.

There are many (controllable) human traits that I find far worse than being overweight.
Recipient can be glad your post isn't in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I notice such a difference in my energy level when I am really picky about the carbs and sugar I eat. I basically will eat them if they are tasty, but I gave myself permission to not finish it, if it doesn't live up to expectations.
My main feelings are coming from exercise not diet.

Alas no exercise today, only feeding my face.

Today was my off day. Yesterday and tomorrow will be my "on" days at the gym.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:01 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Hey today is my cheat day too. Had a nice shaved steak sandwich with frites. And a bunch of other stuff that I won't name..

But back to "on" tomorrow until the cheat day next week!

oh yea, I don't train on a cheat day. Ruins my performance (wonder why, lol). I always eat clean on the days that I work out.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

I find that exercise helps me sleep better, wake up earlier and drink less caffeine. Food intake impacts the energy levels I have during the day. The breakfast impacts if and what I may have for a snack later in the day. Lunch impacts how I feel at the 3pm slump.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:55 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
What do you clean eaters eat for breakfast? I need something quick and substantial.

All I can think of are eggs. But what else do you eat?

Also, now that school has started again, I am a full-time employee and a full-time student. Any exercise suggestions for someone who has no time?

Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What do you clean eaters eat for breakfast? I need something quick and substantial.

All I can think of are eggs. But what else do you eat?

Also, now that school has started again, I am a full-time employee and a full-time student. Any exercise suggestions for someone who has no time?
Granola,low-fat Greek Yoghurt and some fruit for breakfast.
Or porridge oats with honey.

As for exercise if you're working full-time build in some walking during the day and take the stairs not the elevator.Even full-time employees have a lunch break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss