U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 11:39 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,352,002 times

Advertisements

It's a good thing they can't force us to eat 'em, eh?

A couple of sugar cookies could destroy 30 minutes and 1-1/2 miles on my treadmill. I didn't slave on that treadmill just to eat a few cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 11:45 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
Just noting another thing I've recently discovered, alcohol is an enemy. As much as I enjoy my wine I've discovered that it is necessary for me to reduce my consumption to perhaps 2 glasses per week, and not on the same day.

Alas, another favorite thing I'll have to give up to achieve good physical fitness and optimal weight. There is no question that I place physical fitness as more important than imbibing wine.

It's a good thing that sex contributes to physical fitness rather than detracting from it!

Old 07-14-2017, 12:20 PM

3,603 posts, read 2,408,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I hope most of us in this topic understand the importance of not eating pure sugar without watching a 1 hour documentary.

Noting that many if not most sweet foods contain large amounts of sugar. If you eat them at all they have to be a rare treat in terms of your overall diet. For example, on occasion I may have pancakes with syrup or honey, probably less than once per month.

If you eat Ding Dongs please unsubscribe from this topic immediately!
If you don't want to watch it that is fine but the video is not just about eating pure sugar. The video goes into depth on the hidden sugar that is in much of the food people eat. If you think you are eating healthy, you may be mistaken. I myself am a diabetic and do not eat any sugar whatsoever and very little carbs for that matter. I've been educating myself on eating healthier for years now and I still took the time to watch and I learned some things I did not know before. Do you think it would take a whole hour just to say that eating pure sugar is bad?

Last edited by gguerra; 07-14-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 07-14-2017, 03:38 PM

3,927 posts, read 2,764,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you don't want to watch it that is fine but the video is not just about eating pure sugar. The video goes into depth on the hidden sugar that is in much of the food people eat. If you think you are eating healthy, you may be mistaken. I myself am a diabetic and do not eat any sugar whatsoever and very little carbs for that matter. I've been educating myself on eating healthier for years now and I still took the time to watch and I learned some things I did not know before. Do you think it would take a whole hour just to say that eating pure sugar is bad?
I watched it, thanks for posting.

Sugar is a problem for me, has been for a very long time. I can always use a little more info on the topic.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:06 PM

10,790 posts, read 10,220,430 times
Hey Hound nice to see you around the block again. Well I've returned from my four day long bender of food, relaxation, um other things (it was our anniversary after all), shopping.. and damn I'm so ready to go back to healthy eating. I ate a lot of meat, fat, and just crap (but good crap) and damn...my gut is all sorts of messed up. The meat and fat made me think I had a stomach flu, my body couldn't take it. The 16 oz ribeye was a doozy. Back to eating my 4 oz of meat once or twice a day and back to eating my beans, rice, pasta. The B&B made a lot of egg, sausage, bacon breakfasts...and they were good, but my body just can't handle it.

Gained 11 lbs for my trouble, though I really don't think I truly gained 11. There's water retention for sure. It's true..once you eat healthy, physically it's hard to go back to old habits. If I see a bag of cheetos now I'm gonna scream. So yeah, I've gained 11 lbs and I'm not beating myself up over it. Just get back to my normal eating pattern, start working out again, and I'll be back to 152 soon enough. I'm very goal oriented, so now I've set a new goal which is to remove vacation pounds. This is the real world. I can't eat healthy all of the time. But that doesn't mean that I've gone off the rails. It means I took a week off, that's all. Balance.

I visited a small town in texas, very nice town but some folks acted like they've never seen a girl with a pixie/boy cut and guns before.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:17 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,032,226 times
Talking of sugar ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-to-the-truth

Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hey Hound nice to see you around the block again. Well I've returned from my four day long bender of food, relaxation, um other things (it was our anniversary after all), shopping.. and damn I'm so ready to go back to healthy eating. I ate a lot of meat, fat, and just crap (but good crap) and damn...my gut is all sorts of messed up. The meat and fat made me think I had a stomach flu, my body couldn't take it. The 16 oz ribeye was a doozy. Back to eating my 4 oz of meat once or twice a day and back to eating my beans, rice, pasta. The B&B made a lot of egg, sausage, bacon breakfasts...and they were good, but my body just can't handle it.

Gained 11 lbs for my trouble, though I really don't think I truly gained 11. There's water retention for sure. ...

I visited a small town in texas, very nice town but some folks acted like they've never seen a girl with a pixie/boy cut and guns before.
Pixie/boy cut and guns!

I think the mistake is that four days is too long. Last couple weeks I allow myself one day per week, typically dining out. The rest of the week I'm on prison rations and water. — I can't imagine eating 16 ounces of rib eye steak, although I'll admit I once roasted a 2-bone 3-1/2 pound prime rib and split it with a friend. I buy the smallest rib eyes I can find (8-9 oz.) and even then I usually end up not being able to eat it all. Although filet mignon is not as tasty I appreciate the smaller serving size. One recommendation is a steak no larger than your palm. — Just tonight I decided my standard 1/3 pound hamburger (no side dishes) is too big. In the future I'm going to switch to 1/4 pounders.

I've noticed what may be water retention caused by even small amounts of alcohol, like 2 glasses of wine. I can't explain any other way a week of abstention then 2 glasses of wine, next day 3 pounds gain. It's going to take a couple weeks more experimentation to fully define it, and determine the effect of once a week wine on my long term goals. It's going to be an awfully dry 6 days a week for me.

I believe one important part of dieting is to find your borderline smallest dinner that doesn't result in unacceptable hunger at bed time. And then maybe have one day a week where you can splurge.

It's important to understand the difference between dieting and diet. I'm dieting, eating less than normal to decrease my weight. When I reach my target weight I'll be able to increase my dinner sizes to at least some degree however small. Once I reach my target weight it's diet, not dieting.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 AM

790 posts, read 478,207 times
Quote:
Just noting another thing I've recently discovered, alcohol is an enemy. As much as I enjoy my wine I've discovered that it is necessary for me to reduce my consumption to perhaps 2 glasses per week, and not on the same day.

Alas, another favorite thing I'll have to give up to achieve good physical fitness and optimal weight. There is no question that I place physical fitness as more important than imbibing wine.

It's a good thing that sex contributes to physical fitness rather than detracting from it!
Agreed! It's not just the alcohol..it's the bad decisions and laziness that proceed the consumption of alcohol. If I have a six pack of beer over the course of a weekend the chances of me being productive and eating healthy on Monday are pretty slim. As much as I love beer and an occasional glass of wine I had to slow way down. Right now, I'm drinking about half as much booze as I did last summer. It helps tremendously.

Same thing goes for caffeine. If I drink too much caffeine I get lazy and irresponsible.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:01 PM

I fiddled with my coffee consumption which was 3 large cups in early morning up until about 3 months ago. One of my problems is getting uninterrupted sleep. I experimented with 1, 2 or 3 cups per day over a few weeks and could find no noticeable difference. I drink 2 cups/day now, early morning. At least for me coffee does not enter into the equation.

My next experiment is to discover if there is any quantity of wine I can drink (preceded by a few days of abstinence) that does not affect my sleep. One standard of "1 glass of wine" is 5 oz. I'm going to try 8 oz. next time (perhaps a few days from now) and see if that disturbs my sleep. If yes then I'll wait a few more days and try 5 oz. In the end I may settle for one 5 oz. glass of wine per week and accept disturbed sleep for one night per week. I'd rather not give up completely. I'm trying to find a compromise I can live with.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:26 PM

10,790 posts, read 10,220,430 times
Quote:
Pixie/boy cut and guns!

I think the mistake is that four days is too long. Last couple weeks I allow myself one day per week, typically dining out. The rest of the week I'm on prison rations and water. — I can't imagine eating 16 ounces of rib eye steak, although I'll admit I once roasted a 2-bone 3-1/2 pound prime rib and split it with a friend. I buy the smallest rib eyes I can find (8-9 oz.) and even then I usually end up not being able to eat it all. Although filet mignon is not as tasty I appreciate the smaller serving size. One recommendation is a steak no larger than your palm. — Just tonight I decided my standard 1/3 pound hamburger (no side dishes) is too big. In the future I'm going to switch to 1/4 pounders.

I've noticed what may be water retention caused by even small amounts of alcohol, like 2 glasses of wine. I can't explain any other way a week of abstention then 2 glasses of wine, next day 3 pounds gain. It's going to take a couple weeks more experimentation to fully define it, and determine the effect of once a week wine on my long term goals. It's going to be an awfully dry 6 days a week for me.

I believe one important part of dieting is to find your borderline smallest dinner that doesn't result in unacceptable hunger at bed time. And then maybe have one day a week where you can splurge.

It's important to understand the difference between dieting and diet. I'm dieting, eating less than normal to decrease my weight. When I reach my target weight I'll be able to increase my dinner sizes to at least some degree however small. Once I reach my target weight it's diet, not dieting.
Lol well it was vacation. Fully expected to gain at least ten lbs. didn't really expect my body's reaction to the food. I guess when you've become accustomed to healthy eating with once per week indulgences, my colon couldn't handle the change. Back to the regular program though. It is hard transitioning back as I really do want to eat unlimited amounts of junk but today I ate like normal. Once I return to the gym I know everything will be better. The way I'm wired, if I don't work out I won't eat well. I never exercise on my cheat day. Working out is that important to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss