U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 02:43 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,476,168 times

Advertisements

[quote=eyewrist;38292856]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post

Why? Simple. Economics.
Bingo! And that is why you keep people fat, they make money off them when they eat and medical field makes money off of them when they are sick.

There are way too many people; they all want to eat. And, in the case of most North Americans, they want to eat massive portions of good-tasting food AND they want to pay as little as possible for it. So the food industry does just that - meet that demand, through cutting corners in the actual quality of the food to keep prices down and plenty of 'foodstuffs' to go around. Minimizing product loss, minimizing labor and time, and maximizing output by stuffing everything full of corn, soy, and HFCS is the way to do it. Simple market economy. Most of those shoppers at Walmart don't care what kind of cow parts and pink slime is in their $1 value meal - but they sure as *ell will raise a fuss if it goes up to $9 because they start using grass-fed beef and fresh-baked wholegrain burger buns.
But if people learn to grow and can their own food in the their own backyard then there would not be a demand you think? But the average American don't know how to make the soil under their feet fertile enough to grow fruits and vegetables. AND the government tries to pass laws so you can't grow food in your backyard. What does that say?
People need to realize the industry cares about one thing only - their bottom line. Period. No one really gives a cr*p about you and your health, and it's always going to be that way. Yes it'd be really great if they did - but for the most part, that's utopia. Simply, you're always the one who needs to take responsibility for looking out for yourself and your well-being. The FDA won't do it for you, Walmart won't do it for you, doctors won't do it for you. Luckily though, none of us are being held captive and force-fed burgers at gunpoint against our will. People have the ability and the option to make their own choices. The choice to NOT eat something is always, always there - no matter how poor, busy, stressed, or whatever else you are.
And after many decades of slow trickery of "scientific" lies has resulted in this. People have been put to sleep mentally and emotionally into complacnecy about their health; it has to be relearned and that takes time to reprogram the mind to a healthy mindset.
No, I don't believe that in today's world, especially in urban locations, it is realistic for the majority of people to grow their own food. Even if you manage to grow a few veggies in your backyard, it's just not going to suffice. But most people who don't live in a rural area, and who have jobs outside the home, are simply not going to be interested in a homesteading lifestyle and all the time, effort, work, and patience necessary to produce their own food. It's simply not possible nor desired for most.

Luckily enough, that is by no means a necessity for a healthy diet. There are enough farmers out there nice enough to grow produce for us in exchange for money. One just needs to make the choice to put that money towards it instead of a whopper.

And enough with the tinfoil hats, please. There's no one out there 'keeping' people fat. There's no one programming minds. People are keeping themselves fat and ignorant. Stop shifting blame and accept personal responsibility. We're not in North Korea. The information is there, the knowledge is there, the options are there, it's at your fingertips. Honestly, little kids know what food is healthy and what isn't, it ain't rocket science. What's missing is effort and thought and will, and again, no one's going to do that for you. Society, industry, whoever, are not going to make you put down the burger and soda. YOU need to be the one to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 PM

43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
Quote:
Sigh. Here we go again.

Do not confuse 'unhealthy' with 'causes obesity'.

All of the things listed are certainly not healthy, but none of them will cause one to gain weight if there is no overconsumption in general going on. Not even junk food. And since when do antibiotics and pesticides cause weight gain?? Believe me the obese did NOT get that way by eating pesticide-laden veggies and salads
Learn.
Learn about the role gut flora and hormones play in metabolism... and how pesticides and abx mess with that.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM

894 posts, read 840,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I agree with you.
But the HFCS argument is superfluous if Americans were to prepare and cook their food from scratch like they used to.
I can make a beef stew to feed a family of six that costs less than a Big Mac and Fries with a half-gallon cup of sugared water laughingly called soda.
Laziness and stupidity is what drives obesity in this country.
^^This^^. I was laid off for a year and I still managed to eat healthfully despite the drastic cut in my income. If whole chickens were on sale, I'd buy one, roast it, have a few good meals and then use the carcass and pickings for stock and soup. If berries or bananas were buy one get one, I'd load up and freeze them for smoothies. There are so many ways you can stretch a meal budget if only you put a little thought into it. And you can eat real food, not that processed crap they sell at fast food restaurants.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Learn.
Learn about the role gut flora and hormones play in metabolism... and how pesticides and abx mess with that.
How many people do you personally know that got to be morbidly obese by never overeating and making healthy food choices, simply because their meat and produce had abx residue and pesticides in them?
Do the people the OP was describing, with cartfulls of cheetos, soda, and Kraft dinner, sound like the pesticides are their problem?
Or that a salad of conventional baby spinach and grilled chicken breast will put on more weight than the same salad with organic, free-range products?

Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 PM

685 posts, read 564,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
2 things:

1. Lack of exercise combined with high indoor computer usage
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup is snuck into every other food in this country, foods that traditionally have no added sugars are now packed full of HFC in order to make people crave their foods and become addicted.

Typical American foods that are now filled with HF corn syrup, besides almost EVERYTHING:

Meats, dairy like sour cream based dips, breads, pastas, tea, pasta sauces and tomato marinara, soups, powdered seasoning mixes, all kinds of fake health foods that are labelled "low fat". They are even adding it in powdered form now. I cant even think of everything, it is pretty much IN everything and the list is 1 mile long.
Yep, I agree with you and the OP. But why is this surprising? Processed sugar makes you hungrier. Artificial sweeteners make you hungrier. HF corn syrup is GMO laden (so you do not really know what the product is) it is unhealthy for you. It's the way the economy was designed - to get you to want more of something.

Low fat (I've looked for years) = higher sugar content

Old 02-03-2015, 03:07 PM

685 posts, read 564,907 times
Quote:
How many people do you personally know that got to be morbidly obese by never overeating and making healthy food choices, simply because their meat and produce had abx residue and pesticides in them?
Do the people the OP was describing, with cartfulls of cheetos, soda, and Kraft dinner, sound like the pesticides are their problem?
Or that a salad of conventional baby spinach and grilled chicken breast will put on more weight than the same salad with organic, free-range products?
Agreed except that free-range sounds like chickens are free to roam. Many non-local farms free-range means a couple of extra feet in which to move around and that may be all it means.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:12 PM

894 posts, read 840,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Yep, I agree with you and the OP. But why is this surprising? Processed sugar makes you hungrier. Artificial sweeteners make you hungrier. HF corn syrup is GMO laden (so you do not really know what the product is) it is unhealthy for you. It's the way the economy was designed - to get you to want more of something.

Low fat (I've looked for years) = higher sugar content
I read somewhere that when doctors claimed fat was the enemy during the 1970's, food corporations had to retool all their products to lower fat content. In order to make them taste good they had to load everything with sugar and thus the obesity epidemic began.

As an elective I took a nutrition class in college where the professor showed us an interesting slide-show comparing portions of food from the 1950's to the present. The items included things like muffins, bagels, burgers and coffee. It was amazing to see how small everything was compared to what people eat nowadays.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,077,253 times
[quote=EvilCookie;38293461][quote=eyewrist;38292856]

No, I don't believe that in today's world, especially in urban locations, it is realistic for the majority of people to grow their own food. Even if you manage to grow a few veggies in your backyard, it's just not going to suffice. But most people who don't live in a rural area, and who have jobs outside the home, are simply not going to be interested in a homesteading lifestyle and all the time, effort, work, and patience necessary to produce their own food. It's simply not possible nor desired for most.
And this statement is a prime example of prolong lies told to the American people and is believed. It is NOT difficult, it does not require large amount of space or time (just give up a couple of your favorite TV shows and get your children to participate as a fun activity while learning a skill BTW), does not require chemical as they have brainwashed you to believe and you get to exercise regularly by gardening.

Several churches in my city have "community garden" for the public to come and get FREE vegetables, even the large university here let you set up raised garden in the area on the campus to come plant a garden. A friend of mine in the state of Washington told me of a group of people from a shelter help those who want to put a garden in their backyard, teach them how to care for them but ask them to donate 10% back to the shelter for the homeless and low income...what a novel idea!!!
Luckily enough, that is by no means a necessity for a healthy diet. There are enough farmers out there nice enough to grow produce for us in exchange for money. One just needs to make the choice to put that money towards it instead of a whopper.
You just said there is not enough food to go around. Here in my state we support organic farmers by buying their grass fed meats and dairy but why not grow your own vegetables? Silly to drive else where when you can walk a couple of feet in your backyard. Ok, ok, for those too lazy to grow their own; go to the Health Food store then you will see that growing your own is more cost effective
And enough with the tinfoil hats, please. There's no one out there 'keeping' people fat. There's no one programming minds. People are keeping themselves fat and ignorant. Stop shifting blame and accept personal responsibility. We're not in North Korea. The information is there, the knowledge is there, the options are there, it's at your fingertips. Honestly, little kids know what food is healthy and what isn't, it ain't rocket science. What's missing is effort and thought and will, and again, no one's going to do that for you. Society, industry, whoever, are not going to make you put down the burger and soda. YOU need to be the one to do that.
If what I say is false and a number of people won't do this then why are local governement across this nation trying to stop people from growing garden at home? There must be a threat to them. It laughable to try to keep people from growing their own food UNLESS their is a reason to stop them.

Well, I see you are getting upset because I'm making you think sooo enough said...see ya

Last edited by eyewrist; 02-03-2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,077,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Learn.
Thank you S4. No one is telling people and not seeking the info

Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM

[quote=eyewrist;38294076][quote=EvilCookie;38293461]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
If what I say is false and a number of people won't do this then why are local governement across this nation trying to stop people from growing garden at home? There must be a threat to them. It laughable to try to keep people from growing their own food UNLESS their is a reason to stop them.

Well, I see you are getting upset because I'm making you think sooo enough said...see ya
I...really don't know why, because I haven't seen it. I know some people who enjoy gardening and homesteading, and buy homes with larger lots especially for that reason. I live in a very typical suburb, and many of the houses around the outskirts are older with acreage where people do whatever they want, including keeping chickens, goats etc. I even know a person with goats and llamas, who makes all her own goat dairy, and they don't live on a farm or have any licenses etc.

However, most of the people I know simply aren't interested in this lifestyle and the effort that it takes, or live in condos/townhomes etc where it's not feasible.

I have no reason to be 'upset', more like amused at the conspiracy theories. But it does annoy me when people will place blame on anything and everything (government! society! Big Brother!), instead of taking a long hard look at themselves and their own life choices. Somehow myself, my spouse, both of our families and pretty much most of our friends manage to have decent diets and maintain healthy weights in spite of not growing our own food or buying 100% organic (though I do go organic for dairy and meats for the most part). Oh, and we dine out a fair bit AND even occasionally indulge in something like takeout pizza. Imagine that! Just, you know, with a couple of slices per person and that's dinner, maybe a few times a year. Moderation - what a concept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss