U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 11:56 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,199,642 times

Advertisements

You should understand that the enemy is starches, and wheat is only one of them (as when wheat is made into bread). Avoid all refined starches if you want to lose weight. A small amount won't hurt you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:35 PM

5,322 posts, read 6,396,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You should understand that the enemy is starches, and wheat is only one of them (as when wheat is made into bread). Avoid all refined starches if you want to lose weight. A small amount won't hurt you.
You don't need to avoid starches or wheat in order to lose weight. No need to eliminate any food group at all. If you eat whole foods, as in not prepackaged, focus on vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains (not boxed foods that tout whole grains, actually whole grains), healthy fats, fruit, and drink enough water you can lose weight and be healthy. Also exercise. Exercise is so important in so many different ways. However you cannot use exercise as a means to weight loss. It enhances weight loss, well being, self imagine, and makes us very healthy beings.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:41 PM

10,722 posts, read 10,111,524 times
Quote:
Thank you!

There are also salt substitute spice mixtures available that contain no salt at all.

I presume you added back enough salt to correct your blood deficiency.

I'm sure you agree that one of the best solutions to the dietary insult that processed foods are is to simply not consume them. Or in my case I may have 1-2 nuke dinners for emergencies e.g. me being too lazy to cook.

I prefer the Mediterranean diet myself, at least in cooking style, although Asian food is one of my favorite cuisines. Asians typically eat large amounts of white rice (very bad since it's a starch, they eat it because they are poor and rice is cheap) and small amounts of protein, etc., as a sort of macro-seasoning for their rice. They are probably thin because of the reduced quantities of food due to poverty. Myself, when eating Asian I often skip the rice or eat only small amounts.

I don't drink soft drinks. I don't drink anything they didn't have centuries ago. For the record, it isn't fat that makes you fat, it's starches e.g. rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, and sugar although not a starch. Dietary fat simply adds calories which your digestion can turn into tissue fat.

I think there was a question about cooking oil here. The reason French fries are bad is because probably all restaurants and most people pick the cheapest oil to cook fries in, corn oil. I use only olive oil a la Mediterranean style, or sometimes use avocado oil which has the highest smoke point of all cooking oils. I rarely cook fries because you can re-use the oil only 2-3 times and OO is too expensive to waste that way, and anyway deep fried foods are relatively unhealthy at least in my diet.

My means of addressing that is to eat minimal carbs and I'm very careful about fats. There is such a thing as a ketogenic diet (which uses an alternate metabolic pathway and produces body fuel differently than starches). An example would be a steak, and a non-starchy vegetable such as asparagus. No starches at all. The carbs in asparagus are difficult to digest (and the fiber), and produce little if any rise in blood sugar level. In fact that is the big problem with starches such as potatoes etc. is the large sugar spike they produce in you blood stream, a signal to your body's metabolism to take sugar out of your blood and store it in fat cells.

I go ketogenic a couple times a week, partly because of laziness that I can cook a quick steak and a vegetable so easily, and I'm doing my body a favor by not including starches in my meal. For the record I disapprove the full-on 100% ketogenic diet although some people swear by it. Extremists eat nothing but raw meat with a small quantity of raw fat ground in. (Yuck!) Google is your friend.

I hope with my B.S. degree and writing experience that my posts are communicating complex scientific concepts in plain language that are easier to understand than going to the source information. My goal is to help more people understand the 'why' behind the 'what.'

The key concept is that carbs and sugars (like HFCS) are the enemy. And we should all remember that routine exercise should be part of a healthy lifestyle. And please consider using only olive oil in your kitchen. It doesn't have to be EVOO either. I use just plain Kirkland OO.
Respectfully I disagree with the blanket statement that carbs and sugar are “the enemy”. Designating foods as “enemies” is partially why we’re in this mess. Fat was an unfair “enemy” years ago. I don’t believe that anything is an enemy, overconsuming is the enemy. Being sedentary is the Enemy. I don’t regularly overeat and I don’t eat tons of garbage. I buffer that by working out (lifting and cardio) and I’m good. No cutting of any kind. But if that works for YOU then that’s great. I admit that I am probably twenty years younger too and that makes a difference. But carbs have their place in a healthy diet. I eat 150-200g daily and no weight gain. As for Asian diet has nothing really to do with poverty but everything to do with region. The weather patterns support rice cultivation particularly in Southeast Asia where you get monsoons (not particularly wheat friendly). Asia has a lot of affluence these days but rice has become a cultural staple. If you study the different diets of the world you’ll see that carbs aka grains or starchy vegetables are the foundation. Even hunter gatherers cultivated or gathered edible tubers because they provided a ready source of fuel to fill the pot. Protein and fAt were much harder to procure. The problem with first world countries is that food no longer is hard to get and just eat and eat without burning anything. I gain weight when I eat big portions

Old 06-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
I'm just noting that anything I say is just my opinion, and I respect that differing opinions are a great way to give readers the choice to assimilate all the information and form their own opinions. I do not have any formal training in nutrition.

For what it's worth I've been plateaued for quite some time (after catching a flu that kept me sick for a month). I've finally turned the corner, now down 6 pounds in the last month (30 days) and 4 pounds just this week. I am still outside normal BMI.

I worked out 4 days last week (Sat-Tues) and life (or sloth) kept me out of the gym since then. I plan to go today (I hope). I feel so good after working out. I swagger!

I think to some extent there no "one fits all" diet. Those ketogenic people think they found the holy grail. Well it seems to work for them or so say the testimonials.

For the record, I skip refined carbs maybe 3-4 times a week, but I'll have rice or fries sometimes too. I go protein and vegetable 1-2 times a week. I think a healthy diet should be varied and should have all things, but mainly whole foods.

In the end nothing matters except are you inside the BMI normal band? And are you getting a healthy amount of exercise? If just those two things are true then the only place you can mess up is in essential fatty acids that your body cannot manufacture, and various vitamins and minerals. I take a whole bunch of supplements so I know I'm living a clean life. I don't know when I'll reach the BMI normal band but probably some time late summer.

I'm dating, and I bet dancing is almost as good as Zumba!

Old 06-03-2018, 02:39 PM

4,054 posts, read 3,069,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You don't need to avoid starches or wheat in order to lose weight. No need to eliminate any food group at all. If you eat whole foods, as in not prepackaged, focus on vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains (not boxed foods that tout whole grains, actually whole grains), healthy fats, fruit, and drink enough water you can lose weight and be healthy. Also exercise. Exercise is so important in so many different ways. However you cannot use exercise as a means to weight loss. It enhances weight loss, well being, self imagine, and makes us very healthy beings.
There is a caveat with whole grains. The grains need to be sprouted to be worthwhile. Whole grains include the husk which contains phytic acid. The process of sprouting grains breaks down the husk and eliminates the phytic acid without destroying the nutrients. Phytic acid binds to the beneficial minerals and nutrients in whole grains making them unavailable for digestion. The human body does not produce the necessary enzyme to breakdown phytic acid and attempts to great a man-made equivalent supplement have not produced working results either. A couple of weeks ago I switched to sprouted whole grain breads. While regular whole grains won't harm you they don't provide any nutritional benefits either.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...g-phytic-acid/

https://breakingmuscle.com/healthy-e...of-phytic-acid

Phytic Acid, The Bane of Grains - Holistic Squid

Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,978,791 times
The thing about heavy carbs like bread,pasta and rice is that they're cheap ways of filling a stomach - be it an American or an Asian one.
If you eliminate these starches from your diet in an attempt to lose weight then in a relatively short period of time your stomach requires less food to fill it and hence it sends signals to your brain to eat less.
Just try for one week to eliminate all these things from your daily intake as well as sugar,alcohol and dairy and compensate for them with huge increases in salads and vegetables grown above ground with some lean protein like fish and grilled chicken without the skin and it is the perfect kick-start to a long-term plan of losing weight.
And drink tons of water.
There is so much nonsense written about weight loss and the solutions are really very simple - if you consume less and move more you will lose weight.
End of.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:22 PM

4,312 posts, read 1,257,598 times
Exercise increases the metabolism. And it creates muscle. Lack of exercise slows the metabolism and causes muscle loss.

Restricting calories also slows the metabolism. So you eat less and less, but do not lose fat permanently.

Avoid processed food, especially refined sugar, and exercise enough and your weight will always stay normal.

The CDC recommends 90 minutes of exercise per week, and that seems like not nearly enough.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The thing about heavy carbs like bread,pasta and rice is that they're cheap ways of filling a stomach - be it an American or an Asian one.
If you eliminate these starches from your diet in an attempt to lose weight then in a relatively short period of time your stomach requires less food to fill it and hence it sends signals to your brain to eat less.
Just try for one week to eliminate all these things from your daily intake as well as sugar,alcohol and dairy and compensate for them with huge increases in salads and vegetables grown above ground with some lean protein like fish and grilled chicken without the skin and it is the perfect kick-start to a long-term plan of losing weight.
And drink tons of water.
There is so much nonsense written about weight loss and the solutions are really very simple - if you consume less and move more you will lose weight.
End of.
I believe in "consume less, move more". That isn't the same as the rest of what you wrote - eliminating starches, dairy (wth?), and anything else. And dang it, I'm going to enjoy alcohol from time to time and eat dessert daily. Guess what? I lost weight. Because I'm a firm believer in moderation and exercise. I see no need to eliminate anything from one's diet. You need to train your body to get used to smaller portions of everything. It's overly simplistic to think that you can substitute just about everything with protein and vegetables. You're not understanding what drives human beings. Many people crave sugar, salt or fat. Like I said, if I want a chocolate bar, I'll be danged if I eat a big bowl of broccoli with chicken. People desire things not just to fill their belly to satisfy their various urges. How about eat a smaller portion of what you love?

Also, eating chicken/fish and veggies for most of your diet is flat out boring to me. Grilled chicken I presume is chicken breast, which is another boring protein source. I've taken to eating chicken thighs instead. And I also have increased my intake of beef as well. As long as I keep to my caloric range (calculated by Lose It and my own weight loss/gain patterns) and work out, I'm ok.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I'm just noting that anything I say is just my opinion, and I respect that differing opinions are a great way to give readers the choice to assimilate all the information and form their own opinions. I do not have any formal training in nutrition.

For what it's worth I've been plateaued for quite some time (after catching a flu that kept me sick for a month). I've finally turned the corner, now down 6 pounds in the last month (30 days) and 4 pounds just this week. I am still outside normal BMI.

I worked out 4 days last week (Sat-Tues) and life (or sloth) kept me out of the gym since then. I plan to go today (I hope). I feel so good after working out. I swagger!

I think to some extent there no "one fits all" diet. Those ketogenic people think they found the holy grail. Well it seems to work for them or so say the testimonials.

For the record, I skip refined carbs maybe 3-4 times a week, but I'll have rice or fries sometimes too. I go protein and vegetable 1-2 times a week. I think a healthy diet should be varied and should have all things, but mainly whole foods.

In the end nothing matters except are you inside the BMI normal band? And are you getting a healthy amount of exercise? If just those two things are true then the only place you can mess up is in essential fatty acids that your body cannot manufacture, and various vitamins and minerals. I take a whole bunch of supplements so I know I'm living a clean life. I don't know when I'll reach the BMI normal band but probably some time late summer.

I'm dating, and I bet dancing is almost as good as Zumba!
Hey if you can string together three-four days you're doing great! exercise has been THE key to my success. I feel so good about myself and hell I look great too. Went clothes shopping the other day and it's nice to not have to wear size 18 any longer. It's nice having muscles too.

I do know how you feel, though. I remember how happy I was to hit 170. I was no longer in the "overweight" BMI category. Attaining that goal was big for me. You can do it. And congrats on dating! Have fun!

Old 06-04-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Great advice! And thanks for starting such an interesting and important topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss