U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 11:21 AM

14,523 posts, read 15,453,735 times

Advertisements

Mikala, I just know you are a fine example of femininity! And Riaelise too!

There is one thing I believe is certain, we physical fitness buffs will probably live on the average at least 10 years longer than our couch potato counterparts, and our lives will be full of energy and positivity all the years we live.

Working out and fitness would be worth it even if not considering weight issues. There is a reason for the word, "buff."

I practically prance when I go shopping directly from LA Fitness. Got my t-shirt with sleeves chopped, shoulder muscles swelled from my workout. Or later in the day dressed up for a date, wearing my cowboy boots!

There is another major reason for working out. Whether you are in a relationship or single, there can be no doubt that working out makes you more attractive. You can't change your facial beauty or handsomeness much, but with sufficient effort almost any healthy person can really change their body to the better.

My mind is just awed in the character difference between fitness buffs and couch potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 AM

32,213 posts, read 20,309,854 times
I am merely out running a host of medical problems and trying not to die young.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-05-2018, 12:15 PM

3,786 posts, read 2,063,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes, I have.

Carbohydrates have the same number of calories per gram as protein. Carbs don't have to be high in calories either. One normal sized sweet potato is 180. That's pretty low, and it's packed with vitamins, minerals and all sorts of healthful stuff. Even a 3/4 cup of cooked rice is only 160 calories. Pasta is 190-200, hardly a gut buster. Even snack-wise, 30 mini pretzels is 120 calories.

The problem arises when people overeat and in that event, anything can be calorific (except possibly veggies).

Since I watch my calories, I am very much attuned to what gives me the biggest bang for my caloric buck. If more people ate whole potatoes (instead of fries), whole wheat (instead of bleached flour white products), and ate smaller portions of things that don't provide much nutrition (candy, for example) then we wouldn't be having this problem. Salad and veggies are nice, but they provide a false sense of satiety. They are filled with water, hence giving you the illusion of being full, but you don't stay full. When I eat meat and veggies, I am hungry two hours later. Really, only fat provides that full feeling if we're going by macros alone since it has 9 cals/g. however, I can't stomach constant fatty meals. when I eat a meal that contains a starch, veggie, and a protein source I am full for hours.

A lot of the examples you give are the worst examples that people should do without. Sorry, I do not agree that wonderful things like sweet potatoes and fruit are bad for you and are the same as fries and hamburger buns. "Carbs" comprises of a variety of things.

This whole anti-carb thing is nuts.

I teach my children to eat fruit, not candy. To eat sweet potatoes, not chips. Yet as adults, we're supposed to do away with these things because they're now "bad"?

This is the anti-fat movement all over again, only this time it's carbs. Why can't we own our waistlines? I got fat because I ate too much and moved too little. I ate tons of protein, carbs, fat, whatever. I rode a bus instead of walking a mile. How did I lose weight? I decided to practice portion control, focus on eating mostly healthy things (while relegating unhealthy choices to "treats"), and most importantly I joined a gym and put in some sweat equity. I've openly posted my photos before and after so that people can see the difference. It didn't lose the 70 lbs quickly (took a year) but it also hasn't come back on, which is far more important to me. Most importantly, I have a sustainable lifestyle that doesn't have me reverting back to bad habits.

That's all very well but every single one of your posts is about you,you,you and how fantastic you are.There's hardly a sentence that doesn't begin with I.
I'm trying to help people who might not be able to lose weight the way you did and for many people reducing the amount of carbs they consume is a very beneficial and easy way of doing it.
There's also so much medical evidence to back this up that even someone as magnificently glorious as you could spare a moment in your wonderful life to read it.
Note,I am no saying remove carbs from your diet but reduce them to a reasonable level as for most people it is carbs that put on the fat.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Good advice except the "lots of fruit". Common fruits like bananas and grapes are loaded with sugar and that will add way too many carbs. Fruits like tomatoes and apples are better.
I agree about certain types of fruit but if you're on a diet heavily reduced in calories and sugar then something like an apple or a pear instead of a meal is an excellent substitute and although they may contain natural sugars the benefits of everything else that's in them outweighs that.
An apple a day etc etc
Any eating regime that's high in leaf vegetables,lean protein and fruit will see a person lose weight.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:20 PM

Wow, that was pretty unfair.

Rialese accomplished a large weight loss, so of course she will share her experience, and conveying that experience will start with "I".

While she has never said how fantastic she is, I DO think she is pretty fantastic. Lost the weight and she is in GREAT shape (saw a pic).

There is no greater teacher than experience.

Plus, she has never said NOT to do anything if it works for the individual, just pointed out that it is not necessary if you do not wish.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Quote:
I use that machine, at 125 lbs I can do sets at 175 lbs (I find I do less on that machine as opposed to regular leg presses). My upper body has never been strong when it comes to weights, but I don't care about the numbers, I care about the result.

I was measured at 27% fat, which is high from where I was in my youth, but getting there.
That's pretty impressive Mikala! If we ever meet in person and you want my wallet, just ask. If I'm nice maybe I won't have to run. I'm currently doing 140 lbs but on the verge of doing 180 lbs, maybe 5 sets of 10 reps.

I haven't been watching my fat but I just looked (Weight Gurus WiFi Scale & app) and it's 24.5%. But of course men generally have less body fat than women. That's down from 26% about a month ago.

Wow, that makes my weight loss even better because it shows that more of it was body fat.

I've just realized that I am not too heavy for my height, I'm merely too short for my weight.

Last edited by Lovehound; 06-05-2018 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM

That's a huge change - congratulations!!

Well known secret: I don't run. (RA in feet so only low impact)

Old 06-05-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Rialese accomplished a large weight loss, so of course she will share her experience, and conveying that experience will start with "I".

While she has never said how fantastic she is, I DO think she is pretty fantastic. Lost the weight and she is in GREAT shape (saw a pic).

There is no greater teacher than experience.

Plus, she has never said NOT to do anything if it works for the individual, just pointed out that it is not necessary if you do not wish.
She thought reducing carbs from a diet is nonsense.I though her reply was nonsense.It balances itself out eventually.
Not everyone has the time,money or motivation to achieve significant weight loss by a carefully managed portion-controlled eating regime.
But as a good rule reducing the amount of carbs in a diet is as good a place as any to start.
An apple is better than a packet of chips.You know the rest.
Here's a good primer for anyone interested.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...t/art-20045831

Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
That's a huge change - congratulations!!

Well known secret: I don't run. (RA in feet so only low impact)
I don't run either. Well a few times I've turned up the treadmill to 4+ mph until my gait changed to jogging, but I can only do that 1-2 minutes. My norm was 30 minutes but recently changed to 20 minutes, 3.5 slope 3.5 mph. I decided to spend the extra 10 minutes on other machines.

I see maybe 20 year old women running 5-6 mph for longer than I can watch, and only wonder. Once again my belief that women are the superior gender is affirmed.

I'm thinking of trying again and again to introduce 4+ mph into my treading. I experiment each time for a minute or two.

Thank you on the compliment. I've been trying for months to get off the plateau and now I finally made it. I don't even know what changed, I've been doing the same thing for months. Maybe only just a slight increase in frequency of workout days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
She thought reducing carbs from a diet is nonsense.I though her reply was nonsense.It balances itself out eventually.
I agree with you, I truly believe that reducing carbs is important in MY diet. Probably at least 3 days each week I have dinner with no carb serving. But I also love French fries and dinner tonight is a cheeseburger and fries at my favorite restaurant, with one of my favorite buddies.

I think you went a bit overboard in your "overuse of the letter I" comment. We can discuss this without taking it personal.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't run either. Well a few times I've turned up the treadmill to 4+ mph until my gait changed to jogging, but I can only do that 1-2 minutes. My norm was 30 minutes but recently changed to 20 minutes, 3.5 slope 3.5 mph. I decided to spend the extra 10 minutes on other machines.

I see maybe 20 year old women running 5-6 mph for longer than I can watch, and only wonder. Once again my belief that women are the superior gender is affirmed.

I'm thinking of trying again and again to introduce 4+ mph into my treading. I experiment each time for a minute or two.

Thank you on the compliment. I've been trying for months to get off the plateau and now I finally made it. I don't even know what changed, I've been doing the same thing for months. Maybe only just a slight increase in frequency of workout days.

I agree with you, I truly believe that reducing carbs is important in MY diet. Probably at least 3 days each week I have dinner with no carb serving. But I also love French fries and dinner tonight is a cheeseburger and fries at my favorite restaurant, with one of my favorite buddies.

I think you went a bit overboard in your "overuse of the letter I" comment. We can discuss this without taking it personal.
I'm sure the poster can cope.
It's important to remember that one size doesn't fit all when it comes to dieting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss