U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,333,350 times
Reputation: 10370

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'm sure the poster can cope.
It's important to remember that one size doesn't fit all when it comes to dieting.
Yeah, I agree with you. In fact I have mentioned that whatever works is an individual thing. If it works for you that's all that counts.

And we all agree that working out has many advantages beyond simply hitting the right weight.

And I know the member you referred to. Yeah I'm sure she'll cope. She's heavy and I don' t mean in a physical sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2018, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,789 posts, read 10,211,031 times
Reputation: 14322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
That's all very well but every single one of your posts is about you,you,you and how fantastic you are.There's hardly a sentence that doesn't begin with I.
I'm trying to help people who might not be able to lose weight the way you did and for many people reducing the amount of carbs they consume is a very beneficial and easy way of doing it.
There's also so much medical evidence to back this up that even someone as magnificently glorious as you could spare a moment in your wonderful life to read it.
Note,I am no saying remove carbs from your diet but reduce them to a reasonable level as for most people it is carbs that put on the fat.
And I have also helped people on this forum. I've had people DM me personally and I help people in real life. People who know me and what I've been through know the deal. There are lots of people who are just like me and who have lost weight while not eliminating anything. Most of the major diet plans do not advocate cutting entire food groups.
And yes, I talk about myself and why shouldn't I? (oops used I again, oh noes!) Considering I talk the talk AND walk the walk, again why shouldn't I?

When you started this topic it wasn't particularly "helpful" to people who are overweight. And I disagreed with several of your assertions. So of course I should use "I". Who else should I use again?

I can scour the internet too for medical evidence that shows that you can eat carbs in a healthy diet but I'm not inclined. Feel free to Google. And I used myself as an example because I can. I was fat and forty. Through a reduction in overall calories, I became fit and 42. Ooops I used I again

Most people put on fat because they don't burn what they consume and eat far too much. OF EVERYTHING. Capiche? And you never stated "reduce to a reasonable level". In fact, the first post I responded to from you stated

"The thing about heavy carbs like bread,pasta and rice is that they're cheap ways of filling a stomach - be it an American or an Asian one.
If you eliminate these starches from your diet in an attempt to lose weight then in a relatively short period of time your stomach requires less food to fill it and hence it sends signals to your brain to eat less"

"Eliminate" is the same as reduce? And what is a "reasonable level"? For me reasonable is 150-200g. Actually what made me lose weight was reducing my total caloric intake and increasing my energy output.

And let's get this straight. My life is great not because of weight loss. My life was great when I was fat. My family and friends are what make my life great. After that, from a health standpoint, yes, losing weight has been damn good. My health markers have improved across the board. I am out of the realm of worrying about diabetes and other maladies. I managed to pick up two conditions due to obesity, but they're managed and I have no doubt that if I continue as I have I'll have a fighting chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2018, 02:34 PM
 
3,727 posts, read 2,028,447 times
Reputation: 5322
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And I have also helped people on this forum. I've had people DM me personally and I help people in real life. People who know me and what I've been through know the deal. There are lots of people who are just like me and who have lost weight while not eliminating anything. Most of the major diet plans do not advocate cutting entire food groups.
And yes, I talk about myself and why shouldn't I? (oops used I again, oh noes!) Considering I talk the talk AND walk the walk, again why shouldn't I?

When you started this topic it wasn't particularly "helpful" to people who are overweight. And I disagreed with several of your assertions. So of course I should use "I". Who else should I use again?

I can scour the internet too for medical evidence that shows that you can eat carbs in a healthy diet but I'm not inclined. Feel free to Google. And I used myself as an example because I can. I was fat and forty. Through a reduction in overall calories, I became fit and 42. Ooops I used I again

Most people put on fat because they don't burn what they consume and eat far too much. OF EVERYTHING. Capiche? And you never stated "reduce to a reasonable level". In fact, the first post I responded to from you stated

"The thing about heavy carbs like bread,pasta and rice is that they're cheap ways of filling a stomach - be it an American or an Asian one.
If you eliminate these starches from your diet in an attempt to lose weight then in a relatively short period of time your stomach requires less food to fill it and hence it sends signals to your brain to eat less"

"Eliminate" is the same as reduce? And what is a "reasonable level"? For me reasonable is 150-200g. Actually what made me lose weight was reducing my total caloric intake and increasing my energy output.

And let's get this straight. My life is great not because of weight loss. My life was great when I was fat. My family and friends are what make my life great. After that, from a health standpoint, yes, losing weight has been damn good. My health markers have improved across the board. I am out of the realm of worrying about diabetes and other maladies. I managed to pick up two conditions due to obesity, but they're managed and I have no doubt that if I continue as I have I'll have a fighting chance.
Yes,you can eliminate those carbs completely in the first week or so of a change in eating regime.The stomach becomes used to not being so full and as the days progress you should require less physical food in your body.
It's the sort of diet that surgeons recommend as a quick way of losing weight.
To what extent you reintroduce them into your eating is entirely up to you.
Personally when I need to lose a few pounds I cut out bread,pasta,rice,root vegetables and beer completely and eat as much lean protein and salad as I want.Combined with hard exercise I can drop 20lbs in a month without any bother.
I NEVER feel hungry and when I re-introduce those things into my eating regime I find I require less of them to feel full.
You see - we can all bring our I to the table when we're talking about losing weight.
You're not the only one to have done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2018, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,789 posts, read 10,211,031 times
Reputation: 14322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Yes,you can eliminate those carbs completely in the first week or so of a change in eating regime.The stomach becomes used to not being so full and as the days progress you should require less physical food in your body.
It's the sort of diet that surgeons recommend as a quick way of losing weight.
To what extent you reintroduce them into your eating is entirely up to you.
Personally when I need to lose a few pounds I cut out bread,pasta,rice,root vegetables and beer completely and eat as much lean protein and salad as I want.Combined with hard exercise I can drop 20lbs in a month without any bother.
I NEVER feel hungry and when I re-introduce those things into my eating regime I find I require less of them to feel full.
You see - we can all bring our I to the table when we're talking about losing weight.
You're not the only one to have done it.
go ahead and bring your "I" to the table. weight loss is a personal thing. No one is stopping you

also of course I'm not the only one.

my stomach got used to being less full not from carb reduction but from tapering off food intake. I eat 1550-1600 calories most days and I feel pretty full at that point. I'm supposed to eat 2100 actually.

Also, as someone who was fat, i needed a permanent solution, not "lose weight quick". Eating what you've described is not something I could see myself doing for the rest of my life regardless of how much I lost. I'd rather lose "only" 5-10 a month if it meant that I enjoyed lots of different foods and ate under a variety of situations. And there are many folks out there just like me as well.

I believe in behavior modification, increased exercise, and decreased food intake (while eating from a variety of food groups and under a variety of situations) as dieting cornerstones. And the medical establishment would agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2018, 04:05 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,333,350 times
Reputation: 10370
I think the most correct thing to do is to limit consumption of the food groups that contribute most to your being overweight. For me those are carbs. I just eat less of them, and some days I eat only trace amounts.

Lose "only" 5-10 pounds a month? Um, waiter, I'll have what she's having!

I'm headed for the gym (finally) and then out to dinner with my buddy, our favorite restaurant serves $5 off Tuesday hamburger night, and fries included. I don't have to eat them all. I'll eat however many I wish. And wine with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2018, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,789 posts, read 10,211,031 times
Reputation: 14322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm headed for the gym (finally) and then out to dinner with my buddy, our favorite restaurant serves $5 off Tuesday hamburger night, and fries included. I don't have to eat them all. I'll eat however many I wish. And wine with that!
enjoy!

get that exercise high! btw im a member of LA Fitness too! Used to be a member at a small neighborhood gym and now go there. It's like upgrading from a yugo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2018, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,743 posts, read 20,026,274 times
Reputation: 45841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think the most correct thing to do is to limit consumption of the food groups that contribute most to your being overweight. For me those are carbs. I just eat less of them, and some days I eat only trace amounts.

Lose "only" 5-10 pounds a month? Um, waiter, I'll have what she's having!

I'm headed for the gym (finally) and then out to dinner with my buddy, our favorite restaurant serves $5 off Tuesday hamburger night, and fries included. I don't have to eat them all. I'll eat however many I wish. And wine with that!
I think that is a key point.

If I'm over weight and eating bacon and burgers all the time, going vegetarian may help, if you are eating cookies, crackers and cake, carb free may help.

I eat carbs, but in moderation due to blood sugar issues. But I eat sprouted bread, home made oat cakes (made with almond and coconut flour substitutions), lots of beans/legumes, farro, bulgur and stuff like that.

I've always had an affinity for vegetarian type food, just as a preference, ever since I was a kid.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2018, 06:01 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,333,350 times
Reputation: 10370
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
enjoy!

get that exercise high! btw im a member of LA Fitness too! Used to be a member at a small neighborhood gym and now go there. It's like upgrading from a yugo.
Thanks! I'm just back from my workout, hit a new monthly low. This may sound silly, but my new low is one pound higher than when I bought the Weight Gurus WiFi scale. My graph is a hump wit me being sick in the middle. At this rate I will be below the initial calibration and into negative territory by the weekend. Finally. Current reading is 24.1% fat. It was 24.5% this morning. We all know that after workout weight or anything loss is fake, but you keep pushing down that lowest number each day and it gets lower and lower over time.

And my high lasts at least a full 24 hours. Actually I'm a bit too tired to be high ATM but when I meet my buddy at the restaurant I'll be good!

I guess I'll quit turning this into a stroking topic. Lesson learned people! Work out if you want one essential half of your health program to be in place. It's like taking some horrible drug but you feel so high when you're done. — Actually I was kidding. I was rockin' to my tunes and checkin' people out the whole time, and even this young woman and I keep meeting eyes since our machines were facing. She was easily 20 years too young for me, but I occasionally smiled at her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 12:42 AM
 
5 posts, read 2,118 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think that is a key point.

If I'm over weight and eating bacon and burgers all the time, going vegetarian may help, if you are eating cookies, crackers and cake, carb free may help.

I have been a daily meat eater all my life. I used to hate veggies and think they were typically people on some save the planet and save all the animals tip. I ended up trying to be a veggie anyway about 2 years ago. Let me tell you that after the first 3 months the desire for meat goes. The meat you eat can be full of hormones. I used to eat chicken a lot until I started to develop mail breasts and this is why I stopped with red and white meat altogether.



I am new to this forum and the subject of this thread made me giggle a little...sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,789 posts, read 10,211,031 times
Reputation: 14322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Thanks! I'm just back from my workout, hit a new monthly low. This may sound silly, but my new low is one pound higher than when I bought the Weight Gurus WiFi scale. My graph is a hump wit me being sick in the middle. At this rate I will be below the initial calibration and into negative territory by the weekend. Finally. Current reading is 24.1% fat. It was 24.5% this morning. We all know that after workout weight or anything loss is fake, but you keep pushing down that lowest number each day and it gets lower and lower over time.

And my high lasts at least a full 24 hours. Actually I'm a bit too tired to be high ATM but when I meet my buddy at the restaurant I'll be good!

I guess I'll quit turning this into a stroking topic. Lesson learned people! Work out if you want one essential half of your health program to be in place. It's like taking some horrible drug but you feel so high when you're done. — Actually I was kidding. I was rockin' to my tunes and checkin' people out the whole time, and even this young woman and I keep meeting eyes since our machines were facing. She was easily 20 years too young for me, but I occasionally smiled at her.
I like your attitude. you're probably cool in real life too!

Exercise - it's a beep when you start but you feel so much better afterwards. Exercise really helped because I felt better about myself. Unlike the stupid scale, you can see improved fitness relatively quickly. Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top