U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 AM

44,179 posts, read 35,738,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Congratulations,you've obviously found an eating regime the suits you.
What I was suggesting is that for many people to lose weight reducing the most calorific things like carbs,dairy and alcohol and replacing them with more of the less calorific things like salad,veggies and lean protein is a good way to start.
I happen to like brocolli and chicken - having them baked with garlic,herbs and a sprinkling of freshly-grated parmesan is a delight.
And I too like chicken oyster thighs with the skin removed,covered in a hot sauce and baked - a really healthy alternative to deep-fried wings.
Amen and yum. I love lean protein sources such as fish and chicken. I love fresh herbs and fresh produce in general. It's just not hard or sacrificial to me to eat more of these healthy choices. I rarely eat red meat and never eat wheat products.

I ate well within a low calorie range yesterday but ate a hamburger steak and a small serving of beans at lunch yesterday and gained a pound. I'm sure I'll lose it today but that's just an example of what that sort of thing does to me - EVERY SINGLE TIME. In fact, I knew when I chose to eat those beans that it was a choice to gain a bit of weight. But at least it was an informed choice and I was OK with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Nothing is a problem in moderation.
What I'm talking about is people wishing to kick-start a healthy eating regime to lose weight reasonably quickly.
It's basically low carb,no sugar,no booze.
Lots of fruit,vegetables,lean protein.
Once you've achieved your weight goal there's no reason why you can incorporate anything in your daily intake provided it's reasonable.
Remember the motto - everything in moderation including moderation.
I would add a caveat - I would say to introduce other foods such as carbs, sugars, alcohol, dairy, eggs, etc. one food at a time - like one food a week - and watch to see if you have a poor reaction to them. If so, wait and try again a week later. If you still gain weight, bloat up, have gastointestinal issues or other drama, then consider eliminating those foods from your diet. Or at least know that if you occasionally have them, you're in for a bit of a setback.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I graze on salty snacks and sip wine before dinner. In dietary terms that's a total abomination!

As I said above, peoples' systems differ. No one thing works for everybody. I just know I'll be in the normal BMI range before end of summer, and my body will look good. And I'm a senior citizen. When I tell people my actual age, they believe me but they are always surprised. I sometimes play with people and ask them to ask my age. The answer is always younger than I really am.

And unless I get run over by the 'Hound I'm going to live longer than most people. When I reach 100 I'm going to insist on 100 candles, and I'm going to blow them all out with one breath.
Amen to this. Good grief, people - it's one thing to share what works for YOU - it's altogether another thing to believe that it will work for everyone else. Different bodies, different reactions, different outcomes. Why is that so hard for some people to accept?

Be open minded, adventurous, brave, and honest. Try different combinations of healthy living and eating and you WILL find a combination that works for you. Just don't assume that it will work for everyone. I mean, BASICS such as be more active, work out regularly, drink more water, cut out refined foods as much as possible, eat more healthy produce and lean proteins - those are basics that are the start of a healthy diet and lifestyle plan for everyone - but after that, people often need to tweak that plan and be open to eliminating some foods that are problematic to some people - a significant number or ratio of people, I might add. So be open to the idea at least.

I counted calories and ate healthily for decades - and I could always lose 8 pounds on ANY plan. But after that I'd stall. I've had health setbacks twice in my life and gained about 30 pounds both times. I was only able to lose that weight and keep it off by eliminating gluten and most refined sugars and upping my water intake. Period. Weight Watchers, counting calories or points, Atkins diet, SlimFast, South Beach diet - nope, nothing worked for me UNLESS I cut out all wheat products - all of them - and significantly cut back on all grains, as well as red meat and even natural fats (notice I didn't say I had to eliminate those but I had to really cut back on them).

I mean, I'm sure I'd lose weight if I was in a concentration camp or something awful like that, eating 500 calories a day, but please, I live a comfortable life in the real world, in a first world country, so let's be realistic!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:33 AM

10,689 posts, read 10,083,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen and yum. I love lean protein sources such as fish and chicken. I love fresh herbs and fresh produce in general. It's just not hard or sacrificial to me to eat more of these healthy choices. I rarely eat red meat and never eat wheat products.

I ate well within a low calorie range yesterday but ate a hamburger steak and a small serving of beans at lunch yesterday and gained a pound. I'm sure I'll lose it today but that's just an example of what that sort of thing does to me - EVERY SINGLE TIME. In fact, I knew when I chose to eat those beans that it was a choice to gain a bit of weight. But at least it was an informed choice and I was OK with that.
I eat plenty of chicken. And other things too. Red meat can be healthy in moderation too. I eat probably 12 oz of red meat weekly. It's rich in iron, more than other domesticated livestock meats. Plus beef simply tastes delicious. I just don't see myself eating "lean protein" much of the time.

Interesting that you gained a pound on a small serving of beans. I eat 1/4 cup of beans daily with my rice (I'm of partial Latin descent so..). I guess it's the fiber? It'll be gone. I guess I don't consider weight to be a gain if I lose it days later. I stick to "ranges". As long as I'm below 160, then I'm fine as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Plus, she has never said NOT to do anything if it works for the individual, just pointed out that it is not necessary if you do not wish.
That's not even true though. Some people ARE more sensitive than others to various foods, and will not lose weight effectively or as easily (or at all) if they keep certain foods in their diet plans.

I didn't originally WANT to give up wheat products, but I had to in order to lose weight. Which I have done and continue to do (31 pounds and counting since February). Most importantly, I've lost 65 inches which is more significant to me than the pounds lost - and most of that has been in my core body. I am no longer bloated, for one thing.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think that is a key point.

If I'm over weight and eating bacon and burgers all the time, going vegetarian may help, if you are eating cookies, crackers and cake, carb free may help.

I eat carbs, but in moderation due to blood sugar issues. But I eat sprouted bread, home made oat cakes (made with almond and coconut flour substitutions), lots of beans/legumes, farro, bulgur and stuff like that.

I've always had an affinity for vegetarian type food, just as a preference, ever since I was a kid.
You and Lovehound hit the nail on the head. We have to find and do what works for us personally. We can share our stories but I always stop at saying "That won't work!" to a healthy plan (even though it may differ from MY healthy plan) because I am pretty sure that ALL healthy plans will work with someone somewhere. I just like to see people making more healthy choices.

My husband and I eat differently and yet he lost over 20 pounds at the same time I lost over 30 pounds - all the while eating breads, more red meat, etc. But his healthier choices resulted in weight loss for HIM. My plan works for ME. I know this man - he will never eat yogurt for breakfast - LOL. OK. I will never eat red meat three times a week either.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:44 AM

10,689 posts, read 10,083,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to this. Good grief, people - it's one thing to share what works for YOU - it's altogether another thing to believe that it will work for everyone else. Different bodies, different reactions, different outcomes. Why is that so hard for some people to accept?

Be open minded, adventurous, brave, and honest. Try different combinations of healthy living and eating and you WILL find a combination that works for you. Just don't assume that it will work for everyone. I mean, BASICS such as be more active, work out regularly, drink more water, cut out refined foods as much as possible, eat more healthy produce and lean proteins - those are basics that are the start of a healthy diet and lifestyle plan for everyone - but after that, people often need to tweak that plan and be open to eliminating some foods that are problematic to some people - a significant number or ratio of people, I might add. So be open to the idea at least.

I counted calories and ate healthily for decades - and I could always lose 8 pounds on ANY plan. But after that I'd stall. I've had health setbacks twice in my life and gained about 30 pounds both times. I was only able to lose that weight and keep it off by eliminating gluten and most refined sugars and upping my water intake. Period. Weight Watchers, counting calories or points, Atkins diet, SlimFast, South Beach diet - nope, nothing worked for me UNLESS I cut out all wheat products - all of them - and significantly cut back on all grains, as well as red meat and even natural fats (notice I didn't say I had to eliminate those but I had to really cut back on them).

I mean, I'm sure I'd lose weight if I was in a concentration camp or something awful like that, eating 500 calories a day, but please, I live a comfortable life in the real world, in a first world country, so let's be realistic!
Let's be clear here. I never thought that the protocol that I follow will work for everyone. I just don't buy that eliminating carbs is a "basic" for weight loss and that carbs are bad and sabotage weight loss efforts. When people make blanket statements that may or may not be true for many, then yes, I will comment. It's one thing to share that you've reduced carbs to great success. It's another thing to tell people (or imply) that if they want to lose weight, they MUST do the same thing. I am not an anomaly, there are many people out there who eat carbohydrates daily and lose weight.

I share my thoughts because like I said, I talk the talk because I've walked the walk. I, too, know what it's like to have dieting frustration. I had a LOT of weight to lose and I wasn't just overweight, I was clinically obese. For me, attempting to cut out food groups left me feeling miserable, prone to binge eating, and spending way too much time thinking about food. I've encountered many people who are challenged trying to deny themselves a piece of cake. Instead, I focused my goal on learning to eat a variety of things within moderation.

Thankfully, in terms of calories, the lowest I had to go was 1450 (when I was 145 lbs) in order to lose (the premise being that thinner people need to eat even less).

Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I eat plenty of chicken. And other things too. Red meat can be healthy in moderation too. I eat probably 12 oz of red meat weekly. It's rich in iron, more than other domesticated livestock meats. Plus beef simply tastes delicious. I just don't see myself eating "lean protein" much of the time.

Interesting that you gained a pound on a small serving of beans. I eat 1/4 cup of beans daily with my rice (I'm of partial Latin descent so..). I guess it's the fiber? It'll be gone. I guess I don't consider weight to be a gain if I lose it days later. I stick to "ranges". As long as I'm below 160, then I'm fine as far as I'm concerned.
No way could I eat 3/4 a cup of rice AND add beans every day. I am from New Orleans and love me some red beans and rice but no way.

It will be gone though because 1) I will drink a ton of water today and 2) I won't eat either beans or rice for the rest of the week - every time I eat either one I know I'm in for a weight gain regardless of overall calories consumed.

Unlike you, I weigh every day - that's what works for me. It's easy to see how certain foods affect me immediately and I can tweak my food list. For instance, I found that adding eggs, as well as nut butters, potatoes, etc (not all at once - LOL) have zero negative (weight gain or digestive system) effect. Gluten, rice, beans, popcorn, avocado - all those make me gain weight. Maybe it's water weight, maybe it's fat - I don't know and don't care because what I DO know is that if I kept those in my regular weekly diet, I'd retain water, or fat, or be constipated, etc. every week and I don't want that so I don't eat them.

I know that many other people CAN eat them and that's great - I just know they don't work well for me. Not to say that I never eat them, because I do, but I know it comes at a price. Like I said, at least it's an informed decision that I make. And I know not to include them in my daily or weekly diet. They are a splurge, not a staple. As for gluten, it's effects are so immediate and so negative that I simply never eat it.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Let's be clear here. I never thought that the protocol that I follow will work for everyone. I just don't buy that eliminating carbs is a "basic" for weight loss and that carbs are bad and sabotage weight loss efforts. When people make blanket statements that may or may not be true for many, then yes, I will comment. It's one thing to share that you've reduced carbs to great success. It's another thing to tell people (or imply) that if they want to lose weight, they MUST do the same thing. I am not an anomaly, there are many people out there who eat carbohydrates daily and lose weight.

I share my thoughts because like I said, I talk the talk because I've walked the walk. I, too, know what it's like to have dieting frustration. I had a LOT of weight to lose and I wasn't just overweight, I was clinically obese. For me, attempting to cut out food groups left me feeling miserable, prone to binge eating, and spending way too much time thinking about food. I've encountered many people who are challenged trying to deny themselves a piece of cake. Instead, I focused my goal on learning to eat a variety of things within moderation.

Thankfully, in terms of calories, the lowest I had to go was 1450 (when I was 145 lbs) in order to lose (the premise being that thinner people need to eat even less).
When I was counting calories, I wouldn't lose at even 1200 calories a day as long as I kept problematic foods in my plan. I had to get to about 600 calories a day and of course, ANYONE will lose weight if they cut down that low, but it's not healthy.

Like you, I'm not saying that people HAVE to do any one or two particular things to lose weight. I think the difference is, I'm also not saying that cutting out or down on carbs is crazy, because THAT WORKS for a significant ratio of people. Counting calories works for some people. Not counting calories works for some people. For some people, my very healthy and trim daughter included, NOT weighing more than once a week works best. For others, like myself and my dad, weighing every morning at the same time works best.

It's great to share different paths to success. Though our paths differ, our results are very similar and I think that's fantastic. Let's all share our stories of how we successfully lost weight and got healthier without disparaging the methods of different successful people.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:12 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,165,436 times
Just a comment about scales. I mentioned food scales.

Weighing yourself daily is such a chore. Yet I really like the data. I have the Weight Gurus WiFi scale, and I get not only weight but also muscle %, fat %, and BMI. And it charts on a cell or tablet app. Just strip down and no socks.

It integrates with my Fitbit too.

Not just this brand, any brand that does that will do. You don't have to look at the data daily. Just weigh daily and look at it whenever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss