U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,313,412 times
Reputation: 10366

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen and amen (except for the one glass of red wine thing - I think there's enough evidence to show it's probably more good than bad for us). Anyway, like you, I'm in no rush. One reason is that I've seen older folks (and I'm 56) lose weight too fast and their skin doesn't snap back into place all that easily. So slow and steady wins the race for me.

...

One fun thing I did recently was go out and buy all new panties and bras. WOOHOO! And I bought pretty ones - not just "functional" ones.

So yes, we have to learn how to live - the life we want to live, within reason. I am patient - after all, it took me several years of trauma and stress to get where I was 4 months ago, and I'm 2/3s of the way to where I want to be - so...no rush. I'll have that glass of wine! And the creamer in my coffee too - life's too short to deprive myself of the little things I dearly love.
I just loved your entire post!

I am willing to admit I may be wrong about the red wine. In fact my wine rack currently has more red, so I think I'll have some Merlot or Chianti since I am having a steak tonight. Oh no, no fresh vegetables! Hey, tell me quick, French fries are a vegetable, right? Hmmm... Something tells me: not. I intend to do the "keto" thing tonight. I have some canned whole green chilis, I guess they'll do.

I had been thinking the same thing as you, that if I "deflate" too quickly my skin may loosen up and cause wrinkles. I too decided that I know I'm getting there and as long as I am making progress that's all that matters. Some day I will be there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2018, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,843 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Reputation: 63514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I just loved your entire post!

I am willing to admit I may be wrong about the red wine. In fact my wine rack currently has more red, so I think I'll have some Merlot or Chianti since I am having a steak tonight. Oh no, no fresh vegetables! Hey, tell me quick, French fries are a vegetable, right? Hmmm... Something tells me: not. I intend to do the "keto" thing tonight. I have some canned whole green chilis, I guess they'll do.

I had been thinking the same thing as you, that if I "deflate" too quickly my skin may loosen up and cause wrinkles. I too decided that I know I'm getting there and as long as I am making progress that's all that matters. Some day I will be there!
Yes, we will!

I had snow crab legs - yes, with some butter but not a lot - for lunch. along with broccoli and asparagus and a green salad. So for supper I'm having a chicken salad (over baby bib lettuce) with mango sauce. YUM.

And a glass of red wine, because I don't care whether I'm supposed to drink a certain color with certain meats - LOL! I mean, if I was serving guests I'd be all over it but on my own...nyahhhh! Besides that, that's all I've got in the house so there you have it.

I basically stick with red wine not because it's so good for me (all things in moderation and all that jive) but because I tend to suck up any white wine like it was KoolAid and then I'm drunk before I know it, which is not my goal or intention but I just don't think about it when I'm drinking it. A dry red wine forces me to sip it slowly. I would be a wino for sure if I didn't watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2018, 07:18 PM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,313,412 times
Reputation: 10366
I had a couple glasses of Les Portes de Bordeaux and a filet Mignon for dinner. No fries with that.

I had a chat with my lady instead, planning our next date, and that made me wish all the more to not carb it up.

I've never had that "red with meat, white with chicken or fish" thing, but I do have the problem that my wine rack is getting slim on white and there is plenty of red, and they say meat goes well with red. I do prefer Chianti with meatballs and tomato sauce over spaghetti.

Actually red wine with lightly cooked fish is sort of yuck. The heavy red wine kills the taste of the delicate fish. Mmm... Sand dabs anybody?

You know you're right about white wine glasses seem to empty faster than red wine glasses. Somehow white (Chardonnay) is more sippy. I never thought of that before, but in fact I probably had 2 whole glasses of Bordeaux tonight, and even after dinner still not through the second glass.

... All things in moderation... Um, does that include sex between two people who are into each other exclusively and both of them are physical fitness enthusiasts? I'm just asking... Provocatively...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2018, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,069 posts, read 16,090,068 times
Reputation: 12647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
While your observation is valid vis a vis nutrition in America today, there is a deeper reason I think. One that motivates people to eat this way.

For many, many people food represents the only thing that makes them feel good in their life. Perhaps they are financially stressed, or they are in a bad relationship or NO relationship and very lonely. Maybe they hate their job or their life in general. There is no mystery that much of the "opioid crisis" is about trying to escape an unhappy reality. My opinion is that FOOD is may people's drug of choice. Think about it in your own life. Food soothes, it makes you feel comfortable and joyful and above-all else LOVED.

I think that if we lived in a world that was a little kinder, a little less cruel, that there would be a lot fewer fat people.
Certainly some of that. Been there, done that. Breaking up from a long-term relationship, my father's death, being laid off twice six months. Eventually I just decided to stop self-destructing. Cut alcohol almost completely out, ate better, got back on the bicycle and did a lot of hiking in between temp jobs, started going to the gym again, did more volunteer work at an animal shelter.

There's healthier outlets than food that will actually make you happier than just eating yourself to obesity. It's fun while you're doing it but being obese sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Status: "Brexit bound" (set 27 days ago)
 
3,710 posts, read 2,021,354 times
Reputation: 5310
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
While your observation is valid vis a vis nutrition in America today, there is a deeper reason I think. One that motivates people to eat this way.

For many, many people food represents the only thing that makes them feel good in their life. Perhaps they are financially stressed, or they are in a bad relationship or NO relationship and very lonely. Maybe they hate their job or their life in general. There is no mystery that much of the "opioid crisis" is about trying to escape an unhappy reality. My opinion is that FOOD is may people's drug of choice. Think about it in your own life. Food soothes, it makes you feel comfortable and joyful and above-all else LOVED.

I think that if we lived in a world that was a little kinder, a little less cruel, that there would be a lot fewer fat people.
I take your point but there is also widespread obesity among people who are not unhappy and are in decent relationship/jobs etc.
There's also widespread obesity among children who have no reason to be unhappy.
Sadly for every excuse someone has for over-eating the real reasons are greed,laziness and the ready availability of cheap,crap food.
A kinder,gentler world is just another way of saying don't make people feel guilty for being fat which is a fine and dandy theory but in practice means fat people just get even fatter.
And the same expressions of sympathy are rarely extended to alcoholics,drug addicts and people who smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Wine Country
5,361 posts, read 6,447,576 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I had a couple glasses of Les Portes de Bordeaux and a filet Mignon for dinner. No fries with that.

I had a chat with my lady instead, planning our next date, and that made me wish all the more to not carb it up.

I've never had that "red with meat, white with chicken or fish" thing, but I do have the problem that my wine rack is getting slim on white and there is plenty of red, and they say meat goes well with red. I do prefer Chianti with meatballs and tomato sauce over spaghetti.

Actually red wine with lightly cooked fish is sort of yuck. The heavy red wine kills the taste of the delicate fish. Mmm... Sand dabs anybody?

You know you're right about white wine glasses seem to empty faster than red wine glasses. Somehow white (Chardonnay) is more sippy. I never thought of that before, but in fact I probably had 2 whole glasses of Bordeaux tonight, and even after dinner still not through the second glass.

... All things in moderation... Um, does that include sex between two people who are into each other exclusively and both of them are physical fitness enthusiasts? I'm just asking... Provocatively...
Try some Pinot Noir. It goes with just about everything. Opt for Californian Pinot as opposed to French or even Oregon. It is a mid to light body red that is very versatile. I dont know what your wine budget is, but plan on spending more than what you would spend on another red. Inexpensive Pinot is awful.

White wine does go down faster thats for sure. Especially in hot weather. We call Sauvignon Blanc the porch pounder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,782 posts, read 10,195,889 times
Reputation: 14312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
While your observation is valid vis a vis nutrition in America today, there is a deeper reason I think. One that motivates people to eat this way.

For many, many people food represents the only thing that makes them feel good in their life. Perhaps they are financially stressed, or they are in a bad relationship or NO relationship and very lonely. Maybe they hate their job or their life in general. There is no mystery that much of the "opioid crisis" is about trying to escape an unhappy reality. My opinion is that FOOD is may people's drug of choice. Think about it in your own life. Food soothes, it makes you feel comfortable and joyful and above-all else LOVED.

I think that if we lived in a world that was a little kinder, a little less cruel, that there would be a lot fewer fat people.
This post made me think, thank you.

I freely admit that food does make me feel good. Stress eating was a big hurdle for me and even now I am not out of the park and always fight it. When I used to have stressful days at work (I like my job, but I work in the legal field and that is inherently stressful) the first thing I'd turn to was the most sugar or fat laden food that I could find. And I didn't just eat a little of it, I binged. Even now, I love food and eating, but as much as I love it I don't love the health problems that come along with obesity. Plus, at my age, I can't afford to just overeat with impunity.

I've found that replacing food with something else that gives me joy works. Spending even more time with my family instead of being alone with food works. Keeping busy also cuts down on the mindless eating as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,782 posts, read 10,195,889 times
Reputation: 14312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Along the way my frequent workouts are giving me increasing muscle definition (I'm sure my lady will like that), my waist is within 2" of my old standard (and a dozen pairs of jeans hanging in my closet, unworn, some of them never worn), and I expect by end of summer I'll be buff and swaggering!
I started having muscle definition within two weeks of working out, before the scale ever moved. That's why I am so pro-exercise because you see results quickly. I feel like the effort I put in is worth it, either in the form of more definition or increased stamina. Let's not talk about how your confidence increases when you work out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 10:36 AM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,313,412 times
Reputation: 10366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Try some Pinot Noir. It goes with just about everything. Opt for Californian Pinot as opposed to French or even Oregon. It is a mid to light body red that is very versatile. I dont know what your wine budget is, but plan on spending more than what you would spend on another red. Inexpensive Pinot is awful.

White wine does go down faster thats for sure. Especially in hot weather. We call Sauvignon Blanc the porch pounder.
Your post is so funny! Porch pounder! I have some Pinot Noir right in my wine rack, right now! I'll have it one day soon!

You're right about my Chardonnay. Somehow red wine gets me into sipping mode, sort of swirl the glass and appreciate the aroma. My Chardonnay glass must have a hole in the bottom. It keeps leaking out but I can't find any moisture on the table!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 10:48 AM
 
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,313,412 times
Reputation: 10366
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I started having muscle definition within two weeks of working out, before the scale ever moved. That's why I am so pro-exercise because you see results quickly. I feel like the effort I put in is worth it, either in the form of more definition or increased stamina. Let's not talk about how your confidence increases when you work out...
As always people differ. However I can see my upper arms bulging more than a month ago, my chopped sleeve t-shirts showing off my larger shoulders. My main problem is MPD. (Male pregnancy disorder.) Also called Dunlop's Disease. (Your belly done lops over your belt!)

Re: the discussion you and OP, you're both right. Some people self-medicate other life problems by seeking fulfillment in food. Some people get fat just for no good reason I can see except laziness, gluttony, or simply "I don't care."

I find that some (many!) people just don't care staggers me, but that's why people like us are interested in physical fitness, and they are not!

At least we all realize that maintaining our health and physical fitness and making good lifestyle choices (no tobacco, moderate liquor use) will statistically reward people like us (on the average) with longer, more healthy, more active lives, and we are likely to live longer.

I get to enjoy good food, good liquor (in moderation), good health, feelings of full of energy and swagger after my workouts, and an expectation of a longer active life. I haven't given up anything at all except gluttony.

Oh, and the way I see it only fat people want to date fat people, except for chubby chasers. (Is there a DSM V for that?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top