U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 02:09 PM

10,790 posts, read 10,220,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
As always people differ. However I can see my upper arms bulging more than a month ago, my chopped sleeve t-shirts showing off my larger shoulders. My main problem is MPD. (Male pregnancy disorder.) Also called Dunlop's Disease. (Your belly done lops over your belt!)

Re: the discussion you and OP, you're both right. Some people self-medicate other life problems by seeking fulfillment in food. Some people get fat just for no good reason I can see except laziness, gluttony, or simply "I don't care."

I find that some (many!) people just don't care staggers me, but that's why people like us are interested in physical fitness, and they are not!

At least we all realize that maintaining our health and physical fitness and making good lifestyle choices (no tobacco, moderate liquor use) will statistically reward people like us (on the average) with longer, more healthy, more active lives, and we are likely to live longer.

I get to enjoy good food, good liquor (in moderation), good health, feelings of full of energy and swagger after my workouts, and an expectation of a longer active life. I haven't given up anything at all except gluttony.

Oh, and the way I see it only fat people want to date fat people, except for chubby chasers. (Is there a DSM V for that?)
Alas, I was one of those fat people that just didn't care, really. I mean, at first I cared, but after getting to be so overweight and going through failed dieting attempts you start to not care any longer. I wasn't depressed. On the contrary, I had (and still do) a good life. I had my wonderful husband and two sweet children. Work was stressful but I still enjoyed it. I had a lot to be thankful for and make me content, so I didn't focus on weight or myself for that matter. I liked eating whatever I wanted, when I wanted, and not having to care about calories. Of course I didn't work out either and barely could keep up with my youngest daughter. Truth is, when I married my husband, we were both thinner. I was a size 6. He stood by me and desired me when I was both a 6 and a 16. That showed me that the attraction was more than just a number. (then again, carrying his children helped pack on those pounds haha).

So yeah, I was a happy fat person. However, the resultant health problems were my epiphany. It's all fine and dandy when you're younger, but carrying extra weight into your middle age isn't a good thing. I have HBP and OA and that's all I want to deal with at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 02:14 PM

238 posts, read 127,500 times
People are getting fatter in other countries too. Fact. I visited my home country after 15 years of living in the US, and I was quite shocked to see a lot of fat people there now. It wasn't the case when i left 15 years ago. It is a country in Asia.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:34 AM

3,730 posts, read 2,032,226 times
Hit my goal today having shifted an excess 30lbs I'd put on in the last few years after a knee injury prevented me from my daily jog.
Basically an apple and caffeine-free black coffee for breakfast,home-made chicken and vegetable broth for lunch and a huge green salad with some lean protein for dinner every weekday and a relaxation of two slices of toast for breakfast at the weekend.
No alcohol,sugar,bread(other than the treat),pasta,rice,dairy products,red meat,non-citrus fruit.
Four bottles of sparkling San Pellegrino every day.
And an hour every day on the treadmill at the fastest walk I could manage up a fairly steep incline.
I fell off the wagon once when my sons came home unexpectedly and we went out and got drunk together but that was it.
I'm 63 and feel great with normal BP and cholesterol levels.
To anyone struggling out there you really can do it if your try.Stay organised,be strong and get in the zone.It can be done.
Good luck.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 AM

323 posts, read 219,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Lack of understanding of what is going on in the food,drug and agricultural industries is the main suspect here. They label thing as 1 serving when the container actually has 4 servings. The salt and sugar content in packaged foods have increased three fold to the unsuspecting buyer. A chiropractor I go to has a display of how much sugar was eaten 100 years ago in a YEAR (about 5#) while today we eat about a pound a WEEK now in comparison.

The GMO foods and chemically coated foods lack the nutrients compared to food we had 60-70 years ago. Food used to spoil then but now food last for weeks. Their gut can't process this high tech foods so people are malnourished but overweight because they are still hungry. Our system has soooo many chemical in them that our stomach can't digest and absorb properly nor prevent illness. FYI, did you know that when thye first introduced GMO food in the 90s that childhood illnesses increased 300%??? I didn't know that until someone told me that statistics.

I right now have thyroid problem due to lack of iodine and lack taurine amino acid. Both are needed to metabolize fat. WHAT THE...no doctor told me this... but most don't know ANYTHING about nutrition; my fault for thinking they did!! Most med schools are grounded in teaching directed by pharm, who benefit from people being sick, fat and almost dead (but don't want you dead because you won't need med at that point!) Grass fed meats and organically grown is key but most find it out of their price range so they shop Walmart.

Let's not forget the good old food pyramid that stated the major food group was carbs; potatoes, cereals, breads, pasta etc. They never told us all those carbs convert to sugar and any excess sugar is stored as fat!! Hard to change that concept we all had been brainwashed with for decades..huh?

Yes, we have a generation of people who don't know how to cook but my mother used to say "If you can read, you can cook." Most people don't know how to cook, clean, sew, wash dishes, wash clothes correctly, plant, save money, critically think, reason, do an interview, show respect to others.......shall I go on???

This is the fault of the previous generations not MAKING them learn these things. And with every two decades of "new" parenting going on, the generation are getting dumber and fatter. A re-education of this generation is needed and that my friends takes TIME from people who CARE to dispel the LIES we have been told.
Personally, I wish you WOULD go on. Somebody needs to.........You are SO right.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:52 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,347,334 times
Congratulations Roscoe!

Old 06-20-2018, 06:13 AM

3,730 posts, read 2,032,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Congratulations Roscoe!
Thank you.
I just hope it offers some encouragement to people on here trying to lose weight.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:22 AM

3,927 posts, read 2,763,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Hit my goal today having shifted an excess 30lbs I'd put on in the last few years after a knee injury prevented me from my daily jog.

I'm 63 and feel great with normal BP and cholesterol levels.
To anyone struggling out there you really can do it if your try.Stay organised,be strong and get in the zone.It can be done.
Good luck.
Hooray, way to go!!

Old 06-25-2018, 10:40 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,879,241 times
I thought of this thread when I read the current flyer from my local (big) chain pharmacy.

Remember the good ol days when the pharmacy was the place to go to get drugs and nostrums to (supposedly) and (hopefully) make you well? And the pharmacist was your kindly advisor?

This week's flyer was featuring this week's specials, big and bold on the center of the front page, with the word "Celebrate" as the headline:

-M & M candy
-Ben & Jerry Ice Cream
-Gatorade
-Coke
-Pepsi
-Dr. Pepper
-Lay's Potato Chips -- two varieties
-Bottled Water

Celebrate what? Obesity?? Your future need for more meds to treat your high blood pressure, diabetes and acid reflux??

Grrrr. Strange world we live in. A constant struggle to be healthy and resist all the crap food and drinks..

Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 AM

16,142 posts, read 12,892,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I started having muscle definition within two weeks of working out, before the scale ever moved. That's why I am so pro-exercise because you see results quickly. I feel like the effort I put in is worth it, either in the form of more definition or increased stamina. Let's not talk about how your confidence increases when you work out...
Everyone is different. I work out A LOT and you can barely see it. I don't really get much stronger. It took me years of lifting to reach a visible result. Some people develop muscles fast. Other's don't.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:08 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,347,334 times
I was thinking about Eve's post above, and I (a man) feel much the same, that I keep working out and I notice a little increase in muscle mass, but no big increases. (Although I feel amazing!)

But then I looked more closely at my arms. I twisted my arm and looked at my skin between elbow and wrist. Like many seniors I had began developing flabby lines or loose, wrinkled skin. There's probably a term... Anyway as I twisted my arm and looked at my skin, the effect is almost totally gone!

I have been doing a fair amount of upper body exercises that would/should bulk out my arms, and upper chest/back. It's not like I'm showing bulging muscles, but it's clear I've added enough muscle tissue in my arms to bulk out and stretch my skin enough that the wrinkles are being pulled out and my skin is now tighter.

My point is that muscle mass gain may be there but maybe just not noticeable in a major way. I do have a feeling of wellness and energy that always increases during weeks that I visit my gym more frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss