U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 AM

31,337 posts, read 19,764,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
But, but, but, its the CARBS!

In all seriousness I agree that we are a country that overeats. We want big portions of everything. That and a sedentary lifestyle is why our obesity rate is through the roof.
HUGE portions, and a lot of shelf space at the supermarket dedicated to stuff we shouldn't be eating (cookies, cakes, crackers, etc.).

Even at home I prepare my meals on smaller plates, and use ramekins for things like lunch. It's amazing how little food you need to fill up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:07 AM

3,866 posts, read 2,716,351 times
It just amuses me how so many posters insist "we" or "the US" eats way too much, huge portions, supersize, etc.

Yet, the person who posts that never overate like that. I only know a couple of people who eat like that. It's such a generalization that I just don't believe is true for most people.

I've seen way too many people just change what they ate, not the volume of food, and their bodies and health have been transformed for the better.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:17 AM

3,506 posts, read 2,354,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
It just amuses me how so many posters insist "we" or "the US" eats way too much, huge portions, supersize, etc.

Yet, the person who posts that never overate like that. I only know a couple of people who eat like that. It's such a generalization that I just don't believe is true for most people.

I've seen way too many people just change what they ate, not the volume of food, and their bodies and health have been transformed for the better.
I think this perception comes from eating out. Most people that go to restaurants want to get there money's worth and expect a healthy portion and many eat the whole portion on a regular basis. If you eat in and cook for yourself this doesn't apply at least not for me. I cook most of my meals and eat till I'm full which is not a lot. I put the rest away and have it later. I also many times prefer to eat several small courses instead of one huge meal. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had one huge meal. Even on events Thanksgiving, I don't do this. Couple this with the wrong foods and yes obesity will be and is a problem.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 AM

34,958 posts, read 31,977,547 times
People absolutely over eat. If we eat out I almost always bring left overs home but the number of people that eat a GIANT meal for dinner is astounding.

A calorie is a calorie it doesn't matter where it comes from. We did a term paper in College that showed someone 30 years old that was 100 lbs over weight had to eat an additional 2000 calories a day for something like 10 years to get that obese. Crazy.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:23 AM

80 posts, read 31,663 times
Quote:

Yep, cut out the sweets and the grease, throw in 30 minutes on the treadmill everyday, and you should be on your way to fitness. Eat lean meats like chicken and fish (baked or grilled), fresh or frozen vegetables, and whole grain carbs for every meal. Cut out the sodas completely. It won't happen overnight, but in a few months you should notice significant improvement if you are strict. Do not consider this a diet. It is a permanent change in eating habits.

How do I know this works? It's because I did it myself. I'm now lean and muscular, not flabby and out of shape like I was this time last year.

Another tip - check out the nutrition facts on the back of foods before you eat them. That salad with the dressing poured on it very well may contain a full day's worth of fat.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,211,402 times
Quote:
I only know a couple of people who eat like that. It's such a generalization that I just don't believe is true for most people.
The truth comes out when you look at the statistics. Government statistics show how many Americans are overweight or obese. I sometimes wonder where they're hiding but I don't doubt the statistics.

I get my best reality check in the supermarket checkout line. I love to spy on what people have on the conveyor belt and then compare what they eat with how they look. It's easy to spot the correlation.

Quote:
What I've found strange in my own life is that I'm losing weight and just recently the nuts, crackers, etc. that I nibble before dinner are losing their attraction. I seem to be losing my taste for that salty "human kibble" I used to nibble!

Old 08-02-2018, 08:51 AM

16,884 posts, read 8,672,118 times
Another problem is that the vast majority of advertising both TV, print, internet, billboards, etc is fast food. Constant burger, pizza, and fried everything bombarding people one after another. It is both overt, and subliminal. People are very easily persuaded by suggestion, and the over the top number of food, and restaurant commercials are insane. However, people DO need to take personal responsibility for what they put in their bodies.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:56 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,211,402 times
I think of fast food as a sort of human/canine diet. Dogs will eat anything. Some people are like that too. I'm sure you can find them in all-you-can-eat restaurants, although I never eat at such restaurants because I don't want any encouragement to eat more.

A good idea is to eat slowly (so your satiation can catch up) and stop eating when you are full.

And worse for fat people, eating more expands your capacity and makes you able to eat more.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:41 AM

10,727 posts, read 10,120,297 times
Quote:

LOL, from what I've seen it's clear as day that people overeat. Come on now...let's be realistic here.

Just because you only "know a couple of people" doesn't make it so. Your couple of people is just a small sample size, whereas all you need to do is look at photos of the general population. I see tons of overweight people everywhere...I was in good company when I was overweight.

It's a combination of volume and what people eat. For example, a 12 oz can of soda isn't enough anymore. Now people are drinking 20 ozs of the garbage and even more. So there, it's a combination of an unhealthy food choice (soda) and then the volume. Just one can of soda isn't going to be that much of a diet bomb. Not the best choice, but I firmly believe that just about anything and everything can be included in a dieting plan. And that unhealthy choice is made worse by supersizing it to 20, 44 oz. The difference between a 12 oz can of soda (160 cals) vs. 500+ for the supersized version.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:44 AM

10,727 posts, read 10,120,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyedyeguy View Post
Yep, cut out the sweets and the grease, throw in 30 minutes on the treadmill everyday, and you should be on your way to fitness. Eat lean meats like chicken and fish (baked or grilled), fresh or frozen vegetables, and whole grain carbs for every meal. Cut out the sodas completely. It won't happen overnight, but in a few months you should notice significant improvement if you are strict. Do not consider this a diet. It is a permanent change in eating habits.

How do I know this works? It's because I did it myself. I'm now lean and muscular, not flabby and out of shape like I was this time last year.

Another tip - check out the nutrition facts on the back of foods before you eat them. That salad with the dressing poured on it very well may contain a full day's worth of fat.
Yes, I'm very attuned to what I consume. I also work out. I lost weight solely by decreasing what I ate overall, making healthier food choices and making unhealthy foods treats rather than the norm, and making physical activity a major part of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss