U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 09:57 AM

10,781 posts, read 10,189,641 times

Advertisements

butter (and by extension margarine) has a flavor that I don't desire in all food, so I usually fry in oil.

i just like the light taste of olive oil, on bread. whatever.

with chicken breast, i almost always pan fry in oil for moistness. Thighs and other pieces are usually broiled or baked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 01:27 PM

44,762 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Kathryn, I can see no dietary reason to not eat butter. I can see plenty of reasons to not eat margarine, and I cut out margarine 3-4 years ago. I'll be willing to debate the healthfulness of butter, particularly against margarine. Noting that butter has one of the lightest (smallest molecular size) fats. I can't find any health related reason to not eat butter.
For the record, I never said that I think butter is unhealthy. And I much prefer it over margarine, for healthy living. I just said that I eat a lot less of it now that I have cut out gluten. I haven't eaten margarine in probably 20 years.

I think natural is generally better, and butter is a natural fat. I just think that one can eat too much fat, so considering that I eat sesame oil, avocado oil, a bit of coconut and peanut oils occasionally, I don't feel like I need to add a lot of butter to that list. So cutting down on breads and pasta accomplished that.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:31 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,305,636 times
Lots of people have gone gluten free, and some or many of them need it.

Butter being natural doesn't make it healthy, and of course you can eat too much. I can't find any dietary reason to eliminate it but one shouldn't eat large quantities. I can find plenty of reasons to eliminate margarine although most are just preferential, that I see nothing that margarine brings to the table other than being easier to spread if your butter is cold, which of course is why margarine is called a spread. (Margarine is not good for cooking because of its water content.)

I don't have any problem with any of your oils. It's simpler for me to stock just butter, olive oil and avocado oil. And I use coconut and palm oils from my soapmaking stock so I can easily steal some from my hobby supplies when I want coconut or palm. I use them for the different taste they give to some recipes.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:19 PM

80 posts, read 32,073 times
Quote:
Lots of people have gone gluten free, and some or many of them need it.

Butter being natural doesn't make it healthy, and of course you can eat too much. I can't find any dietary reason to eliminate it but one shouldn't eat large quantities. I can find plenty of reasons to eliminate margarine although most are just preferential, that I see nothing that margarine brings to the table other than being easier to spread if your butter is cold, which of course is why margarine is called a spread. (Margarine is not good for cooking because of its water content.)

I don't have any problem with any of your oils. It's simpler for me to stock just butter, olive oil and avocado oil. And I use coconut and palm oils from my soapmaking stock so I can easily steal some from my hobby supplies when I want coconut or palm. I use them for the different taste they give to some recipes.
Butter is almost pure fat. That's a good enough reason to eliminate it from your diet. The same goes for many of the oils.

Lean meats, complex carbs, and vegetables is the formula. Butter, oils, and sweets should be used very sparingly.

Also, I eat gluten all the time and I'm as healthy as a horse.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:24 PM

2,387 posts, read 912,016 times
They so dam fat because they lazy and rather eat out or fast food because it's more convenient. Oh and exercise, lol, what exercise. People nowadays are soft and God forbid they work up a sweat or mess up their hair. Women go to the gym plastered in makeup and may as well wear a bikini. Men, they pose in mirrors all day long snapping selfies.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:10 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyedyeguy View Post
Butter is almost pure fat. That's a good enough reason to eliminate it from your diet. The same goes for many of the oils.

Lean meats, complex carbs, and vegetables is the formula. Butter, oils, and sweets should be used very sparingly.

Also, I eat gluten all the time and I'm as healthy as a horse.
That's just crazy to believe that eating fat makes you fat. Eating simple carbs makes you fat. Exercising makes you thin. A health plan includes both diet and exercise. You pick what works for you.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
They so dam fat because they lazy and rather eat out or fast food because it's more convenient. Oh and exercise, lol, what exercise. People nowadays are soft and God forbid they work up a sweat or mess up their hair. Women go to the gym plastered in makeup and may as well wear a bikini. Men, they pose in mirrors all day long snapping selfies.
People eat fast food because it's cheap. Particularly people who can't cook.

My experience at my gym L.A. Fitness is that my fellow customers are way more serious about exercise, we are all fitness enthusiasts. You don't go to the gym if you're not an enthusiast.

What is wrong with you bringing women's makeup into a fitness topic? What does that have to do with fitness? Expressing your personal taste in women?

May as well wear a bikini: I love my female fitness enthusiasts for providing me visual encouragement that if I work out enough I may be dating women as cute as them. I love their cute yoga outfits and leggings, they excite me to ever more sets.

What is your basis about men posing for selfies? Only a jerk would put a posed muscle pic in their online dating profile. Women like style, not body builder physiques.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:53 AM

44,762 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Eating too many fats, too many carbs, too much protein, all of that can cause weight gain. Personally I think there are a number of versions of healthy diets for different body types, but I also believe in two tenets that are not "negotiable" to me:

1. My diet must stick closely to "as close to natural as possible" meaning organic if possible, no GMOs, as unrefined as possible, etc. Within reason of course - I'm not as much of a "food purist" as many others are but I strive to keep things close to their natural state.

2. Moderation. Moderation in all things, including fats and proteins, but also sugar (I do eat real sugar in small amounts), salt, grains, etc. Personally, I feel a LOT better off gluten products but that's just me - I know many others can eat it with no problem but regardless of grain type, I think grains should be in moderation too.

I really encourage people who seem to be "stuck" weight wise to try going gluten free and see how you feel after two weeks. I personally was amazed at the difference, and six months later, I don't miss gluten at ALL. There are so many gluten free, natural options out there, in the grocery store as well as at many restaurants. I do not have celiac disease, I am merely sensitive to gluten - it gives me gas, makes me bloat up, makes me feel sluggish - who needs that drama? Not me, especially when it's so easy to avoid.

I thought this was a good article on the whole concept of "gluten free." I am not "down on gluten" or wheat, but just found that eliminating it from my own diet makes me feel a lot better and made it MUCH easier for me to lose 30 pounds and keep it off, so for me it is a win-win. Also, it fits nicely with my overall belief in keeping things unrefined and natural.

Quote:
There are plenty of healthy whole foods that are naturally gluten-free, including:

Meat
Fish and seafood
Eggs
Dairy products
Fruits
Vegetables
Legumes
Nuts
Tubers
Fats, such as oils and butter
As a rule of thumb, it's better to choose foods that are naturally gluten-free, rather than processed gluten-free products. These tend to be low in nutrients and high in added sugar or refined grains.
https://medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318606.php

Old 08-05-2018, 09:16 AM

I'm amused at the market when I see products that never did have gluten, and they are marked as 'gluten free' in big letters. It creates a false impression that 'gluten free' is a desirable feature when it only applies to a very few people. When products are in a category that may or may not be gluten free then they need a label.

I'm going to go buy me some non-fat drinking water.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:49 AM

80 posts, read 32,073 times
Quote:
I'm amused at the market when I see products that never did have gluten, and they are marked as 'gluten free' in big letters. It creates a false impression that 'gluten free' is a desirable feature when it only applies to a very few people. When products are in a category that may or may not be gluten free then they need a label.

I'm going to go buy me some non-fat drinking water.
I find it funny that people have been eating gluten for millennia without any problems whatsoever, and just within the past few years, suddenly all sorts of people believe that gluten is this terribly unhealthy substance to put in your body.

It's just a silly food fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss