U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,518 posts, read 15,305,636 times

Advertisements

I think it's fair to assume that some people do have problems with consuming gluten. I'm not going to assume they're all nuts. I do think some of the anti-glutenists are misguided, but believe others may be right.

They aren't avoiding gluten for reasons of it being thought unhealthy. Rather, they experience adverse reactions and symptoms when they eat it. This is an accepted concept in nutritional science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 01:26 PM

4,064 posts, read 3,097,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyedyeguy View Post
I find it funny that people have been eating gluten for millennia without any problems whatsoever, and just within the past few years, suddenly all sorts of people believe that gluten is this terribly unhealthy substance to put in your body.

It's just a silly food fad.
It is not a silly food fad. US wheat has been genetically modified to the extent that it is now causing health issues for some people. Modern US wheat is far different and bad for human consumption compared to ancient wheat.

I have communicated with Americans with gluten intolerance who traveled to Europe and were able to eat European wheat with no problems. This is why I have sworn off the big GMO foods: American corn, American soy and American wheat.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:35 PM

31,653 posts, read 19,968,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It is not a silly food fad. US wheat has been genetically modified to the extent that it is now causing health issues for some people. Modern US wheat is far different and bad for human consumption compared to ancient wheat.

I have communicated with Americans with gluten intolerance who traveled to Europe and were able to eat European wheat with no problems. This is why I have sworn off the big GMO foods: American corn, American soy and American wheat.
US and EU primarily raise different types of wheat - red wheat vs soft wheat.

That said, they import our wheat, so I'm not sure how you would know if you were still eating wheat grown in the US.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-05-2018, 02:16 PM

44,768 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm amused at the market when I see products that never did have gluten, and they are marked as 'gluten free' in big letters. It creates a false impression that 'gluten free' is a desirable feature when it only applies to a very few people. When products are in a category that may or may not be gluten free then they need a label.

I'm going to go buy me some non-fat drinking water.
And sometimes gluten is in products that you don't expect it to be in, also. Like most soy sauces, many chips, rotisserie chicken, soups, seasoning mixes, some ice creams, some rice cereals, some oatmeal, etc.

People just need to learn to read labels.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:18 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
What I meant was a big advertising blurb "gluten free" as if it were some big deal. Think gluten free drinking water.

And of course all products containing gluten should have a prominent warning notice.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I find it funny that people have been eating gluten for millennia without any problems whatsoever, and just within the past few years, suddenly all sorts of people believe that gluten is this terribly unhealthy substance to put in your body.

That's what I thought too, though I did wonder why I could always lose eight pounds - always eight pounds - on ANY diet plan, but no matter what I did, regardless of calorie count (I mean, within reason - I never did any 500 calorie plan or anything like that, but 1200 to 1500 calories per day), I simply couldn't lose weight. And I ate whole wheat grain products when I ate wheat products too - the "healthiest" types of bread, pasta, etc. What on earth?

When I cut out gluten, without counting a single calorie, I was able to lose 30 pounds in about 4 months, pretty easily too. It just fell off me. It was truly amazing. About two weeks into the plan, I tried adding back HALF A PIECE OF WHEAT BREAD. Bam. Instant bloating, weight gain, constipation, gas, etc. So I let that get out of my system, tried it again a week later - BAM - same result.

Look, I don't care whether it was "water weight" or whatever you want to call it - besides an immediate gain of two or three pounds, I also had the digestive issues, the fatigue, the bloated feeling, etc. Once I finally realized what the culprit was, it was super easy to cut it out, and I haven't looked back.

Prior to this, I was also one of those people who rolled my eyes when I heard the phrase "gluten free." I thought it was ridiculous actually. But I was wrong.

I do not have celiac disease. I'm not allergic to gluten. I just don't like the way it makes me feel so I don't eat it anymore, and I feel fantastic. I'm glad that other people can eat it - I'm just not one of those people and that's OK.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think it's fair to assume that some people do have problems with consuming gluten. I'm not going to assume they're all nuts. I do think some of the anti-glutenists are misguided, but believe others may be right.

They aren't avoiding gluten for reasons of it being thought unhealthy. Rather, they experience adverse reactions and symptoms when they eat it. This is an accepted concept in nutritional science.
Very true. I don't personally know anyone who is demonizing gluten - it doesn't hurt anyone to cut it out and it's readily available for anyone who wants it. What's the big deal?

Old 08-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:

The wheat of today is very different from wheat that was eaten "back in the day."

Quote:
Wheat today is completely different from the wheat we ate back in the day.

First of all, it is processed differently. New techniques in grain processing in the late 19th century made it possible to create massive amounts of refined wheat for a low cost.

We are now able to separate the nutritious components of the grain (the bran and germ) away from the endosperm, where most of the starchy carbs are contained.

This led to an obvious reduction in nutrient density and gave refined wheat the ability to spike blood sugar very fast.

But we also used to prepare our grains differently. They were soaked, sprouted, fermented and bread was baked using slow rise yeast.

Sprouting and fermenting grains leads to many beneficial effects. It increases the amino acid lysine, reduces anti-nutrients (like phytic acid and lectins), disables enzyme inhibitors and makes nutrients more accessible (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).

Today, the flour is bleached and the bread is baked with quick rise yeast. The grains certainly aren't soaked, sprouted or fermented.
For more ways which wheat differs from more commonly consumed wheats "back in the day:"
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...tmare#section1

Old 08-05-2018, 02:47 PM

Gluten has many virtues in that it is responsible for elasticity in bread, provides a protein network as the dough rises, and absorbs water. This makes the bread more chewy, and the additional moisture (over gluten free products) keeps bread with gluten fresh longer.

Your bread will probably taste better if you have no problem handling the gluten. It wouldn't be in bread if it didn't make bread better.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,319,740 times
Quote:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why so many Americans are fat.
No kidding, they consume more calories than they burn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss