Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 AM

9,806 posts, read 7,631,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm amused watching people jockey their cars for a spot close to the entrance to my gym. My car got hit in the gym parking lot once. Since then I've been parking in a distant part of the lot, and getting some exercise walking across the lot.
I agree with this, it's hysterical. Our store used to be next to a ladies fitness center and many of those ladies would park directly in front of our door, taking our customers' spots, instead of a bit further out so they could get in a few more steps.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
It's not good to combine exercise and heat.
Unless it's heavy yard work and then laps in the pool, get out and repeat. I love getting a good sweaty workout in the sunshine, makes me feel wonderful.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Soldiers, doctors, and cops that are obese are mind-boggling to me.
It is, in my opinion, a contradiction.
We live by a hospital and every day see very obese nurses outside smoking.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:18 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,048,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Unless it's heavy yard work and then laps in the pool, get out and repeat. I love getting a good sweaty workout in the sunshine, makes me feel wonderful.
Don't forget that sun screen!

Heavy yard work for me is finding a pen to write out my gardener's check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We live by a hospital and every day see very obese nurses outside smoking.
That just disgusts me so much, employees hanging around the entrance of a medical building, smoking. I know I'm being unfair and they have as much right to smoke as anybody, but you would think medical people would heed the warnings..

Old 09-11-2018, 09:18 AM

48,426 posts, read 34,609,506 times
Quote:
You rock Mikala! I think we do about the same gym time, I work out 3-4 times a week about 1:15 hours each. That's 4.375 hrs/week.

I did mine today, and I'm sad that it appears the shelf life of a workout is about 24-48 hours. I have a date Wednesday (and a long drive before) so I have to hit it again tomorrow because I can't on Wednesday.

Does anybody else feel like me that it's like pulling teeth to get me to the gym, but that after I do a mile on my treadmill I always enjoy the rest of my workout, to the degree that I often add reps or new exercises just because I'm having a good time! I feel the treadmill is good for my cardio, and the rest is for muscle building and calorie burning. (If I burn 'em my body can't stick 'em!)

I think alternate days is the best workout schedule.

I admit it, I hate the gym. I don't feel good until I leave.

My motivation is 50% vanity and 50% health, but as long as I go, I don't have to have completely altruistic reasons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-11-2018, 09:23 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,048,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I admit it, I hate the gym. I don't feel good until I leave.

My motivation is 50% vanity and 50% health, but as long as I go, I don't have to have completely altruistic reasons.
I hate it only until I get through my first exercise, 20 minutes on the treadmill. The rest of my routines are enjoyable, kind of like stretching but with power behind it.

I'm the same, health and vanity. I want to live a long healthy life, and I want to attract pretty women. I can't expect those pretty women to be attracted to a fat guy, so I have to not be the fat guy. So I work out.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 598 times
Fruits and vegetables are definitely key. When I went into the marine corp anyone that was over weight was designated a diet private and could only eat fruits and vegetables. They could eat as much of them as they wanted. That combined with exercise made for drastic transformations by the end of 13 weeks.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:53 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,493,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well I'm not walking in 100 degree Texas heat. Hell to the no.

If it's not in the blazing hot summer, I regularly walk a mile and a half from the gym.

Oh, and I don't do excuses. I'm fit and have walked lots of miles. I don't do extreme heat, screw that. That's what air conditioned gyms are for.
Air-conditioned gyms are for lightweights.
I like to do all my exercise outside in fresh air - and the heat is a really good plus for getting the heart-rate going and working up a sweat.
The only benefit of a gym that I see is watching good-looking women work out.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:19 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,629,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.
From the public health perspective, obesity definitely is a major problem. Your observations point to a key missing ingredient that helps to keep weight down - natural fiber. Fruits and vegetables are high in fiber which helps make a person feel full. It also helps in digestion. The net effect is lower blood sugar, lower body weight, lower blood pressure, lower levels of stress hormones, etc. Combined with moderate to intense exercise, the high fiber diet with fruits and vegetables can really make a difference.

With that said, it really depends on the family and region of the country. Obesity is common in rural areas of TX, NM, AZ (frybread, high-calorie Americanized Mexcian food, etc) and much of the Southeastern USA (e.g. southern fried chicken and gravy with mash potatoes, pecan pie, and a large regular coke). Americanized Mexican food tastes great but is really high in calories with too much cheese, grease, and condiments. By contrast, the actual "Mexican" food from Mexico tends to be much higher in fiber (e.g. black beans) and lower in cheese, grease and condiments. For example, they use a corn bread and tomatoes for a "taco" (only about 250 calories) whereas in America a taco would typically include deep fried beef, extra cheese, and perhaps mayonnaise and a side order of "restaurant-style" tortillas chips - all high in calories (>1000 per meal). Frybread in rural AZ and NM is horrifyingly bad - not actually indigenous food. It was created from government commodity food high in sugar and fats during a time of famine. Now, it is accepted as "indigenous" when the actual "indigenous" food was high in fiber with fruits and vegetables and healthier natural venison.

But there are places where obesity is less common like Boulder, CO. The place is inundated with habitual and elite runners. There are many mountains in the area, and local foot races are extremely popular - an extension of the "Running Boom" started by Frank Shorter, Bill Bowerman and Steve Prefontaine back in the 1970s. Health food stores are common. Austin, TX also has a huge running community centered around the town lake. On any given day you can see a huge population of runners around the lake's many trails ranging from casual walker and joggers to elite sub-5 minute milers. The same pattern can be found in Flagstaff, AZ or Colorado Springs, CO. So it also depends on the area and demographic sample. It's not as hopeless as it sounds EVERYWHERE. But obesity is indeed a general problem in the USA.

You are not going to see obesity as a major problem for much of the runners in the annual Bolder Boulder 10k.
https://bb10k.bolderboulder.com/our-commitment/

Last edited by grad_student200; 09-16-2018 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 07:52 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,250,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjj12 View Post
Fruits and vegetables are definitely key. When I went into the marine corp anyone that was over weight was designated a diet private and could only eat fruits and vegetables. They could eat as much of them as they wanted. That combined with exercise made for drastic transformations by the end of 13 weeks.
This is what changed my eating patterns. Ten years ago I weighed 147- at 5'7" (female), hardly obese, but a scary number to me. I eat very little meat- maybe at dinner 2 nights a week- and eat a lot of vegetables, some fruits, and have also cut out most refined carbs and foods such as pasta, potatoes and rice in favor of "slow carbs" such as beans, quinoa, faro, bulghur, etc. I also like yogurt and cheese but am careful of the fat content. I do over an hour of cardio per day.

This morning I was at 120- I haven't been that thin since college. Last weekend I was in Hermann, MO and stayed at a B&B that served WONDERFUL lovingly-prepared food in moderate portions, but definitely containing bacon, eggs, sugar, butter, etc. Yum. I also bicycled 71 miles over 3 days and then went back to my normal eating habits when I got home.

It depresses me when I see posts from my former HS (class of '71) classmates joking about how overweight they are ("If you see me running, call the police 'cause someone's chasing me") and/or posting recipes loaded with fat and sugar. I know one friend has rheumatoid arthritis so her mobility is limited- but then she posts pictures of fat-laden restaurant meals. Weight gain as you age is not inevitable but you have to avoid a whole lot of the processed crap on the grocery store shelves.

And don't get me started on high-fructose corn syrup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss