Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 06:28 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times

Advertisements

Want to save money on food?
Fast... it's free!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:29 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Food cooked at home from whole ingredients is less expensive than microwave or heat-and-eat food. I bet it's cheaper to eat at home than at a fast food joint too.

Also, I very frequently peruse the "manager's specials" at the meat department and always buy and freeze any last day meats that I enjoy. I'm having a no frills weight losing dinner tonight: 3 roasted chicken legs and a glass of water. It was last day chicken and I bet total cost was maybe a dollar. I should go nuke some low glycemic index veggies...

People are fat because they are lazy. Don't want to cook. Don't want to work out. Don't want to stop eating because I am still enjoying more... "I'm not really that fat, because look, everybody is this fat."

BTW I reached a new milestone today! BMI 22.5! I'm about 5 pounds from my goal in a more-than-a-year diet!

Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I could eat like that as a teen and not break 100 pounds.

One of my fraternity brothers in college had been on the wrestling and football teams in high school. He had some bulk, and an extremely low body fat percentage, even if he didn't workout. In college, he could eat a large pizza two, sometimes three times a week and didn't gain a pound, nor increase his body fat percentage.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 2,473 times
People are lazy. They have to start to cook for themselves, it`s much better than buying all those fast food prepared harmful food. Eat more vegetables and fruits, whole grain pasta, chicken, fish, beef, eggs, there are so many great recipes on the Internet!
Your life is in your hands!

Old 12-24-2018, 05:39 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Universe 18 View Post
People are lazy. They have to start to cook for themselves, it's much better than buying all those fast food prepared harmful food. Eat more vegetables and fruits, whole grain pasta, chicken, fish, beef, eggs, there are so many great recipes on the Internet!
Your life is in your hands!
I pretty much cut out chicken and beef, too. Over a long period I got my weight down to levels I hadn't seen since HS and my BMI was dipping below 19, which put me at risk for osteoporosis. I've been with family over the holidays and haven't weighed myself but I guarantee you my BMI is above 19 again! I AM getting to the local Planet Fitness every day.

When I go home and go back to my usual habits I have to figure out how to keep my weight a LITTLE higher without adding crap to my diet. Extra Brussels sprouts aren't gonna do it. Never thought I'd have this problem but I'll deal with it.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:46 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
And I'm eating more chicken and beef, and less of everything else. When at home else might be a vegetable.

I discovered a strange thing. I've always been able to exist on only a dinner meal, but often ate brunch even if just a plain fried or poached egg, maybe with cheese.

Today my BMI is just a smidge above 22 and my goal is 20. I work out a lot and sometimes my only meal of the day is almost nothing, like 2-3 broiled chicken legs (depending on size) and that's it. That day I just turned off my brain to any expectation of getting some food enjoyment that day.

BTW a BMI of 19 for a short, slim woman is nothing at all. Some people look and feel great at that BMI particularly women. Actually I have a well thought out fitness plan, and BMI 19 is my minimum "Danger Will Robinson" point unless I start getting very athletic.

Actually my goal is simple. I just want no love handles and a flat belly (or almost flat). After that all I want to do is stay that weight and work out to define my muscles. That will be good for my health too. (Oh and also my dating. You know how everybody hates meeting fit people for dates. )

I always tell people to decide how long they want to live, then advise them to live a lifestyle consistent with living that long. That's what I'm doing, and better every day.

It's a good thing I enjoy workout days. If I plan them right I hit the treadmill early, come home for a fried egg, go out and do errands including the weight training part of my gym routine, then come home to a sensible dinner.

Last edited by Lovehound; 12-24-2018 at 11:57 AM..

Old 12-24-2018, 01:04 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Today my BMI is just a smidge above 22 and my goal is 20. I work out a lot and sometimes my only meal of the day is almost nothing, like 2-3 broiled chicken legs (depending on size) and that's it. That day I just turned off my brain to any expectation of getting some food enjoyment that day.

BTW a BMI of 19 for a short, slim woman is nothing at all. Some people look and feel great at that BMI particularly women. Actually I have a well thought out fitness plan, and BMI 19 is my minimum "Danger Will Robinson" point unless I start getting very athletic.
About BMI...
According to the tables, at 5'9", for me to get out of the overweight category, I'd have to weigh 168 lbs.
At 169 lbs, I'm not going to be overweight, I'm going to be skinny.
Normal goes all the way down to 126 lbs. At 126 lbs I'd be a bony little runt!

So, I'm not really buying into the BMI tables. My goal is 170-180 lbs, which is still "overweight". Oh, well...

Old 12-24-2018, 01:12 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I pretty much cut out chicken and beef, too.
I significantly reduced my chicken, beef, port intake also.

Mainly because of the hormones, chemicals, anti-biotics in them AND the lack of fiber.

Beer and pork does not digest well in me.

I'm now eating basically only chicken - that I assume and hope - is from a chicken running around and not from the large supply companies.

With this and many other changes I've lost 62 pounds. Lots of fat yes, but also a lot of muscle.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:27 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
About BMI...
According to the tables, at 5'9", for me to get out of the overweight category, I'd have to weigh 168 lbs.
At 169 lbs, I'm not going to be overweight, I'm going to be skinny.
Normal goes all the way down to 126 lbs. At 126 lbs I'd be a bony little runt!

So, I'm not really buying into the BMI tables. My goal is 170-180 lbs, which is still "overweight". Oh, well...
Really? Not sure if you're male or female but:

My son is 5'11 and looks his best at about 165. He's lean and has muscle definition. Doesn't look "skinny" or malnourished at all. He's pushing over 170 and you can start to see the pudge on him here and there although still looks pretty good.

My best friend's daughter is 5'9 and weighs about 130 and looks very healthy and fabulous. She's lean but looks appropriate.

I can sort of see where 168 for 5'9" is considered overweight.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Last night I had some friends round for supper.
2lbs of lean ground beef,a few onions,scallions,a couple of carrots and some fresh garlic with a mashed potato and hint of butter topping produced a wonderful baked shepherd's pie.
It took no time to prepare and less than an hour to cook.
20 bucks fed eight people.
It is complete nonsense that poor people cannot feed their family healthily.
Eating unhealthy is a lazy lifestyle choice based on ignorance and poor education.
I agree one can eat healthy and still stay on a budget; I also think maybe your comment is a little self righteous. I can give you an example: I happen to be overweight; I am 80 years old, majored in nutrition in college, am thought of as a very good cook and I keep up with trends in what is healthy and not healthy. I also know people who are not over weight and eat crap a lot. There are a lot of things that contribute to having weight problems and health related problems. Yes many are too lazy or ignorant so they do not make good choices but to say everyone who eats unhealthy is ignorant or poorly educated is way over the top!!!!
Lack of exercise also leads to weight gain and some is related to genes: yes, that is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss