Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 10:17 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
glad you have worked so hard to lose so much weight and learned to exercise as well. I doubt you are in the age group I am talking about. Are you 70 plus years old? Those are the people I am referring to. if you do not think skin starts to sag as we approach 70 you need to pay more attention. I am not saying everyone, I am generalizing.
I'm thinking ahead in the same way that I wish I had thought ahead in my teens, and had understood the serious effects of sun exposure back then. Unfortunately public awareness of the connection between UV and skin cancer was low at the time. Actually if you look at the people you see around you, it appears that awareness of the harmful effects of being obese is low.

I've been into fitness since my 30s but have recently set a goal to become perfectly fit in time to enjoy my fitness in retirement and old age. By perfect I mean that if I showed up at my gym and asked a trainer for an assessment, I'd like to hear "just keep doing whatever you're doing." I want 'fit' to be one of the words people use to describe me.

BTW I am really enjoying the rewards of my diet and exercise, now just middle normal BMI. I achieved this in only in the last few weeks, but I seem to have passed some sort of milestone where I just feel good and full of energy all the time, and it's great to not feel a band of blubber as I tie my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying and yes certainly many young families are so busy they do not have time or seem to not find the time to eat healthy or they spend time in fast food restaurant or order take out several times a week cause of their busy schedules...

No, not a lot of fat foods, but enough that requires more time exercising and I don't mean exercising my fingers on the computer.
When the alternative is fast food or convenience (nuke) food, it makes me wonder why people can't cook simple meals. For example, roast chicken, vegetables, rice or potato. You don't need to be a cooking enthusiast like me to just stick the chicken in the oven for right temperature and amount of time, better if you season it first. Nuked veggies may be as healthy as fresh, and are damned better than fast food, and your rice will be same carbs whether cooked French style or plain nuked mashed. (Well the French style would taste much better, or my twice-baked.) Anyway you get the idea, that plain food cooked at home is cheap and it's not that much effort to prepare it.

I know what you mean about some foods requiring more exercise. And lol, I have really strong fingers from typing! I'm a bit above my slope to my weight target today, and already decided dinner will be 3 chicken legs, seasoned and roasted. That's an example of a semi-keto day for me, my entire caloric intake for the day, often combined with exercise.

One thing for sure about fitness, you can't drive there. The only way you can get there is by walking.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

When the alternative is fast food or convenience (nuke) food, it makes me wonder why people can't cook simple meals. For example, roast chicken, vegetables, rice or potato. You don't need to be a cooking enthusiast like me to just stick the chicken in the oven for right temperature and amount of time, better if you season it first. Nuked veggies may be as healthy as fresh, and are damned better than fast food, and your rice will be same carbs whether cooked French style or plain nuked mashed. (Well the French style would taste much better, or my twice-baked.) Anyway you get the idea, that plain food cooked at home is cheap and it's not that much effort to prepare it.
Part of the big issue here, IMO, is that when you've been eating convenience foods for a while, "real" food does not taste good at all. I've been through that myself. When I fall off my wagon, as I do, and spend too much time eating out, well, the flavors are glorious. Too much salt, fat, and sweet in all the food. It is an addictive combination. After you've had a few meals out and you go home to your sad chicken and steamed veggies is extremely unsatisfying. I do know from my own experience that this goes away after about 2 weeks and the real food starts to taste better. But I'm telling you, people have a VERY hard time getting past it. Then you factor in that some people, from childhood eat the majority of their meals out and you may never get them to like simply cooked/home cooked food.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:47 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
After you've had a few meals out and you go home to your sad chicken and steamed veggies is extremely unsatisfying.
I dunno...
My T-bone steaks always taste pretty damn good.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Part of the big issue here, IMO, is that when you've been eating convenience foods for a while, "real" food does not taste good at all. I've been through that myself. When I fall off my wagon, as I do, and spend too much time eating out, well, the flavors are glorious. Too much salt, fat, and sweet in all the food. It is an addictive combination. After you've had a few meals out and you go home to your sad chicken and steamed veggies is extremely unsatisfying...
That makes a lot of sense, particularly I recall some chain adding beef flavor to make their fries taste better (offending vegetarians when the truth came out).

I'm not a good judge of this because I am exposed to fast food only when I travel, and eat the same healthy food whether home or dining out, although sometimes at home I cut the meal to a minimum, understanding that I can't feed my food habit every day of my life even considering I work out too.

My worst case 'don't want to cook' is calling any local restaurant and ordering dinner prepared to go, and it's not much more than a dozen minute drive each way.

Another good thing to do is to substitute something for refined starches, like having grilled asparagus instead of French fries. Others dream of sweet stuff, I dream of fries and ketchup. Having fries is my exceptional reward when I reach fitness goals.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:23 PM

57 posts, read 60,164 times
Quote:
Part of the big issue here, IMO, is that when you've been eating convenience foods for a while, "real" food does not taste good at all. I've been through that myself. When I fall off my wagon, as I do, and spend too much time eating out, well, the flavors are glorious. Too much salt, fat, and sweet in all the food. It is an addictive combination. After you've had a few meals out and you go home to your sad chicken and steamed veggies is extremely unsatisfying. I do know from my own experience that this goes away after about 2 weeks and the real food starts to taste better. But I'm telling you, people have a VERY hard time getting past it. Then you factor in that some people, from childhood eat the majority of their meals out and you may never get them to like simply cooked/home cooked food.
Yes, food scientists are busy making convenience foods even more irresistible. Then, supermarkets promote these yummy foods because they sell. Personally I have always had a problem eating enough veggies even though I know they are good for me. For awhile my solution was to drink v8 juice, but even that grew tiresome.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:53 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I freely admit that eating healthy all of the time can wear on me. I cook pretty well but sorry food prepared in restaurants will always win. Fruit will lose to cookies every time. Recognizing this I dedicate one day to purely unhealthy eating. If anything this allows me to savor such food whereas if I ate that way regularly I wouldn’t enjoy it as much after awhile. I ate pretty darn unhealthily for several days now and honestly I feel horrible-low energy and the food just not tasting as great after awhile.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:08 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Fruit will lose to cookies every time.
Fortunately, wanting cookies is a problem I've never had. I'll take raspberries every time.

Quote:
I ate pretty darn unhealthily for several days now and honestly I feel horrible-low energy and the food just not tasting as great after awhile.
I know.
After that big free day, I don't want that stuff again for awhile.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:16 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
ive been on the keto diet and never felt better

sugars n carbs are the real food demons not meats not fats

I love ice cream and sweets it would be easy to be obese,,,

Old 01-03-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I love ice cream and sweets it would be easy to be obese,,,
And that answers the thread topic, Americans get so fat because it's easier to be fat than not.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Part of the problem is motivation, part of the problem is having the ability to understand nutrition and become informed, but in the end most people remain or become fat because they are weak willed or are medicating themselves with food because it always makes them feel better. And frankly, who doesn't enjoy eating? Very few.

Self control is a survival skill. On the average the more you have the more likely you are to live longer.
This.
Not getting fat requires the correct decision every time you open your mouth to eat or drink something.
It's a lifelong habit not just a temporary diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss