Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 02:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm tired and hungry, and my spouse has already been home for over an hour waiting for me.
Your spouse can't start cooking before you get home? Really?

Old 02-12-2015, 03:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Your spouse can't start cooking before you get home? Really?

Maybe she has a husband like mine...we'd have to have the fire department on standby if my husband decided to cook.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Why not experiment with some crock-pot recipes? Back in the day, my husband got home a couple of hours before I did, so he could either start eating or just turn off the crock pot and wait for me. Although, I hear crock pots come with timers and automatic shut-off now, which makes it even easier.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:26 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
174 posts on this thread and I dont think anyone has hit on the REAL reason Americans are so darn fat - Stupidity/ignorance (when it comes to health) and Lazyness (dont care about their health).

The biggest crock of baloney b.s. is when people say "I cant afford it" and the second crock of b.s. is the old "My family/culture, we eat ......(insert whatever type of obesity inducing food here)"

People have all the knowledge in the history of the world at their fingertips (smart phone, laptop, pc, etc.) so all they have to do is the FREE research to learn how to eat correctly/healthily. But instead learning how to eat right, they are looking up Dessert recipes and reruns of SOA. Then lie to their friends and themselves and say "Im okay and happy with my weight". B.S.!!! Learn how to eat right and stay away from the Sweet Tea that memaw always used to make.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:29 PM

142 posts, read 242,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I think with the lowering of standards in schools most of which do not see any value in teaching cooking any more and parents working multiple jobs not having time to teach kids to cook has left us with a generation (or more) of young adults with no idea how to cook proper food for themselves or their families which is just plain sad
Blame the schools. They're responsible for everything, aren't they? As a former teacher, I'm tired of the world expecting schools to raise children. Parents can watch the cooking channel on TV and figure it out. I came from a family that heated crap from cans and called it dinner. I'm self-taught in cooking thanks to tv and websites with recipes.

Maybe I should be lazy and blame my teachers and schools too. It seems to be the American way. Everything is someone else's fault, not mine!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
174 posts on this thread and I dont think anyone has hit on the REAL reason Americans are so darn fat - Stupidity/ignorance (when it comes to health) and Lazyness (dont care about their health).

The biggest crock of baloney b.s. is when people say "I cant afford it" and the second crock of b.s. is the old "My family/culture, we eat ......(insert whatever type of obesity inducing food here)"

People have all the knowledge in the history of the world at their fingertips (smart phone, laptop, pc, etc.) so all they have to do is the FREE research to learn how to eat correctly/healthily. But instead learning how to eat right, they are looking up Dessert recipes and reruns of SOA. Then lie to their friends and themselves and say "Im okay and happy with my weight". B.S.!!! Learn how to eat right and stay away from the Sweet Tea that memaw always used to make.
The excuses I hear are "I don't know how" and "I don't have time."

Old 02-12-2015, 06:07 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
The excuses I hear are "I don't know how" and "I don't have time."
"I don't know how" is not a good excuse. Even if a person can't afford a computer or smart phone, there are COOK BOOKS. "I don't have time"---I can understand that one. But you can still make a few meals on the weekend and eat right for the weekend, then freeze a little bit of it for the week. Organized people (I was never one of them though) can freeze an entire week's worth of good food.

So anyone should be able to eat a few decent meals every week, even if they can't or won't do it every day.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:17 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
"I don't know how" is not a good excuse. Even if a person can't afford a computer or smart phone, there are COOK BOOKS. "I don't have time"---I can understand that one. But you can still make a few meals on the weekend and eat right for the weekend, then freeze a little bit of it for the week. Organized people (I was never one of them though) can freeze an entire week's worth of good food.

So anyone should be able to eat a few decent meals every week, even if they can't or won't do it every day.
This.
You've got to be clinically dumb not to understand that a regular diet of Big Mac and Fries is unhealthy.
Likewise, if you're putting on weight because when you come home you're too tired to cook and instead gorge on crap.
There really is no excuse.
Except for a tiny percentage of people with metabolic problems the only reason people of obese is because they consume more calories than they expend.
If you have time to watch TV you have time to cook.
Period.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:20 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
I've been cooking instead of having fast food for years now, and quite frankly, I'm really tired of doing the dishes. Arrrgh.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:34 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Maybe she has a husband like mine...we'd have to have the fire department on standby if my husband decided to cook.
Once upon a time, my boyfriend was like that. Better the fire department than divorce court. :P My boyfriend works from home and after rushing to his house one too many times to make dinner for both of us, I told him he either learned to cook or that was the end.

Now he likes to impress me with all the different ways he can prepare brussels sprouts.

At least he had an excuse. He grew up in the foster care system and didn't even know how to make pasta until he was in his 20s.

My dad has been unemployed for years and still expects my mom to prepare dinner when she gets home after sometimes pulling a 10-12 hour day at a daycare. And he knows how to cook! When I was last home, and I was making dinner to be ready for my mom when she got home, I let him have it. It was the first time he had ever thought about it! It's all about enabling. My mom lets him get away with it, so he does. He cooks when he feels like it - and typically, he feels like frying whatever it is that he's making. And then they both complain when they gain weight due to eating crap for dinner.

At this point, there's no reason anyone shouldn't know how to cook. There are websites, YouTube videos, cookbooks, tv shows, and classes - often offered for free or cheaply. Having time is one thing - especially if you get home late from work - but not knowing? That is laziness at its height. Learning to be a good cook is one thing - that requires a good sense of taste - but there is no excuse not to be a functional cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.