Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 06:52 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Thanks to you both. That is very informative and eye opening. No wonder it's so difficult to lose weight and keep it off.

How do you reliably determine what calories are right for you?
It looks like you've gotten some good advice about this already, mocha majesty. The answer, of course, is that it depends. Determining your BMR is a great start. Talking to a doctor is a great idea too. We are all different shapes, sizes, and metabolisms, so it's tough to over-generalize.

I'll just add that physical fitness and an active lifestyle is absolutely key to having a healthy metabolism, maintaining a healthy weight, etc. It's more important than what you eat, and it certainly alters how much you should eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
She is wrong because there is more to it than consume vs burn.
Yes, there are many factors involved in metabolism, but calories consumed vs. calories burned is still a very primary component when it comes to metabolism and weight loss. That gets grossly overlooked today with fad diets distracting from this very basic thing. Often times, people get so focused on the "type" of calories they're consuming that they forget that the calories themselves are still the dominating factor. Despite all of the studies that prove our systems are nuanced and complex, and do process different foods in slightly different ways, the main factor is still energy in vs. energy out. Calories matter. A balanced diet, (not carb free, fat free, whatever free), proper calorie intake (quantity), and exercise is what makes a healthy metabolism. It really is that simple.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:26 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Default I know why Americans are so damn fat !

The invention of potato chips.....

Old 06-04-2015, 08:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
It looks like you've gotten some good advice about this already, mocha majesty. The answer, of course, is that it depends. Determining your BMR is a great start. Talking to a doctor is a great idea too. We are all different shapes, sizes, and metabolisms, so it's tough to over-generalize.

I'll just add that physical fitness and an active lifestyle is absolutely key to having a healthy metabolism, maintaining a healthy weight, etc. It's more important than what you eat, and it certainly alters how much you should eat.

Yes, there are many factors involved in metabolism, but calories consumed vs. calories burned is still a very primary component when it comes to metabolism and weight loss. That gets grossly overlooked today with fad diets distracting from this very basic thing. Often times, people get so focused on the "type" of calories they're consuming that they forget that the calories themselves are still the dominating factor. Despite all of the studies that prove our systems are nuanced and complex, and do process different foods in slightly different ways, the main factor is still energy in vs. energy out. Calories matter. A balanced diet, (not carb free, fat free, whatever free), proper calorie intake (quantity), and exercise is what makes a healthy metabolism. It really is that simple.
Sadly, some people will insist that it isn't true, and use their flawed insistance to justify poor eating habits and/or lack of exercise, and the resulting ill health. How many people have you heard complain that "it's my thyroid" or "I had a spider bite and puffed up" or "oh it's the meds. Or "it's in my family genes"

Yes, the meds will puff you up. Yes, a spider bite will puff you up. Yes, a family history of obesity can set you up for a challenge. But when you know that meds + 1800 calories + 10 minutes walking at 2.5 mph = weight gain, then you also know that meds + 1500 calories + 20 minutes of walking at 2.8mph = weight loss.

And the same for the spider bite. Spider bite + fewer calories + more exercise = weight loss.
You are at RISK of being obese, if it's in your family history. Absolutely correct. But it is ALSO absolutely correct that you can reduce and even eliminate that risk, by eating less and moving more.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Sadly, some people will insist that it isn't true, and use their flawed insistance to justify poor eating habits and/or lack of exercise, and the resulting ill health. How many people have you heard complain that "it's my thyroid" or "I had a spider bite and puffed up" or "oh it's the meds. Or "it's in my family genes"

Yes, the meds will puff you up. Yes, a spider bite will puff you up. Yes, a family history of obesity can set you up for a challenge. But when you know that meds + 1800 calories + 10 minutes walking at 2.5 mph = weight gain, then you also know that meds + 1500 calories + 20 minutes of walking at 2.8mph = weight loss.

And the same for the spider bite. Spider bite + fewer calories + more exercise = weight loss.
You are at RISK of being obese, if it's in your family history. Absolutely correct. But it is ALSO absolutely correct that you can reduce and even eliminate that risk, by eating less and moving more.
Completely correct!

Old 06-04-2015, 11:26 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Completely correct!
Yup.
I've yet to meet an obese person who got obese by eating the correct amount of healthy food.
Man but they're as good at finding excuses as they are at locating a fast food restaurant.
Genetically big-boned and thyroid problems are amongst the most common ones I hear.
I have a neighbour who uses this double-whammy excuse - I doubt she takes more than 1000 steps in a day.I've seen here move her car 50 yards between stores rather than walk there and back.
And eat ? She puts it away like a college linebacker.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:43 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Yup.
I've yet to meet an obese person who got obese by eating the correct amount of healthy food.
Man but they're as good at finding excuses as they are at locating a fast food restaurant.
Genetically big-boned and thyroid problems are amongst the most common ones I hear.
I have a neighbour who uses this double-whammy excuse - I doubt she takes more than 1000 steps in a day.I've seen here move her car 50 yards between stores rather than walk there and back.
And eat ? She puts it away like a college linebacker.
I don't know anyone morbidly obese, but i do know at least two women who are overweight by maybe 30 lbs or so, who gained the weight after pregnancies and weren't able to lose it. These two in particular seem to be super diligent in what they eat, granted I don't follow them around counting what they eat 24/7, but from what I've seen I really doubt they stuff their faces at home, at birthday parties they avoid the pizza, snacks etc, or the sweets people put out for tea or coffee, snacks moms bring to share at the park etc. One of them especially seems very down about her weight and I really believe she sincerely doesn't eat much at all. Meanwhile some of the thinnest women I know are constantly eating something - and not the healthiest either! Its really sad and unfair.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
I've said it before and I will say it again, there will always be anecdotes, such as the one above about the two women of the 7 billion population who couldn't lose weight. Of course SOME people are going to have issues, and sicknesses and things wrong with their bodies.

But, overall, in general, with MOST people, it IS about consume vs. burn. IMHO, of course.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again, there will always be anecdotes, such as the one above about the two women of the 7 billion population who couldn't lose weight. Of course SOME people are going to have issues, and sicknesses and things wrong with their bodies.

But, overall, in general, with MOST people, it IS about consume vs. burn. IMHO, of course.
They're still not exceptions. They prove the rule. Again - how your body absorbs and burns calories is variable. Regardless of how, in the end, the net loss will equal calories consumed minus calories burned.

A simple math equation to explain, simply:

(Your current weight) + (what you consume +/- variables (such as hormone problems, illness, added caloric burn due to obesity, negative caloric burn due to anorexia, triple-negative expulsion due to bulimia, the dog ate my homework, insert variable here)) - (whatever you actually burn via movement and existing) = tomorrow's weight.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
They're still not exceptions. They prove the rule. Again - how your body absorbs and burns calories is variable. Regardless of how, in the end, the net loss will equal calories consumed minus calories burned.

A simple math equation to explain, simply:

(Your current weight) + (what you consume +/- variables (such as hormone problems, illness, added caloric burn due to obesity, negative caloric burn due to anorexia, triple-negative expulsion due to bulimia, the dog ate my homework, insert variable here)) - (whatever you actually burn via movement and existing) = tomorrow's weight.
So in attempting to partially support Momma, just trying to "have us all get along," let's say someone she knows is 189 + healthy amount of calories + hormone problems - healthy amount of exercise = 190.

What are they supposed to do with that? Just accept that they got dealt a crap hand in life?

Or, what I think I've seen Anon saying is that they simply must increase their exercise to account for the hormone problems?

Or, will we have to wave the white flag and agree that each of us has our own different beliefs on what weight loss is about, and whether or not we are wrong or right, we're still going to hold to our own individual beliefs?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I don't know anyone morbidly obese, but i do know at least two women who are overweight by maybe 30 lbs or so, who gained the weight after pregnancies and weren't able to lose it. These two in particular seem to be super diligent in what they eat, granted I don't follow them around counting what they eat 24/7, but from what I've seen I really doubt they stuff their faces at home, at birthday parties they avoid the pizza, snacks etc, or the sweets people put out for tea or coffee, snacks moms bring to share at the park etc. One of them especially seems very down about her weight and I really believe she sincerely doesn't eat much at all. Meanwhile some of the thinnest women I know are constantly eating something - and not the healthiest either! Its really sad and unfair.
As I mentioned before, exercise/physical activity and fitness is a more important factor than food. My own mom complains that she eats very healthy and relatively small quantities (she does) and can't shed pounds. Yes, age makes this more difficult (some of the hormones people have mentioned), but I guarantee her situation would be different if she decided to be physically fit and burn some calories with exercise, as well as speed up her metabolism. She's not as interested in that part of things... I'd be curious to know about your new-mom-friends' exercise routines (I'm not saying new moms should be at the gym all of the time! Guess what, it's OKAY to carry some extra weight for a while after having babies!! When the time comes though, exercise rules over starving yourself.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
So in attempting to partially support Momma, just trying to "have us all get along," let's say someone she knows is 189 + healthy amount of calories + hormone problems - healthy amount of exercise = 190.

What are they supposed to do with that? Just accept that they got dealt a crap hand in life?

Or, what I think I've seen Anon saying is that they simply must increase their exercise to account for the hormone problems?

Or, will we have to wave the white flag and agree that each of us has our own different beliefs on what weight loss is about, and whether or not we are wrong or right, we're still going to hold to our own individual beliefs?
There are always going to be exceptions to every rule. I would never argue against that. I will say that 99% of the time, someone dealt the hand that you mention above could be healthy and find success with a diet that is slightly lower in calories (while more nutrient-dense), and an exercise routine that is slightly more rigorous. There is always a 1% (I'd say .1% though) that has some very unique medical issues that make the other factors go out the window. I don't want to discount it, but it's rare enough that it's ridiculous to claim it as a common exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss