Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 07:31 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post
You know they have all these foods in the PRODUCE section (except the sun dried tomatoes which are probably packed in olive oil). I love sun dried tomatoes in olive oil as a recipe ingredient! ... Particularly in Italian food, and often goes well with prepared mustard and maybe some cream.

You should understand that fresh vegetables are almost always more healthful than the same frozen vegetables?

Another little known fact but true: Sometimes cooked vegetables are more healthful than their raw form! (Disclaimer: I always keep frozen veggies in stock for when I don't have fresh equivalents!)

Personally, I love eating raw asparagus! (You need a dip with that, and many fresh vegetables benefit from a dip or dressing.) What is a salad except a bunch of fresh veggies, chopped up, and served with a dressing?

And somebody will gig me if I don't point out that uncooked rhubarb is poisonous...
oh the frozen veg are for those times im super tired from work and i will easily cook it rather than grab some fast food. which i dont now, but it makes my evening not such a drag. im so exhausted from work. So i allow that.. right now i have in my refrigerator these things - berries (3 kind) fruit, butter lettuce, baby carrots, and 1 more bunch of spinach. i need to either buy less at a time, or make a lot of veg recipes haha.. i do like the flavor of the Steamers. I'm probably not a purist, but wayyy better than my 300 carbs a day i used to do.

oh by the way, me and my bff went to Michigan this weekend, stopped in Fennville, (SW Michigan about 2-3 hours ride from chicago) so he bought some fresh asparagus and said it was out of this world. if you are ever in michigan, their produce is magic. Fresh peaches in summer with juice dripping down your mouth and chin, and so sweet!! you should try some if you ever go there.

Thankx for your yummy ideas!

Old 05-11-2017, 07:34 PM

202 posts, read 128,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I work for the public, and witness that so may people seem to have their nose stuck in their cell phones.

Hey, who gives a crap what the Kardashians are doing, they don't give a crap about YOU, there's a life outside of that little screen people, nature, hiking trails, fresh air, things that are real. Get your noses out of your phones and into life. Maybe you'll lose a pound or two and stop having to use the motorized shopping carts at Wal-mart, or having to file for disability because your butt can't make it to a daily job. Our society today for the most part is absolutely pitiful health wise. Pitiful, and pathetic.
Maybe some people become handicapped by lifestyle choices, but there are also many people who suffer the misfortunes of fate, auto or combat injuries, genetic diseases and disorders, and are in wheel chairs at no fault of their own. Some diseases cause obesity through means other than stuffing their pie hole.

I think your judgmentalism may be in some cases undeserved.

I'll admit I have no sympathy for people who are handicapped due to laziness and sloth, but I hope in some cases they may be rehabilitated.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
You should understand that fresh vegetables are almost always more healthful than the same frozen vegetables?
That is not necessarily true. Frozen vegetables may have been fresher when they were frozen than the "fresh" vegetables at your grocery store, which may have traveled long distances to get there.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 PM

202 posts, read 128,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is not necessarily true. Frozen vegetables may have been fresher when they were frozen than the "fresh" vegetables at your grocery store, which may have traveled long distances to get there.
And sometimes vegetables suffer from the process of freezing.

I tend to focus more on convenience of being able to stock vegetables in my freezer and not have them spoil in my veggie drawer.

Few would argue that frozen vegetables are not as good as microwave convenience food.

In the end it all depends on whether you have availability of fresh produce at hand, and are able to purchase in the quantities you want NOW.

Myself, I often shop 3-4 days a week and plan my menu at the market.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.

Good summation!

I need to lose #30 myself.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:29 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
2 things:

1. Lack of exercise combined with high indoor computer usage
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup is snuck into every other food in this country, foods that traditionally have no added sugars are now packed full of HFC in order to make people crave their foods and become addicted.

Typical American foods that are now filled with HF corn syrup, besides almost EVERYTHING:

Meats, dairy like sour cream based dips, breads, pastas, tea, pasta sauces and tomato marinara, soups, powdered seasoning mixes, all kinds of fake health foods that are labelled "low fat". They are even adding it in powdered form now. I cant even think of everything, it is pretty much IN everything and the list is 1 mile long.
You know I wonder what 96 dollars worth of fresh food vs processed foods looks like.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
And sometimes vegetables suffer from the process of freezing.

I tend to focus more on convenience of being able to stock vegetables in my freezer and not have them spoil in my veggie drawer.

Few would argue that frozen vegetables are not as good as microwave convenience food.

In the end it all depends on whether you have availability of fresh produce at hand, and are able to purchase in the quantities you want NOW.

Myself, I often shop 3-4 days a week and plan my menu at the market.
Oh wow, i dont have time nor energy to shop 3-4 times a week

By the way, down one more pound; something is working! im so happy.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:28 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.
People without vices are just as lacking in virtues.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:34 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
[quote=per se;48127435]You know they have all these foods in the PRODUCE section (except the sun dried tomatoes which are probably packed in olive oil). I love sun dried tomatoes in olive oil as a recipe ingredient! ... Particularly in Italian food, and often goes well with prepared mustard and maybe some cream.

Another little known fact but true: Sometimes cooked vegetables are more healthful than their raw form! (Disclaimer: I always keep frozen veggies in stock for when I don't have fresh equivalents!)

Personally, I love eating raw asparagus! (You need a dip with that, and many fresh vegetables benefit from a dip or dressing.) What is a salad except a bunch of fresh veggies, chopped up, and served with a dressing?

Quote:
And somebody will gig me if I don't point out that uncooked rhubarb is poisonous.

Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances, including oxalic acid, which is a nephrotoxic and corrosive acid that is present in many plants. ... However, the leaves are believed to also contain an additional, unidentified toxin, which might be an anthraquinone glycoside (also known as senna glycosides).

Do You Eat Raw Rhubarb? Do you Need to Cook Rhubarb?

Old 05-12-2017, 10:52 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
About plateaus - I wish I had an explanation for them. Sometimes your body gets into a rut. Kind of like a "been there, don't that" sort of thing. I find that our bodies relish new challenges. When you do the same ol' same ol', whether it's diet or exercise, your body becomes "bored" for lack of a better word. I had a pretty tough plateau at the 30 lbs mark. Before the plateau, I had steadily lost each week but after the plateau, the scale didn't move despite the exercise and diet.

What broke the plateau was a week of grueling physical labor. I had helped my mom move, and that involved walking up five steep flights of stairs continuously. I was constantly moving. If I wasn't going up stairs, then I was packing. I rested for no more than fifteen minutes at a time. I also didn't eat much because I was so busy and I didn't have time. (Notice when you're occupied, random eating isn't an issue?) I noticed that my pants were far looser than when they were several days ago. When I returned to Texas, I found out that I had lost eight pounds. I never regained those pounds and I'm pretty certain it was mostly fat loss. After that, my metabolism got out of its rut and I started losing again. hit my first goal of 170 lbs (down from 221). I've set several other goals after that, and I made two of them. This final one isn't one that I have to do because I am out of the overweight zone (my BMI is 22.7-23.0). This one is more for vanity purposes. I may be plateauing a bit now, but if I am, I'm fine with my weight.

When you hit a plateau, you have to ask yourself if you really need (or want) to continue. You may not *need* to lose any more weight. Part of the weight loss journey is having realistic expectations and learning to love yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss