Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

I don't need to cut gluten because my weight loss plan is working already, I'm losing weight at a rate compatible with letting my skin adjust to my slimmer figure. Any faster and I'd probably accelerate wrinkles. I'll be at my target weight sometime later this year for certain. I consider ideal as middle of the BMI normal band, but I can already see that I probably won't look really good until I'm under mid-line.

I rotate breakfasts or skip entirely in a sort of unintentional interval fast. Your tumeric might be enough to benefit your health, I think it improves circulation. I have some tumeric supplements I was taking, suspected they might be causing stomach upset so I quit for a while.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

(As to why some people are so fat, people on here are right. Huge servings of food tend to make people eat more, junk food contains ingredients that are unhealthy and probably fattening. It's a matter of over eating. If I had to lose weight, I would just eat smaller servings until I got used to it. I would cut out any fattening snacks like potato chips, cheese, ice cream, cake. Eat lots of salads. If you have to eat out at a chain, go somewhere like Panera and get one of their salads. They are filling unless you have gotten used to enormous portions. People have to learn not to eat those huge servings. Take the rest home and have it the next day. Get used to not feeling stuffed.
This. One of my big hurdles was identifying the feeling of fullness vs. stuffed and realizing that being stuffed is actually overeating.

That is why this go around I was determined not to follow any sort of regime but instead learn how to eat. Identify portion sizes. Stop eating once my body signaled that it's full. Eating only one serving, not three, four, five. Balancing healthy things with not healthy things. Increasing my vegetable intake. Try to eat more homecooked food, but realizing that may not be possible all of the time and to just try and make the healthiest choices that I can.

Truth is we don't need to consume a lot of food. Everything is just out of whack - chicken breasts are huge, potatoes have become huge... we don't need to eat all of that. I feel satisfied on 1500-1600 calories (even though I can eat over 2000).

Probably the major shift that occurred with me was embracing an active lifestyle. As a middle aged woman, I'm repeatedly told that things will go downhill. Not encouraging.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
One of my big hurdles was identifying the feeling of fullness vs. stuffed and realizing that being stuffed is actually overeating. — Identify portion sizes. Stop eating once my body signaled that it's full. Eating only one serving, not three, four, five. Balancing healthy things with not healthy things. Increasing my vegetable intake. Try to eat more home cooked food, but realizing that may not be possible all of the time and to just try and make the healthiest choices that I can.
You can also eat more slowly because satiety lags some time and if you eat too fast you will overshoot this important signal.

Quote:
Truth is we don't need to consume a lot of food. Everything is just out of whack - chicken breasts are huge, potatoes have become huge... we don't need to eat all of that. I feel satisfied on 1500-1600 calories (even though I can eat over 2000).
I never measured my caloric intake, but I religiously use my kitchen scale to set serving sizes of important things like protein serving. I weigh vegetables just so I won't cook more than I want to eat, saves on waste.

Quote:
Probably the major shift that occurred with me was embracing an active lifestyle. As a middle aged woman, I'm repeatedly told that things will go downhill. Not encouraging.
That's the important lesson, and IMO one of the reasons things go downhill later in life: because we reduce physical activity at the same time our metabolism is slowing.

I work out frequently at the gym, getting far more exercise than in earlier years. I feel that my health state is improving with age at least at present.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't need to cut gluten because my weight loss plan is working already, I'm losing weight at a rate compatible with letting my skin adjust to my slimmer figure. Any faster and I'd probably accelerate wrinkles. I'll be at my target weight sometime later this year for certain. I consider ideal as middle of the BMI normal band, but I can already see that I probably won't look really good until I'm under mid-line.

I rotate breakfasts or skip entirely in a sort of unintentional interval fast. Your tumeric might be enough to benefit your health, I think it improves circulation. I have some tumeric supplements I was taking, suspected they might be causing stomach upset so I quit for a while.
I don't know but I would bet that turmeric could cause stomach upset in some people.

It's got such a mild taste that I add quite a bit with no issues. But I also take a turmeric supplement because I don't drink a smoothie with turmeric every morning.

Yay by the way for losing weight slowly - that's the best way to do it in my opinion!

Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 PM

That's why I've currently taken tumeric out of the rotation of my supplements. I may experiment with adding it back in later.

Losing weight slowly combines with building larger muscles, because it helps avoid loose skin.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:54 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Somebody should keep count of how many times that's been said in this topic.
Revenue - expenses = net income.

Calories out - calories in = weight control.

It tell my kids everyday, it never gets old.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:

Same here.

My goal weight is 175 (I'm 6' 3 1/4"), which would put me at a BMI of 21.73 and, IIRC, the middle of the normal band would be 21.75.

I'm currently down to 193 lbs (23.96 BMI).

I may get my fat % analyzed when I get down to 179-180.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
The new McDonald's ad gives a clue: They advertise breakfast sandwiches and end the ad with saying that with these breakfast items, you get a soft drink for just $1. I nearly vomited when I saw the ad. Who drinks that crap for breakfast?

Old 08-08-2018, 07:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
And a "small" soft drink is bigger than any drink we'd fix ourselves at home. My gosh, the large soft drinks are mind boggling at most places.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Same here... which would put me at a BMI of 21.73 and, IIRC, the middle of the normal band would be 21.75...

I may get my fat % analyzed when I get down to 179-180.
Very precise! I calculated 21.7 and left it at that. Note at that detail we are discussing maybe a pound.

I'm pretty sure when I hit mid-line I'll find I still need to lose a bit more to look good, perhaps several pounds. Mid-line is right for only a few. Many will look and feel better either higher or lower. BMI is just a screening tool.

I'll be looking at how my clothes fit at my waist line. The gym will take care of how my arms and legs look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss