Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,186 times

Advertisements

Running is a very high impact exercise that works all of the muscle of the body. Running is also a very versatile exercise that can be very challenging and intense depending on the type of training program of the individual.

The speed, environment, angle and time are all factors that will determine how effective the workout is for the individual. As a general rule, the faster a person runs, the more energy expenditure is needed, therefore the more calories that are burned, there is a higher probability of losing weight and improving fitness levels.

One of the main reasons why running is a popular choice among weight loss programs, fitness enthusiasts and military personnel is the fact that you only need basic gear. A good pair of running shorts and suitable running clothing and you're good to go.

Now when it comes to the actual running, one must understand that the type of running training that you participate in is entirely down to the individual's current fitness level and body shape and health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 12:15 PM

68 posts, read 43,301 times
Best way to lose weight is to stop eating so much.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:43 PM

1,491 posts, read 873,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecrescent View Post
Running is a very high impact exercise that works all of the muscle of the body. Running is also a very versatile exercise that can be very challenging and intense depending on the type of training program of the individual.

The speed, environment, angle and time are all factors that will determine how effective the workout is for the individual. As a general rule, the faster a person runs, the more energy expenditure is needed, therefore the more calories that are burned, there is a higher probability of losing weight and improving fitness levels.

One of the main reasons why running is a popular choice among weight loss programs, fitness enthusiasts and military personnel is the fact that you only need basic gear. A good pair of running shorts and suitable running clothing and you're good to go.

Now when it comes to the actual running, one must understand that the type of running training that you participate in is entirely down to the individual's current fitness level and body shape and health.
Also very hard on the joints!

Not the best way

Old 10-08-2020, 08:53 AM

22,602 posts, read 24,422,675 times
HA, I will glom-off of what the people above me posted...........clean up your diet and you will not have to pound your body with running.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:24 AM

10,941 posts, read 5,647,150 times
Losing weight is primarily about eating, unless you run marthons. But running helps. Big time.

The only time I had 6-pack abs was when I was running 18 mile a week. Diet didn't do it. Weight training was helpful, but didn't do it. With 18 miles a week, the fat on my belly finally came off and my abs had some definition. We are not talking Apollo here, but I was glad to see it. But that was in my 20s and it didn't last.

You can't outrun a high calorie diet unless you are truly an athlete and just constantly training with unusually ample muscle mass, so diet is always critical.

It is funny. So many people swearing by walking, yet so many walkers you see are fat. You don't see a lot of fat joggers. They tend to be less fat. What does that tell you?

Yes, running is an excellent aerobic activity and really burns the metabolism, extending to your stationary hours. Horrible for the joints, but great for fitness.

My favorite all time was jump rope. Yep, guys can jump rope. I won't say it is as good as jogging, but it was way better for my joints. Jumping rope, my feet barely cleared the ground. I got my arms into it too, unlike jogging, but mostly it was just so much softer on my joints. It is just bouncing compared to the slamming I did jogging. I wasn't quite flat footed but it was really tough to consistently jog hitting my heel and rolling through. I just never got that smooth. Of course, running on pavement is the Worst.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:59 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,084,633 times
Exercise does many things for the body, if not running, power walking or an exercise bike would be good idea. - link1, link2

1 or 2 days a week of HIIT training is also helpful for building your metabolism. Takes 15 minutes, go slow 30 seconds on your exercise bike and then go fast 30 seconds. Alternate for 15 minutes.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:18 AM

1,462 posts, read 960,738 times
I agree that running is a good exercise to help with weight loss. It can be hard on the body. Before CV19, I would run on a treadmill at my works fitness center which does have some shock absorbing benefits compared to outside pavement. But for the last 7 months I have been working from home so had to run outside. For those that are on the heavy side they should start out slow until some weight comes off. But the only way that can happen is by reducing caloric intake in addition to exercise.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:33 AM

29,661 posts, read 34,166,724 times
Why does the OP read like someone copied and pasted the definition of running from an encyclopedia?

Old 10-08-2020, 11:46 AM

215 posts, read 140,931 times
running works if your young and not of heavy build, it causes damage to your joints over time when your older

low impact exercise like walking / biking / hiking / swimming is best, especially if your older, you have to adjust the type of exercise to your age

I wouldnt recommend running marathons at age 50 - 60 , your body isnt young anymore, bones become more fragile unless you want to risk damaging your knees, hips, etc.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:52 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,433,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why does the OP read like someone copied and pasted the definition of running from an encyclopedia?
There are a number of these that appear in the health forum. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss