Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:20 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times

Advertisements

I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:28 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
2 things:

1. Lack of exercise combined with high indoor computer usage
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup is snuck into every other food in this country, foods that traditionally have no added sugars are now packed full of HFC in order to make people crave their foods and become addicted.

Typical American foods that are now filled with HF corn syrup, besides almost EVERYTHING:

Meats, dairy like sour cream based dips, breads, pastas, tea, pasta sauces and tomato marinara, soups, powdered seasoning mixes, all kinds of fake health foods that are labelled "low fat". They are even adding it in powdered form now. I cant even think of everything, it is pretty much IN everything and the list is 1 mile long.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
2 things:

1. Lack of exercise combined with high indoor computer usage
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup is snuck into every other food in this country, foods that traditionally have no added sugars are now packed full of HFC in order to make people crave their foods and become addicted.

Typical American foods that are now filled with HF corn syrup, besides almost EVERYTHING:

Meats, dairy like sour cream based dips, breads, pastas, tea, pasta sauces and tomato marinara, soups, powdered seasoning mixes, all kinds of fake health foods that are labelled "low fat". They are even adding it in powdered form now. I cant even think of everything, it is pretty much IN everything and the list is 1 mile long.
I agree with you.
But the HFCS argument is superfluous if Americans were to prepare and cook their food from scratch like they used to.
I can make a beef stew to feed a family of six that costs less than a Big Mac and Fries with a half-gallon cup of sugared water laughingly called soda.
Laziness and stupidity is what drives obesity in this country.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:54 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I agree with you.
But the HFCS argument is superfluous if Americans were to prepare and cook their food from scratch like they used to.
I can make a beef stew to feed a family of six that costs less than a Big Mac and Fries with a half-gallon cup of sugared water laughingly called soda.
Laziness and stupidity is what drives obesity in this country.
I agree, but they do sneak it into so much its hard to avoid it unless you constantly read labels. Millions of people are consuming it without even knowing it because they don't read every label religiously.

I cook my own healthy meals, using mostly healthy, whole foods and I still end up with HFC in my foods sometimes simply because I let my guard down and didn't read every label - and it ends up in my pepperoni, or veggie dip seasoning etc. simply because I assumed it wouldn't be in there.

I am in a bad habit of looking in other people's carts at the grocery store, and I am also usually shocked at what people purposely DO choose to buy and consume.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:56 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Americans need to learn how to cook homemade meals again. The slow-cooking crock pot is one of our greatest inventions which more people should use.

Our overly processed food has turned us sugar/salt/fat addicts = a nation of fat, sick, tired, unhappy, apathetic voters/slave-wage workers = rising healthcare costs = $$$ for the elitists in charge.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:42 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Eating healthy is definitely a challenge. I'm a person that reads the labels on everything and it is often depressing what you find in the ingredient lists on food that many people would consider healthy. The thing with reading labels is that it is very easy to do, but I don't think many people realize how unhealthy certain ingredients are anyway and most people don't think twice about ingesting ingredients that they cannot even pronounce.

I definitely agree that people need to get back to cooking for scratch. I've been doing Whole30 and I'm on day 27 right now. My husband and I have made every meal from scratch for all 27 days. At this point, I'm used to it and it's routine. A routine I hope to continue with after the 30 days are up. Convenience foods smell and taste gross if you have had good meals made from scratch for awhile.

Going to Walmart is always a motivational experience for me. I don't go there often, but every time I am there I'm reminded of what I don't want to become and it motivates me to go home and cook.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Your story is very sad....your observation in the check out line.

This is terrible.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:39 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Watch the people load their carts up with wheat derived products and make a note of weight. Ditch all wheat and weight goes down by quite a bit.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:00 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,204 times
For a while now I've been label reading and cutting out as much processed food as possible. Start reading labels and you will be truly astounded, diet bars 150 calories for a bar 3 inches long and packed with additives and preservatives, the ones that claim to be natural aren't much better.
Low calorie or light soups with high sodium (salt) contents

I once worked on a landscaping job part of which was tending a 1 acre vegetable garden grown specifically to donate healthy food to the Manna Project, twice a week we would take fresh produce to the food pantry, after a while the manager there talked to us and said they were having to throw quite a bit of the food away because it just wasn't being taken by the patrons. So we talked to a few of the patrons ourselves and found out most didn't know how to cook fresh vegetables so would pass on them.
Our solution was to get a single ring stovetop, a couple of pots and pans and hold classes on how to cook green beans, broccoli, corn and even potatoes. The amazement from most the patrons on how easy it was to cook these items was amazing. I think with the lowering of standards in schools most of which do not see any value in teaching cooking any more and parents working multiple jobs not having time to teach kids to cook has left us with a generation (or more) of young adults with no idea how to cook proper food for themselves or their families which is just plain sad

Old 02-01-2015, 03:11 AM

To me it's all about public perception of obesity.
People who drink and/or smoke are treated as pariahs but hardly a word is said in criticism of over-eaters who place just as much strain on our healthcare system.
And parents who allow their children to become obese are simply guilty of neglect and abuse and should be treated as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.