Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:21 AM

664 posts, read 807,220 times

Advertisements

It's a combination of all the chemicals we're eating AND not getting enough sleep.

I've lived it and learned it.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:32 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I counted 42 different high-sugar breakfast cereals at my local Wal-Mart today. 42 !
The least-busiest aisle was produce and the biggest queue was at the pre-cooked lunch counter.
The 300lbs lady in front of me at the check-out was so fat she was in a motorized wheelchair provided by the store to help her shop because walking was too much of a strain.
She had her son with her who I would say was about 14-years-old and he must have weighed 200lbs.
Her final bill came to $96 dollars - there wasn't a single piece of vegetable or fruit among what she'd bought and virtually everything was food which didn't need any preparation other than opening a packet.
I guestimated 75% of the people in the store were obese.
There just doesn't seem to be a lot of shame about being fat in America these days.
So.......why exactly were you in the evil cereal aisle if you don't eat the evil cereal? No reason to be there if you don't use it. Are you that bored at the grocery that you are compelled to stick your nose into everyone else's cart to see how evil their eating habits are?

Tend to your life and let others tend to theirs and quit being so nosy and judgemental.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:55 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So.......why exactly were you in the evil cereal aisle if you don't eat the evil cereal? No reason to be there if you don't use it. Are you that bored at the grocery that you are compelled to stick your nose into everyone else's cart to see how evil their eating habits are?

Tend to your life and let others tend to theirs and quit being so nosy and judgemental.
Methinks thou dost protest too much. The OP was in the cereal aisle because he was curious about the number of high-sugar cereals the store carried and he made a count of them. I found the information interesting.

Commenting on societal trends which affect us all is not "nosy and judgmental". If you wish to put your head in the sand with regard to rather frightening national trends, so be it. But the OP has a legitimate concern and wrote a legitimate commentary.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
So many of the foods at the grocery store are bad for us. Restaurants serve huge portion sizes. We also lack the education of what to eat and how to prepare it. Many people are not growing up today learning how to cook. People are busy and they want convenience. People are moving less and sitting more.

All these excuses lead to bad eating choices and habits.

People have to want to make a change before they will change and then they need to learn how to change it. It amazes me how some people really don't know how to eat healthy. As for exercise I was amazed when my 36 year old(healthy and thin) stepdaughter told me this 2 weeks ago…."did you know you should do cardio 3 times a week" really I've known we "should" do that since I was 15. She is not a dumb girl…go figure. Why don't people know the basics for healthy eating and exercise?

I'm not saying I am any better. Right now I could lose about 15 pounds which I am not happy about. But I know it and I know what I need to do. Last spring an overweight woman was talking to my husband and I. We told her we were watching what we ate. She said "why, you don't need to lose weight" my husband told her "you need to fix it when you see the scale numbers goes up and keep the weight gain at bay" and she said "well I'm not giving up what I like to eat" and there you have it.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I agree, but they do sneak it into so much its hard to avoid it unless you constantly read labels. Millions of people are consuming it without even knowing it because they don't read every label religiously.

I cook my own healthy meals, using mostly healthy, whole foods and I still end up with HFC in my foods sometimes simply because I let my guard down and didn't read every label - and it ends up in my pepperoni, or veggie dip seasoning etc. simply because I assumed it wouldn't be in there.

I am in a bad habit of looking in other people's carts at the grocery store, and I am also usually shocked at what people purposely DO choose to buy and consume.
You don't have to read labels if you make all your food from whole ingredients.

This is why I say lack of health boils down to laziness.
It's the preponderance of prepared, processed food that is the problem.
Calorie-dense and nutrition-poor.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

I dunno about you, but the rolled oats are in the cereal aisle at our store.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I try not to make too many assumptions about what is in other people's shopping cart. You give me the side-eye when passing by me in Wal-Mart... not knowing that the crackers, pretzels, cereal, and (gasp!) Sunny-D in my cart are for three kids and a husband, for the entire month. You won't see any fresh produce because the selection at my Wal-Mart is awful... and my next stop is my usual grocery store for wholesome, healthy foods.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I try not to make too many assumptions about what is in other people's shopping cart. You give me the side-eye when passing by me in Wal-Mart... not knowing that the crackers, pretzels, cereal, and (gasp!) Sunny-D in my cart are for three kids and a husband, for the entire month. You won't see any fresh produce because the selection at my Wal-Mart is awful... and my next stop is my usual grocery store for wholesome, healthy foods.
One might look at my cart at Safeway and jump to conclusions as well. I rarely buy produce from there. I have 4 teenage girls so the ice cream and cookies are for them (they are all in great shape and active - no one is overweight).
The market across the street is where I buy produce and meat and fish. Locally grown produce and grass fed beef and very fresh fish - so its a no brainer. But they are too expensive to buy the staples.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I get what you are saying, but we don't buy any of that crap, let alone Sunny D.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:23 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
at my local Wal-Mart today.
That right there is the most telling statement in your post. No, I would not expect to see a busy produce section at Walmart. The health conscious are not exactly their target audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss