Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 05:48 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
That reminds me of an incident I had years back...
We were a really young family- getting the kids together to go out to eat was a major feat, lol
We were at Old Country Buffet & I had my youngest (who was about 2 at the time) in my arms.
I was next in line for the fried chicken-
he loved chicken & mashed potatoes at that age.

As I said- I was next in line w/ him in one arm & an empty plate in the other.
As my turn came-- I kid you not--
A humongous 400 lb. beast of a lady cuts in front of us & empties the fried chicken onto her plate!
It had to be 8 pieces---
I wanted to punch her in the face, lol

But as usual I took the high road.....
I noticed as she went to her table that her obese family was noticeably low class, & gross looking.
Some people should be banned from buffets, lol
Btw, I don't eat at those kinds of places anymore.
I'll leave that to the lifelong whales.
Fat people like that are ignorant, repulsive & disgusting.
Speaking of low class...for a while I worked near a shopping center in a suburb not particularly known for its classiness, so to speak...I took transit there and it was scary, the amount of very young moms, teens and early twenties, with young kids that I've witnessed there and the sort of stuff I'd see them feeding their babies and toddlers. Many were overweight themselves, loud, and trashy-looking as h*ll. I remember a young girl feeding Doritos to a baby in a stroller that couldn't have been more than 18 months old . Another one kept shoving a lollipop at her toddler, the kid didn't particularly want it - she kept turning away but the girl insisted and literally shoved it into her hands I won't even mention the number of pop bottles or unnaturally-colored liquids in baby bottles that I've seen those kids drink. I've even seen one give her mocha frappuccino drink to her two year old! Seeing those kids being fed McDonalds was basically an improvement over the majority of things they seemed to eat. The girls didn't seem entirely poverty-stricken, either - certainly not affluent but they seemed to have enough to wander around the mall and spend on cheap trashy clothing and junk food, they could've easily used the same money to get some quality food for their kids (that was in Canada where the social assistance programs are very good). Just unbelievable

Old 03-06-2015, 01:46 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Calories IN < Calories OUT. Nothing else matters.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:23 PM

599 posts, read 693,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
That reminds me of an incident I had years back...
We were a really young family- getting the kids together to go out to eat was a major feat, lol
We were at Old Country Buffet & I had my youngest (who was about 2 at the time) in my arms.
I was next in line for the fried chicken-
he loved chicken & mashed potatoes at that age.

As I said- I was next in line w/ him in one arm & an empty plate in the other.
As my turn came-- I kid you not--
A humongous 400 lb. beast of a lady cuts in front of us & empties the fried chicken onto her plate!
It had to be 8 pieces---
I wanted to punch her in the face, lol

But as usual I took the high road.....
I noticed as she went to her table that her obese family was noticeably low class, & gross looking.
Some people should be banned from buffets, lol
Btw, I don't eat at those kinds of places anymore.
I'll leave that to the lifelong whales.
Fat people like that are ignorant, repulsive & disgusting.
i see a lot of fat people bashing, lower class people bashing on this thread. Haven't you guys ever think about the GMO in 90% of products in the US that are making these people overweight craving more and more bad foods. Foreign countries overseas wouldn't dare accept or feed their people GMO, but America will. America needs to fight for the labeling of all GMO products and reducing the prices on organic foods and fresh fruit and vegetables.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:50 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
Americans are too fat because they eat too much.

Right to the point.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:56 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Americans need to learn how to cook homemade meals again. The slow-cooking crock pot is one of our greatest inventions which more people should use.

Our overly processed food has turned us sugar/salt/fat addicts = a nation of fat, sick, tired, unhappy, apathetic voters/slave-wage workers = rising healthcare costs = $$$ for the elitists in charge.

Actually Americans need to learn how to tend to their own lives, their own choices and keep their opinions to themselves about how other Americans live their lives and the choices they make.

None of you have any idea what the situation is for anyone you consider fat and lazy.
Toss the stone at your own glass house right after you sweep off your own front porch.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:33 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually Americans need to learn how to tend to their own lives, their own choices and keep their opinions to themselves about how other Americans live their lives and the choices they make.

None of you have any idea what the situation is for anyone you consider fat and lazy.
Toss the stone at your own glass house right after you sweep off your own front porch.
Well when the choices of some folks make end up affecting others than something needs to be said and hopefully done about it.
Here is a fun fact -

[Dr. Dietz] Obesity costs this country about $150 billion a year, or almost 10 percent of the national medical budget. Approximately one in three adults and one in six children are obese. Obesity is epidemic in the United States today and a major cause of death, attributable to heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
[Announcer] CDC Presents: Health Matters.
http://www.cdc.gov/CDCTV/ObesityEpid...tyEpidemic.pdf

When you see obese people filling their carts with junk I think it is fair game to judge them. The saddest thing for me to see are obese kids, and more often than not the parents are obese too so that means they are passing their deadly habits on to their kids. I am sorry if tender feelings are hurt but the truth often does.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Well when the choices of some folks make end up affecting others than something needs to be said and hopefully done about it.
Here is a fun fact -

[Dr. Dietz] Obesity costs this country about $150 billion a year, or almost 10 percent of the national medical budget. Approximately one in three adults and one in six children are obese. Obesity is epidemic in the United States today and a major cause of death, attributable to heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.

When you see obese people filling their carts with junk I think it is fair game to judge them. The saddest thing for me to see are obese kids, and more often than not the parents are obese too so that means they are passing their deadly habits on to their kids. I am sorry if tender feelings are hurt but the truth often does.
Totally agree with you. Also, reading the anecdote about the obese woman emptying all the fried chicken onto her plate after cutting in line, I have to say that I stopped going to buffets years ago due to issues like that. Not to mention that most buffets only have the lowest quality crap food anyway.

My husband and I were just talking about this - it seems that people started becoming more obese around the 1980s - clothes got looser and boxier and people gained more weight to fill them up. Or perhaps they already were gaining, so clothes had to accommodate. HFCS started being added to food instead of sugar, portions became supersized, people started eating jumbo muffins for breakfast, stuffed crust pizza and breadsticks with ranch sauce, etc. etc. And they quit exercising.

A LOT of this if not most of this is all about choice and control, so there are really almost no excuses. When I was growing up, obese people were way in the minority, almost no "fat kids" in school. We ate healthy small portions, and had real gym class. People need to eat less and move a lot more.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Here is a fun fact -

This fat person fills her cart with vegetables, fruit, low fat dairy, and lean meats and beans - no starchy carbs - and have watched my grocery bill double (and sometimes triple) from what it was when I was the fat person on chemo who looked healthy but had to use an electric scooter to get around the grocery store filling up on frozen and boxed crap because that was all I could afford as a very ill young person. People judged me - I had some of the WORST things said to me while I was at my sickest because people took one look at me and assumed that I was disabled due to my weight. Do you know how horrible it is to come out of the grocery store to find a nasty note about your weight on your car windshield because you used a handicapped parking space? Don't make assumptions.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:41 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This fat person fills her cart with vegetables, fruit, low fat dairy, and lean meats and beans - no starchy carbs - and have watched my grocery bill double (and sometimes triple) from what it was when I was the fat person on chemo who looked healthy but had to use an electric scooter to get around the grocery store filling up on frozen and boxed crap because that was all I could afford as a very ill young person. People judged me - I had some of the WORST things said to me while I was at my sickest because people took one look at me and assumed that I was disabled due to my weight. Do you know how horrible it is to come out of the grocery store to find a nasty note about your weight on your car windshield because you used a handicapped parking space? Don't make assumptions.
You are the exception and not the rule. And people who put nasty notes on cars in handicapped parking spaces are idiots. The MAJORITY, like 90% of obese people are that way through personal bad choices. I am not heartless I am realistic and it really pisses me off that people write off their health.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I think it all started with supersizing of meals. I don't remember when that started but there never used to be so many obese people. They we got double whoppers, or whatever they are, and bacon cheeseburgers and all sorts of fattening super sized fast foods.

It seems to be a combination of fast foods and super sizing. Then the regular restaurants thought they had to compete with the fast food place so they started serving huge portions. Or maybe they thought that if they gave people more food, they could charge people more money for it.

The few times that I eat at a MacDonald's I get the kids' Happy Meal--the hamburger is the size they USED TO BE! I get the apple slices with it and they are only preserved with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) so that's not so unhealthy either. The kids' sizes are the size the adult sizes USED TO BE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss