Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM

202 posts, read 127,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
You know I wonder what 96 dollars worth of fresh food vs processed foods looks like.
Like $96 worth of food? Both ways? Or more likely $50 worth of food that they charged you $96 for. (Obviously I have issues about high grocery prices!)

SRSLY, the fresh food would be the stuff in plastic bags, the processed foods would come in cardboard, environmentally unfriendly containers. I wonder if it would help to eat the cardboard containers, to add roughage to your diet? Or worse, what if the processed food containers are actually better dietary choices than the food they contain? LOL, I bet you never saw that one coming!

Makes me wonder about the fad to outlaw supermarket bags to be replaced by customer owned, recyclable cloth bags. The markets can't give you plastic bags for your purchase, yet produce bags are free and plentiful?

Is there something wrong with that logic?

Actually paper bags make a lot more sense than plastic bags. Plastic bags will still be here long after mankind has disappeared from the planet. Paper bags are merely wood products and may disappear within a scant few months.

Noting that yes, I understand that some plastic bags are made out of biodegradable plastics. Perhaps they should use these in the produce section if they don't already do so.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Oh wow, i dont have time nor energy to shop 3-4 times a week
They are short stop-overs on the way home, quick check-out line, perhaps 6-7 items, not shopping marathons!

Quote:
By the way, down one more pound; something is working! im so happy.
Move to England and you'll lose lots of pounds! ... I understand that their cost of living is much higher than here in US or Canada.

Maybe if you paid more pounds for your food you'd be encouraged to eat less food? ... Given a few shillings more or less.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
People without vices are just as lacking in virtues.
My handyman has plenty of vices. He has a few virtues too when he wears a tight T-shirt! Still can't tell if he has a 6-pack, but he obviously doesn't drink 6-packs with his dinner! Wouldn't you consider nice biceps as a virtue?

Old 05-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances, including oxalic acid, which is a nephrotoxic and corrosive acid that is present in many plants. ... However, the leaves are believed to also contain an additional, unidentified toxin, which might be an anthraquinone glycoside (also known as senna glycosides).
Rhubarb pie is one of my favorites! I think I'll continue baking them.

I'll save the fresh leaves to make salads for PPL I don't like! (Not really!)

Actually I like everybody except those born with the snark gene. Oops! That rules out about 1/4 of C-D! J/K

Old 05-12-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
About plateaus - I wish I had an explanation for them. Sometimes your body gets into a rut. Kind of like a "been there, don't that" sort of thing. I find that our bodies relish new challenges. When you do the same ol' same ol', whether it's diet or exercise, your body becomes "bored" for lack of a better word. I had a pretty tough plateau at the 30 lbs mark. Before the plateau, I had steadily lost each week but after the plateau, the scale didn't move despite the exercise and diet.
Or like one of the articles I quoted recently, you may become bored and lose your focus, perhaps unconsciously drifting back into your old ways. Then there is also the concept that those first pounds you lose may be water pounds. It can be expected that at least one plateau is the "lost all the water I'll lose" one. That's when you need to add more exercise or adjust your diet, or just stick it out if you already have the right combo, and have faith that your diet/exercise plan will work given enough time and perseverance.

Quote:
What broke the plateau was a week of grueling physical labor. I had helped my mom move, and that involved walking up five steep flights of stairs continuously. I was constantly moving. If I wasn't going up stairs, then I was packing. I rested for no more than fifteen minutes at a time. I also didn't eat much because I was so busy and I didn't have time. (Notice when you're occupied, random eating isn't an issue?)...
You've brought up two important concepts:

(1) It's difficult to nibble food while you're seriously exercising.

(2) And one I forgot to add, that serious exercise suppresses hunger for a period of time, perhaps a half hour or 1-2 hours. Eating after exercise (but not too soon) might help lose weight, provided that you don't get hungry later and make it all up, and more.

Quote:
This final one isn't one that I have to do because I am out of the overweight zone (my BMI is 22.7-23.0). This one is more for vanity purposes. I may be plateauing a bit now, but if I am, I'm fine with my weight.
Your BMI is excellent! You are well within the normal range, particularly considering that the raw numbers don't take into account body types. All you need now is to look at yourself and ask yourself if you are satisfied with your appearance. Keep that normal BMI and decide when you are happy with your appearance and you are done! After that just keep doing what you've been doing!

Quote:
When you hit a plateau, you have to ask yourself if you really need (or want) to continue. You may not *need* to lose any more weight. Part of the weight loss journey is having realistic expectations and learning to love yourself.
As I said above, I totally believe the BMI but also note that there are different body types and one number doesn't fit all. IMO the goal should be (1) get within the normal BMI range, and (2) fine tune it to your appearance, and possibly seek advice from your friends or physician.

I scoff advice given by gym trainers. Many of them seem to subscribe to the belief, "If you aren't ripped you aren't done." Nice biceps, abs and gluteus are... nice... but if your muscles have muscles on top of them you might be succumbing to what I call Schwartznegger complex! Most women would consider that over-ripped!

It also depends on your intentions. Good health? Out-do your buddies? Impress the opposite sex? Myself, I'm out for good health, but I also view healthy people as very attractive! But there comes a point IMO where body building becomes an excess; too much of a good thing.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:46 PM

Just to add a thought that occurred to me yesterday... Men and women are different. Yeah, I know, duh?

But what I mean is that women have a far more difficult time changing BMR (metabolic weight) through exercise because due to different hormones (we women are testosterone challenged and estrogen doesn't build muscles) so women are less able to benefit from the effects of BMR changes due to increased muscle mass. That does not mean that women should not exercise—far from it—but that women just have to work harder at the entire concept of exercise + diet = good health and a good BMI.

Funny, one of my girlfriends does develop larger muscles with exercise. I don't know why that, but she looks good and not boyish at all. Sadly, she also tends to add on gluteus too. What the hey, at least she is comfortable when she's sitting on a hard chair!

Old 05-12-2017, 05:36 PM

9,882 posts, read 9,486,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post
They are short stop-overs on the way home, quick check-out line, perhaps 6-7 items, not shopping marathons!

Move to England and you'll lose lots of pounds! ... I understand that their cost of living is much higher than here in US or Canada.

Maybe if you paid more pounds for your food you'd be encouraged to eat less food? ... Given a few shillings more or less.
Sounds nice living there! Europeans eat food differently than Americans, as a culture, like making multiple trips to the store like you said LOL im lucky that im even going grocery shopping once a week and buying enough stuff. When i lose more weight i'll probably have more energy to do more things. I do have a little store on the way home if i run out of stuff.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:42 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,481,196 times
Dinner for four tonight.
A bag of frozen prawns,pasta,onion,garlic,eggs and some broccolli.
Took 10 minutes to buy,20 minutes to make.
Easy peasy.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:54 PM

9,882 posts, read 9,486,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Dinner for four tonight.
A bag of frozen prawns,pasta,onion,garlic,eggs and some broccolli.
Took 10 minutes to buy,20 minutes to make.
Easy peasy.
What do you do with the eggs? is it an omelette?

Old 05-12-2017, 10:06 PM

983 posts, read 1,170,599 times
Quote:
What do you do with the eggs? is it an omelette?
Guessing just a single egg or 2 scambled into the mix

Kinda like egg is incorporated into fried rice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss