Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 05:36 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't get why you think milk is a problem. Please explain. About 2-3 days a week I have milk and cereal. Whenever I have trouble sleeping and wake up middle of the night I drink a glass of warm milk. On occasion I make White, Bechamel or Mornay sauces which are all milk or cream based.
Nothing is a problem in moderation.
What I'm talking about is people wishing to kick-start a healthy eating regime to lose weight reasonably quickly.
It's basically low carb,no sugar,no booze.
Lots of fruit,vegetables,lean protein.
Once you've achieved your weight goal there's no reason why you can incorporate anything in your daily intake provided it's reasonable.
Remember the motto - everything in moderation including moderation.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
What I'm talking about is people wishing to kick-start a healthy eating regime to lose weight reasonably quickly.
Once you've achieved your weight goal there's no reason why you can incorporate anything in your daily intake provided it's reasonable.
Good advice except the "lots of fruit". Common fruits like bananas and grapes are loaded with sugar and that will add way too many carbs. Fruits like tomatoes and apples are better.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:31 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
I am in no way anywhere near my healthy weight. My Weight Gurus scale says I've lost 5 pounds this month, but I bought it in January and it says I've actually gained 2.2 pounds overall. There is the confounding factor that I was sick over a month with the coughing flu and gained a lot of weight (no workouts) during that time. I'm only now recovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Good advice except the "lots of fruit". Common fruits like bananas and grapes are loaded with sugar and that will add way too many carbs. Fruits like tomatoes and apples are better.
Lots of fruit = some kinds of fruit have lots of sugar or lots of carbs. Just like vegetables there are good fruits and bad fruits if you are on a diet. I may be lucky that I just don't like fruits. I used to add a banana to my milk and cereal but IIRC bananas have lots of carbs.

One good thing, the way I'm headed it appears I will pass my first January weigh-in headed south within the next week and achieve (finally) an actual weight loss for the year. My weight loss has accelerated the last week or two and I'm not quite sure what changed except maybe I'm just finally over my cough, maybe finally hitting the gym more and maybe eating slightly less.

I do a keto dinner about 1-2 times a week, just a steak and maybe asparagus and a couple glasses of wine. I even snack on salty stuff like nuts and pretzels before dinner. I could totally change my diet if I were smart, quit alcohol, yet if the combination of my diet and exercise are resulting in me weighing less and looking better, and considering that I'm eating a nutritionally good diet in terms of healthy foods, then why bother? I'm headed the right direction and if I keep doing what I'm doing I'll probably hit the normal range of BMI by end of summer. I guess I'm saying it doesn't matter what it is as long as what you are doing is working.

Another horrible dietary sin I'm making is that many days I eat just nothing until dinner other than my salty snacks while I'm cooking dinner. Maybe I'm example of doing everything wrong but getting to the right place anyway.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:47 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Congratulations,you've obviously found an eating regime the suits you.
What I was suggesting is that for many people to lose weight reducing the most calorific things like carbs,dairy and alcohol and replacing them with more of the less calorific things like salad,veggies and lean protein is a good way to start.
I happen to like brocolli and chicken - having them baked with garlic,herbs and a sprinkling of freshly-grated parmesan is a delight.
And I too like chicken oyster thighs with the skin removed,covered in a hot sauce and baked - a really healthy alternative to deep-fried wings.
Yes, I have.

Carbohydrates have the same number of calories per gram as protein. Carbs don't have to be high in calories either. One normal sized sweet potato is 180. That's pretty low, and it's packed with vitamins, minerals and all sorts of healthful stuff. Even a 3/4 cup of cooked rice is only 160 calories. Pasta is 190-200, hardly a gut buster. Even snack-wise, 30 mini pretzels is 120 calories.

The problem arises when people overeat and in that event, anything can be calorific (except possibly veggies).

Since I watch my calories, I am very much attuned to what gives me the biggest bang for my caloric buck. If more people ate whole potatoes (instead of fries), whole wheat (instead of bleached flour white products), and ate smaller portions of things that don't provide much nutrition (candy, for example) then we wouldn't be having this problem. Salad and veggies are nice, but they provide a false sense of satiety. They are filled with water, hence giving you the illusion of being full, but you don't stay full. When I eat meat and veggies, I am hungry two hours later. Really, only fat provides that full feeling if we're going by macros alone since it has 9 cals/g. however, I can't stomach constant fatty meals. when I eat a meal that contains a starch, veggie, and a protein source I am full for hours.

A lot of the examples you give are the worst examples that people should do without. Sorry, I do not agree that wonderful things like sweet potatoes and fruit are bad for you and are the same as fries and hamburger buns. "Carbs" comprises of a variety of things.

This whole anti-carb thing is nuts.

I teach my children to eat fruit, not candy. To eat sweet potatoes, not chips. Yet as adults, we're supposed to do away with these things because they're now "bad"?

This is the anti-fat movement all over again, only this time it's carbs. Why can't we own our waistlines? I got fat because I ate too much and moved too little. I ate tons of protein, carbs, fat, whatever. I rode a bus instead of walking a mile. How did I lose weight? I decided to practice portion control, focus on eating mostly healthy things (while relegating unhealthy choices to "treats"), and most importantly I joined a gym and put in some sweat equity. I've openly posted my photos before and after so that people can see the difference. It didn't lose the 70 lbs quickly (took a year) but it also hasn't come back on, which is far more important to me. Most importantly, I have a sustainable lifestyle that doesn't have me reverting back to bad habits.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:01 AM

Yet sometimes when I am too lazy to cook I throw some left over protein (steak, chicken, shrimp) over salad with a bunch of things like onion, tomato, radishes, mushrooms, etc. and croutons and normal (not diet) dressing, and I'm just fine don't get hungry later.

I think my digestive system is just used to knowing that once dinner hits it, it may get no more food until the next evening. I skip breakfast (and lunch) more often than not, and sometimes eat breakfast just because I feel I should eat something. Breakfast is usually milk and cereal, or 2 poached eggs.

I think my diet is working, but for all the wrong reasons. I do eat healthy foods, and my dinners are reasonable size.

Last edited by Lovehound; 06-05-2018 at 10:10 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I think that exercise increases muscle tissue and burns fat, but I think the effect is only slight, and that in the end workouts make you feel good, feeling good can last a day or more, burning the calories can offset maybe eating slightly too much.

I gotta tell you this story from my gym.

It's the inverted leg pushes up on weight machine. Picture V shape where one side is the 45 degree angle of your back rest, and the other side is the 45 degree angle with a sliding truck that carries the weights. Your feet push up on a platform. The weights are at rest at top. You push up, unlock the locks, then do maybe 10 reps of lowering the weights down until your knees almost touch your chest, then push the weight back up again. 10 reps and you click in the locks to hold the weights up there. (I really like it.)

At the time I was using one 45 pound weight on each side, total 90 pounds.

So one day I walk over and the machine is busy, it's this petite woman no taller than I, if even. She's using 3 weights on each side, total of 270 pounds. She couldn't have weighed more than 110-120. As I watched it was just blowing my mind, because her legs were a lot smaller than mine. Even discounting I probably have more fat, I'm pretty sure her actual muscles were smaller than mine too!

So she gets done and she's got her music plugged in her ears, and I signaled her to unplug one for a second. Then I told her this:

"If I ever meet up with you in a dark alley, I'm going to drop my wallet and run like hell, and hope you can't catch me!" We had a good laugh and she went on to her next station as I took off the extra weights. (These days I use either 140 or 180 pounds. The 180 is 2 weights on each side, she was using 3 weights on each side.)

So Mikala, the moral is that women can get strong muscles but they don't build up as much muscle tissue as men. Since they don't build up as much muscle tissue they get less effect of the principle that muscle tissue burns more calories at idle than fat tissue does.

And another moral is that men better watch out for small women lest the men get kicked on their you know what!

I really like my gym (LA Fitness) because everybody there is just so positive and into improving their health, everybody there is doing a healthy activity. The staff is great too, they are so helpful and pleasant to talk to. Everybody at the gym is having a good time and enjoying making their bodies and their lives better!

The only other place that I get this feeling is Michael's art supplies, because all the people both customers and staff are into crafts and hobbies and art and decorating, everybody is having a good time doing positive and productive things with their time. (Actually, same thing at Guitar Center.) I bet this is something like going to church or temple is for religious people.

If you want to get happy and healthy you have to bring more healthy activities into your life. Gym is one of them. Watching TV isn't.
Yes, we women don't gain much mass and yes, mass =/= strength. Genetics also come into play when it comes to mass. In my case, lifting has made me firmer and the muscles are defined. They give an illusion of having mass (and I think I have gotten a broader back) because they're defined and hard. My guns look pretty defined by they're only 12.5-13" in circumference.

I was lugging around stuff in our garage this past week and also wood flooring, something unheard of in my pre-workout days. In my forties, my aim is to be STRONG and FIRM.

Exercise has been crucial to me. I don't know about increasing my metabolism, but it has definitely shaken my sluggish metabolism up. The moment I hit 40, my metabolism started to slow down.

Mentally yes, exercise makes me feel like a million bucks. I admit to mirror checking myself often now.
It helps me to try and eat clean most of the time because I don't want to pollute my body.
It has increased my confidence.

Physically, it has given me increased stamina and strength. I am better now at 42 than 22,
I can technically eat more than someone who is sedentary. (But I don't eat that much more..I average around 1700 calories over the course of the week)
I can walk for miles. One day recently I walked over 6 miles, and then did 1.5 hrs. of cardio and weights at the gym on the same day. I overtrained, yes, but think about it - I used to not even walk ONE mile, let alone 6.
Again, I just look better. If I hadn't worked out, the weight loss would have left bags of unsightly loose skin. I still have some of that, but far less, and definitely most people couldn't tell that I've lost over a third of my body weight. Now, I have defined abs, chest, shoulders, no "bat wings".
The nice thing about exercise is that you start to see results even sooner than just diet alone. I started noticing muscular definition within a couple of weeks, even when the scale didn't really move.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Yet sometimes when I am too lazy to cook I throw some left over protein (steak, chicken, shrimp) over salad with a bunch of things like onion, tomato, radishes, mushrooms, etc. and croutons and normal (not diet) dressing, and I'm just fine don't get hungry later.

I think my digestive system is just used to knowing that once dinner hits it, it may get no more food until the next evening. I skip breakfast (and lunch) more often than not, and sometimes eat breakfast just because I feel I should eat something. Breakfast us usually milk and cereal, or 2 poached eggs.

I think my diet is working, but for all the wrong reasons. I do eat healthy foods, and my dinners are reasonable size.
That just wouldn't cut it for me. Since the veggies are so low in calorie and are full of water, my body would burn through that in a nanosecond. Veggies are great for volume, but I will never be full just eating them and meat. Probably if fat were added, maybe.

Also I eat every 2-3 hours. Im just naturally a grazer.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Riaelise, I think you may be like that woman I met in the gym, pushing 3x the weights I was using! I've followed women on other weight machines and could barely move the device until I turned down the weights. Yet they looked like (and often were) just girls!

I'm a gentleman and would never mess with a woman, but I also know that even a small woman might be able to knock me on my arse! You just can't tell with looking at women how strong they may be. A fat woman, probably not very strong. Using all her muscles just to hold up all that fat. But a fit woman? She might be able to out-perform me in every way!

There are ways that women will always out-perform men. The idea of gender equality is ridiculous. If anything, women are the stronger gender if you include a comprehensive set of criteria in your comparison. In my business more of my associates than not are women. The most important members, my Realtor and CPA, are both women. I always say, "The right man for the job just might be a woman."

We have to consider that while men and women resemble one another many ways in diet and exercise, they also differ in significant ways. But for both, looking at it from a high altitude, diet and exercise always result in good health and fitness. There are many roads to get there. It's almost impossible to get there without exercise.

And oh yes I feel so good after a workout. It often lasts me a day, sometimes more! It's a body high!

Old 06-05-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That just wouldn't cut it for me. Since the veggies are so low in calorie and are full of water, my body would burn through that in a nanosecond. Veggies are great for volume, but I will never be full just eating them and meat. Probably if fat were added, maybe.

Also I eat every 2-3 hours. Im just naturally a grazer.
I graze on salty snacks and sip wine before dinner. In dietary terms that's a total abomination!

As I said above, peoples' systems differ. No one thing works for everybody. I just know I'll be in the normal BMI range before end of summer, and my body will look good. And I'm a senior citizen. When I tell people my actual age, they believe me but they are always surprised. I sometimes play with people and ask them to ask my age. The answer is always younger than I really am.

And unless I get run over by the 'Hound I'm going to live longer than most people. When I reach 100 I'm going to insist on 100 candles, and I'm going to blow them all out with one breath.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:53 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:

So Mikala, the moral is that women can get strong muscles but they don't build up as much muscle tissue as men. Since they don't build up as much muscle tissue they get less effect of the principle that muscle tissue burns more calories at idle than fat tissue does.

And another moral is that men better watch out for small women lest the men get kicked on their you know what!

I use that machine, at 125 lbs I can do sets at 175 lbs (I find I do less on that machine as opposed to regular leg presses). My upper body has never been strong when it comes to weights, but I don't care about the numbers, I care about the result.

I was measured at 27% fat, which is high from where I was in my youth, but getting there.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss